Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
so they are really going to build that line from its planned terminus at expo and crenshaw to west hollywood. Last I heard it was called the pink line.
I don't think there are any definite plans, just an idea that is kicked around. It would probably be funded by the upcoming tax proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamay3 View Post
I messed my math up, and you're right.

59.2 is the number I received from the MetroLink website. But, that's over the cost of a one way. So as long as you're buying a monthly, you are correct. If not, you're better off driving. I do have the issue of having to transfer onto a bus once I get off, but I've been reading up and apparently they offer MetroLink cards with TAP built in and possibly a free transfer. Hopefully so. I do want to keep my car at home and enjoy the scenery or a nap.
Yes I believe there are free Metrolink-to-Metro passes. Transfers within a 2-hour window are free now on Metro, though the price per ride went up to 1.75 (still very low for the US).

Old 08-18-2015, 08:19 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
I messed my math up, and you're right.

59.2 is the number I received from the MetroLink website. But, that's over the cost of a one way. So as long as you're buying a monthly, you are correct. If not, you're better off driving. I do have the issue of having to transfer onto a bus once I get off, but I've been reading up and apparently they offer MetroLink cards with TAP built in and possibly a free transfer. Hopefully so. I do want to keep my car at home and enjoy the scenery or a nap.
You can always give it a try for 1 month to see how it goes. After I started taking the commuter rail I read more books in 1 year than I did in the 10 years since graduating from college. It's amazing how much extra quiet time you get in a day by taking the train. Personally a bus transfer is a deal breaker for me though because I hate the bus. A subway transfer might not be too bad though. Luckily for me it's a 5 minute walk once I get off the commuter rail.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:50 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I love rail systems when they work. I've ridden the rail system often in DC, NY and London. Of course because of the brain trust that runs LA, we have a mish mosh system that doesn't go anywhere I want to go.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:36 AM

302 posts, read 452,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yes I believe there are free Metrolink-to-Metro passes. Transfers within a 2-hour window are free now on Metro, though the price per ride went up to 1.75 (still very low for the US).
$1.75 is cheaper than Chicago, so I'll gladly take that.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
$1.75 is cheaper than Chicago, so I'll gladly take that.
Just to put it in further perspective, NYC's base fare right now is $2.75. The last time it was at or below LA's current rate was 2003 when it was $1.50.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:31 PM

102 posts, read 139,125 times
Wow, I logged in here to ask this exact question, and here it is at the top.

I'm looking to apply for jobs in LA and commute from Redlands, so this looks like a great option.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I love rail systems when they work. I've ridden the rail system often in DC, NY and London. Of course because of the brain trust that runs LA, we have a mish mosh system that doesn't go anywhere I want to go.
Where do you want to go?

Other than the Westside (for now), it pretty much hits every major spot in LA - Downtown, Koreatown, Los Feliz, Hollywood, Long Beach, Culver City, USC, Boyle Heights/East LA, Pasadena, North Hollywood, Warner Center, Downtown Van Nuys. While Burbank and Glendale are conspicuously lacking in Metro access, they do have Metrolink access.

If anything I wouldn't blame it's skeletal qualities on inept management or planning, just the fact that we are so far behind in building our rail system.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Where do you want to go?

Other than the Westside (for now), it pretty much hits every major spot in LA - Downtown, Koreatown, Los Feliz, Hollywood, Long Beach, Culver City, USC, Boyle Heights/East LA, Pasadena, North Hollywood, Warner Center, Downtown Van Nuys. While Burbank and Glendale are conspicuously lacking in Metro access, they do have Metrolink access.

If anything I wouldn't blame it's skeletal qualities on inept management or planning, just the fact that we are so far behind in building our rail system.
It brings up an interesting question though - how DO you get Metrolink to the Westside? Would you route a branch it in the median of the 405 or something? That might be the only way.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:43 PM

302 posts, read 452,843 times
Took the train today and loved it. Only thing is, apparently your train ticket only works on the Metro if it's a monthly pass. I got invalid when I tapped on the bus for my 2 way ride. =[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles