Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 10,877 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Hubby has a possible job opportunity to work in Santa Monica. We are a family with two young children and have no idea where to start looking. We live in Boise now! We were looking at possibly Agoura Hills, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, etc. We understand there is traffic and the commute will be hard, but not sure if there will be any difference in commuting to and from those cities to Santa Monica. We are open to cities I haven't mentioned and understand the housing market and real estate costs associated with those areas.

Any information or insights are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM

302 posts, read 452,974 times
I'd say you're best bet is to include the following:

Budget:
Family Size: (You said 4)
School Districts Important: Y/N (some people choose to homeschool, some people don't care and for some it is important)
Will you and/or husband have a car: (Makes a huge difference)
Your personal wants/needs: (Looking to have fun, bars and restaraunts, the arts, quiet neighborhood, etc., family oriented neighborhood)
Time Willing To Spend Commuting: (Your husband works. How long is he willing to sit in a car to make it all work?)

Old 07-14-2015, 05:26 PM

Thank you for your reply! hahah that information would be great to have! Okay so here goes:

Family size 4 - plus two furry four legged doggy children

Yes, we have separate cars

School Districts Important - YES!!

Personal wants/needs- family friendly, quiet neighborhood. Restaurants close, not necessarily walking distance, but don't want to commute to eat.

Time willing to spend commuting - Anything under 1.5 hours would be glorious.

Budget- Preferably buying- housing prices not necessarily an issue.

Thank you!!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Renting or buying? And you forgot to include how much you want to pay for housing

Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM

thank you! Updated!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I know you said housing prices aren't an issue, but be prepared to spend $750k+ for a decent/nice home in the areas you mentioned.

As far as commute lengths, an hour and a half is probably about right. I commute from encino to Santa Monica on occasion and it's usually about 75 minutes. The areas you mentioned are further away, but also give you additional options via pch.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
One can have a decent commute from Woodland Hills to Santa Monica via Topanga Canyon... Just another option.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 PM

73 posts, read 119,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I know you said housing prices aren't an issue, but be prepared to spend $750k+ for a decent/nice home in the areas you mentioned.

As far as commute lengths, an hour and a half is probably about right. I commute from encino to Santa Monica on occasion and it's usually about 75 minutes. The areas you mentioned are further away, but also give you additional options via pch.
It definitely depends on commute time. I commute from Encino to Santa Monica as well and it takes me 20 minutes.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Hi OP, the closest area to Santa Monica that meets all your needs is going to be El Segundo/wiseburn and then most of the rest of the South Bay. All closer than Woodland Hills/agoura Hills, etc. expect an 1800 sq ft 3bd/2ba home with decent yard to start in the mid 700's

10 miles from el segundo to Santa Monica, 18 miles from Woodland Hills through the canyons, 22 miles by freeway.

Oh an El Segundo is near the ocean, though Dockweiler is pretty meh, you are close to really fantastic beaches in the South Bay. Average summer temperature in Woodland Hills is just a couple degrees cooler than hell.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
It definitely depends on commute time. I commute from Encino to Santa Monica as well and it takes me 20 minutes.
It's 16 miles. Most people don't drive at 2am and break the speed limit along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles