Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,763,685 times

Advertisements

Well Boston is out. Looks like they'll try for LA in 2024...

I think it could work but it all comes down to if the people want it again..

What's everyones thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 PM

21 posts, read 27,081 times
LA could turn another profit again with smart planning. Federal funding would start pouring in to jumpstart or create new infrastructure projects. I think people would be insane to not want this to happen.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 PM

601 posts, read 752,809 times
Yes! I'm so for it. U-S-A-U-S-A-U-S-I'll chant whatever you want to get the purple line here faster.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 PM

13,972 posts, read 14,887,449 times
The Olympics are not what they once where, LA 1984 6,500 athletes, London 2012 about 11,000
Security costs have skyrocketed since 9/11, nowadays the Olympics stop cities for 3 weeks. And you have 5 months to plan them because they picked perhaps the most unprepared city possible (city with the least venues) initially.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:42 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,013,853 times
This news is very interesting as it pertains to the on-going saga of the NFL's return to LA. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that by 2024 there will be a "new" NFL-style stadium in the LA area (Inglewood hopefully). With that in mind, LA's bid team will surely use that as one of their key selling points. We'll have plenty of stadium capacity in the LA area, no new large venues would need to be built. Actually, I can't think of any new venues that would need to be built, pretty much just some renovations (Coliseum most likely).

Imagine if Groenke builds that Inglewood palace and gets a Super Bowl in 2020 or 2021, maybe a Final Four, or even a College Football National Title game...and then the Olympics.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 AM

21 posts, read 27,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Actually, I can't think of any new venues that would need to be built, pretty much just some renovations (Coliseum most likely).
And I think USC is trying to gather funds right now to do renovations to the Coliseum. Like I said in my other post, I think the biggest projects needed would be infrastructure and transportation which would definitely be to LA's benefit in the long run.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,013,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4ppyl1fe View Post
And I think USC is trying to gather funds right now to do renovations to the Coliseum. Like I said in my other post, I think the biggest projects needed would be infrastructure and transportation which would definitely be to LA's benefit in the long run.
Transportation infrastructure improvements are already happening in a major way. The Crenshaw rail line will be done by then (so getting to Inglewood will be viable by rail), the Green Line extension to LAX (or people mover, whatever it may be) and the Regional Connector project as well will be completed around then. Expo, of course, will be done by next year.

Also, isn't a new MLS soccer stadium being built in the vicinity of the old LA Sports Arena (or replacing the Sports Arena)?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,660,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Yes! I'm so for it. U-S-A-U-S-A-U-S-I'll chant whatever you want to get the purple line here faster.
yeah, the purple line is indeed much needed! 2030s is too far away!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,762,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post

Also, isn't a new MLS soccer stadium being built in the vicinity of the old LA Sports Arena (or replacing the Sports Arena)?
Yes...

LA's New Soccer Team Reveals Blockbuster Stadium Plan For Exposition Park - Stadium Wars - Curbed LA

Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,762,742 times
It is not at all clear the Olympics are worth the hassle and expense. There is very little evidence hosting the games pays off or increases tourism.

The 1984 games in LA turned a profit in part because, there were no stadiums built. We used (mostly) what was already in place.

Stadiums are big time money losers...that is why the NFL suckers taxpayers into building so many of them. Now, if Kronke or some other rich guy wants to fund a stadium out of their own pocket then so be it.

But this is not 1984 when LA was basically the ONLY city that wanted the Olympics. The current system is like a bidding war between cities. Barcelona in 1992 was coming out of the Franco years and was bound for revitalization. LA's urban core is already coming back to life.

I think I'd rather see LA continue to improve our basic infrastructure and not worry about putting on a show for the rest of the world. Improving basic services: like sidewalk repair, continued rail expansion, open space (LA River), etc. will go a long way to make the city better for residents and tourists alike.

LA does not need the Olympics like some of the less developed counties think they need it. Let the IOC fool some other city into playing their game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles