Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM

11 posts, read 27,838 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to buy a house within commuting distance to say downtown L.A. that actually has say 1/4 acre of land? How much combined household income would one need to own an upscale property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:55 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
The answer to your first question is probably no. I am sure there are properties in LA with lots that large, but those would most likely be multi-million dollar properties, and most likely in places like Beverly Hills. I don't know all of the areas around downtown though, so there might be something closer. I just know from what I have seen that lots are usually 1/8 of an acre or smaller, typically smaller.

It depends on what you consider upscale. The median home price in Southern California is about $500,000. What most people would consider upscale will very easily cost you a million or more. Last year I remember seeing a tear-down in Santa Monica for $1.5 million. That was lot value. No more than 1/8 of an acre.

To be able to afford a $1 million house, assuming you put 20% down (that's $200,000) and abide by typical lending ratios where you don't spend more than 1/3 of your income on housing, you'd need to make about $250,000 per year. However, I don't think it is prudent to spend 1/3 of your income on housing, so realistically you'd need to make something more than that.

Here is a property near downtown being sold for land value for $549,000. It doesn't say how big it is.

I just re-read your message. What do you mean when you say "within commuting distance"? How much time are you willing to commit to commuting one-way?

Going east of downtown you can find things "cheaper", but you'll have to go way out to find anything even remotely approaching what most areas in the country would consider even reasonably affordable.

Last edited by motoman; 01-24-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
One may be better off buying two lots and having a home built. Home Construction Costs, labor, have recently gone down.

There are two lots for sale at 1325 silver lake blvd for about $495,000. About 9,000 sq ft which is close to 1/4 acre.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM

61 posts, read 431,446 times
My husband and father-in-law have commuted for years from the Palos Verdes Peninsula to downtown LA. As said previously upscale is subjective

The Palos Verdes Peninsula is one of the only areas south of LA (in Los Angeles County) where acreage (and horse property) is available. Homes here have a wide range of property values from $1mil to $10+ mil depending on location/amenities.

A quick search on realtor.com shows many properties with acreage in LA county however most are not located in what I would define as upscale which is clearly just IMHO.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
One area that we looked at because the properties were larger (lot sizes) and you could get more for your money, was Tujunga. It is not a bad commute at all to downtown and up in the mountain area it was very nice.

Now, it is LAUSD if you have kids in school, but it is a great place to look.

Dawn

Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Hmmm, was that you jsc0787? I got a letter (not a form letter) from a Realtor yesterday stating that they had a client relocating who wanted to know if I would consider selling my house. I've got an 8Ksqft lot. Not on the market tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles