Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,484,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm curious to know what those who left LA (for whatever reason) miss about the city the most. I only lived in LA for 8 months, but I look back on that time with joy. I don't really wonder what would have happened if I stayed for longer, because I don't regret my decision, but LA still remains one of my favorite cities.
-The weather
-The ability to eat outdoors at so many restaurants
-The quality of vegetables and fruits
-The Farmer's Markets (especially Hollywood)
-The Arclight Theater
-The Getty Center
-Outdoor Boot Camp
-The Falcon Theater
-The Venice Boardwalk
-The donuts
-The comedy shows
-Griffith Park
-The Greek Theater
-The Hollywood Bowl
-The people
-The views
-The Griffith Observatory
-Everything

That's after spending a total of 10 months. Feel like we've seen the tip of the iceberg. So much more to see and explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:06 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,764,652 times
I left for about 5 years in the late 90's and returned in the early 2000's:

1) The So.Calif. summers to me as the best anywhere in the U.S. (save for maybe Honolulu). Sunny nearly everyday, low humidity, rarely ever rains. I know the state is in a terrible drought but that is something I missed greatly.

2) The geographic variety in one relatively small area. Nothing like a hike on a 70 degree day in January in the Santa Monica mountains with the Pacific Ocean in one direction and the snow capped San Gabriel or San Bernardino mountains in the other direction. And the city of LA spread out beneath you....

3) The laid back West Coast vibe which places less emphasis on what school you did or did not attend than certain parts of the northeast. What the hell is a Choate anyway?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM

452 posts, read 618,018 times
All of you that spent "months" here, didn't it occur to you that the honeymoon phase was in full effect? Please, write back when you have a decade or two of outrageous rents and traffic under your belt.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:27 PM

21 posts, read 27,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
All of you that spent "months" here, didn't it occur to you that the honeymoon phase was in full effect? Please, write back when you have a decade or two of outrageous rents and traffic under your belt.
I'm not sure what's keeping you in LA. The heavy-drinking dive bar lifestyle of the Midwest is extremely cheap.

I was actually born and grew up in the Midwest and ironically for me its the drinking culture and lack of opportunities in my field that made me leave. All people ever did in my hometown was drink heavily and were, for the most part, completely directionless and unambitious. The drinking culture there never appealed to me personally.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,484,130 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that many of us already have the outrageous rents and ridiculous traffic with an attached list of other c r a p to deal with?

Did it ever occur to you that we are able to see the faults of Los Angeles clearly and they are out weighed, for us, by the advantages?

Did it ever occur to you that we possess the intelligence and understanding to evaluate for ourselves what area of the country we wish to live in?

Did it ever occur to you that, while you are entitled to your opinion, it is just that, a subjective opinion, and as meaningless to us as our opinions seem to be to you?

Did it ever occur to you that some of us have a s h i t load of life experience to draw on that you are totally ignorant of?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,298,512 times
Quote:
Ive done a decade here and Im good here. Would never want to return to the northeast, even for twice the money (well maybe temporarily ). Yeah traffic can suck at times. But there's 2 points to that 1)Traffic also sucks in NYC, ATL, DC, Boston and some other big cities, 2) I think LA County has a high concentration on people doing off beat hour jobs ;waiters, bartenders, real estate, hair stylist, trainers, actors, singers, cops. This type of population tends to fill up roads at all hours of the day

There will be something to complain about wherever you go. But to me, LA is worth the extra expense that it cost to be here. I miss it even when I leave for a few weeks. And I always keep in mind that so many people in other places would love to move here but dont have the courage to buy that ticket.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,867,657 times
1) mountains, trails and the easiness to go backpacking there. I wish I took my chances to go on the Cactus-to-clouds trail...

2) our community. I've always been a lone wolf, but I've met wonderful people there. In Milwaukee, 3 people are a crowd, in LA we invited 20-30 people to our house for a party.

3) you would be surprised, but food is more expensive here in Midwest. And meet and fruits are of better quality in LA than in Midwest. Alscig any other things cost less too.

That's it, so far.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:44 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,650,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
3) you would be surprised, but food is more expensive here in Midwest. And meet and fruits are of better quality in LA than in Midwest. Alscig any other things cost less too.
Beer costs more in LA.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 AM

755 posts, read 673,616 times
Quote:
This thread is called what do you miss about LA, not what do you hate about LA.

I was smart enough to move no further than one state over, so I can visit all the time. I miss the cool evening summer breeze and sun setting on the ocean from the beach vantage point.

driving through Mulholland pass and on Mullholland Blvd
hiking in Altadena
working out on Cal Tech's track
the Sushi
Taking naps next to Janss Steps on UCLA's campus
Diddy Riese 3 cookies and a milk for a buck
the many night clubs
my flag football leagues
3rd street Promenade
Old Town Pasadena
Dodger Stadium
the Getty
Newport Beach
Bolsa Chica boogie boarding
Mt High Skiing/Snow boarding
Vegas runs
Playing softball at Jackie Robinson park
Eating dinner on Ocean Blvd at night
Griffith Park
Playing basketball in Burbank
Tommy's Burgers (chili cheese fries)
Early morning cart hot dog, chips, and soda
The SGV mountains after a hard rain

just to name a few...............

Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,650,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
This thread is called what do you miss about LA, not what do you hate about LA.

I was smart enough to move no further than one state over, so I can visit all the time. I miss the cool evening summer breeze and sun setting on the ocean from the beach vantage point.

driving through Mulholland pass and on Mullholland Blvd
hiking in Altadena
working out on Cal Tech's track
the Sushi
Taking naps next to Janss Steps on UCLA's campus
Diddy Riese 3 cookies and a milk for a buck
the many night clubs
my flag football leagues
3rd street Promenade
Old Town Pasadena
Dodger Stadium
the Getty
Newport Beach
Bolsa Chica boogie boarding
Mt High Skiing/Snow boarding
Vegas runs
Playing softball at Jackie Robinson park
Eating dinner on Ocean Blvd at night
Griffith Park
Playing basketball in Burbank
Tommy's Burgers (chili cheese fries)
Early morning cart hot dog, chips, and soda
The SGV mountains after a hard rain

just to name a few...............

there's a nice dena boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles