Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times

Advertisements

It's called choosing the path of least resistance.
Once they pick it up and put it in a bag, they are now thinking, " What do I have to do to get rid of this stinky mess now ? "

Kinda reminds me about when I was remodeling my kitchen and I had a dumpster delivered to my house. They dropped it off when I was at work and by the time I got home, it was filled up over the top. I had to take time off from work so I could be there when it was emptied so I could roll it into my garage so it wasn't filled up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
My neighborhood is a mix of single family homes and multi family homes. When I have a bag of poop I make it a point to only use the large multi family dumpsters when they are rolled out on the street for collection. I guess you can say this is rude but I dont. As far as dumpsters on Pasadena go, the real crime is that there are straight up bum-businesses that dumpster dive all up and down the residential parts of the downtown district (it's the same 4-5 people that are there every weekday; most people in Pas go to work at peak dumpster diving hours, I bet half the area's residents have no idea a bunch of grubby garbage-people are rummaging around their garbage).

I would never trespass on someone's property to use their garbage cans. It's rude, but more importantly I don't want to get yelled at! Is there anything worse?!?!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
It seems that it's becoming the norm for people who have a bag of excrement from their dog to, rather than take it with them and put it in one of their own trash cans, walk up somebody's else's driveway and use their trash can instead. My neighbor keeps his trash cans in front of his garage, which has a 30 foot setback from the sidewalk, and more than once I've seen people simply walk up his driveway and put a bag of dog excrement in one of them. And the people who are doing it do not live in close proximity to my neighbor, so it's not like my neighbor would have said at any time to these people that they can go ahead and trespass on his property to put a bag of stinky stuff in one of his trash cans.

I used to think it was bad enough when on trash pick-up day, even after the trash cans had been emptied, dog walkers would open up somebody else's can and put a bag of dog waste in it (if you don't want your dog's waste, why do you think somebody else wants it?), but now people seem to believe it's okay to walk almost 30 feet up a stranger's driveway to put a bag of dog waste in somebody else's trash can.

So is this now considered normal behavior in Los Angeles?
If it is locals I agree. However, sometimes when I'm far from my own hood, it can be a challenge to find a public trash can (we have the same issue here, lack of public trash cans). Bus stops and parks are generally the ticket but that can be quite a side trip depending on the situation.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:16 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Why don't the people put theit trash cans in the back yard out of sight so everyone don't have to look at their ugly trash cans all the time. Improve the looks of your neighborhood.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Why don't the people put theit trash cans in the back yard out of sight so everyone don't have to look at their ugly trash cans all the time. Improve the looks of your neighborhood.
You forgot to rant that people who leave garbage cans out are Demokrats trying to ruin property values so illegals can take over the neighborhood cheap and have a place to live and that's how Demokrats are buying votes. You're welcome.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 PM

362 posts, read 544,000 times
Quote:
This is exactly why we keep our trash cans in the garage.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
There are a variety of reasons. One reason may be that a residence has a two car garage, but among its residents there are three cars, so there may be a car in the driveway preventing the trash bins from being rolled into the back yard until the car in the driveway gets moved, and there's no paved sideyard. Another reason may be that a residence has a front garage and paved sideyard, but the part of the sideyard behind its gate is adjacent to a kitchen window so the residents leave the bins right outside the sideyard gate so they don't need to smell them if they open their kitchen window. Another reason may be that there are two or more individual residences on the same property, and so there's no paved area that's also fenced off in which to put trash bins. Another reason may be that there is a step along a sideyard before its gate, and an older person may prefer to not pull their bins up over the step. Etc.

It seems that there's a consensus in this thread that it's inappropriate to walk up private property and use somebody else's trash bins without their permission, so I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't like seeing this. Something I did not mention earlier is that in one particular case of witnessing this behavior, it was late at night, and I knew the figure creeping up my neighbor's driveway was not my neighbor, which almost had me running to call 911 and report a prowler on my neighbor's property.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

It seems that there's a consensus in this thread that it's inappropriate to walk up private property and use somebody else's trash bins without their permission,
The only consensus I'll back outta this thread is that it is a petty pet peeve. Pun intended. But I mean it. The trials and travails of modern California existence

Old 07-21-2015, 11:44 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
When I lived in an urban area, I never had a problem with people leaving bagged dog poop in my curbside trashcan...however, I was upset about the live chihuahua (no joke).

Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM

245 posts, read 382,520 times
It's better than not picking it and have someone step on it. I don't see a problem if the trash can is on the street because it's trash day. I guess the dog walker doesn't want to walk around carrying a bag of poop. I don't get it when some people put pad locks on their trash cans. I mean trash is trash why lock it up. As for the trash cans on the drive way, I would just relocate them to the side of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles