Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 AM

452 posts, read 619,644 times

Advertisements

We all know Los Angeles lacks in the food department. Sure, there are some good Mexican, Korean, and Thai spots. And In n Out. But that only goes so far. Here is my list of what is missing in Los Angeles, and there are some pretty heavy hitters on here. What say you?

Waffle House
Whataburger
Bojangles Chicken
Schlotzsky's
Culvers Butterburgers
Steak n Shake
Freddys
Happy Joes Pizza Taco Pizza! Why doesn't L.A. have taco pizza???
Pancheros
Lou Malnatis Pizza Good pizza in L.A. is impossible to find
White Castle
Perkins

Honorable mention - someone did open a Portillos in Moreno Valley, and Al's Italian Beef in Chino Hills and I believe Alhambra. But neither have the flavor of the ones in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Now you gotta be kidding right ?
You can knock LA's high housing costs I'll give you that ..
You can say the economy could be better , true

But knocking la's food scene and saying it's lacking ?

Have you been to any of the many new burger places that have been opening for several years ?
Any of the many pizza places ?
I mentioned burgers and pizza because you did .
Also there are tons of bbq places that have opened even in the last year or so .
Add those newer places to the existing ones and there is a ton of stuff
Even people that hate LA otherwise will admit it has an amazing food scene .
Even New Yorkers have admitted LA has an amazing food scene
And it's hard to get them to admit anything positive about LA .

Pretty sure you are kidding with this one..
Next I expect a thread about how the weather in LA is the worst in the country

Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 AM

No, we've been over this on the board before. What is it about the food that people are raving here about? Have they been no where else? The first thing I thought when I moved here, was how I couldn't find any amazing food.

I can make my own burgers, with my Midwest seasoning I pick up back there, better than any restaurant out here.

The BBQ in L.A. is horrendous. There is Philips on Crenshaw, that's it. Don't ramble about the other garbage spots that have opened up out here, I already know of them. Nothing like down south. There is Phils in San Diego that is good (no relation to the Philips in L.A.) but that's it, and it's far.

Pizza is crap out here. Go to Chicago for real pizza.

And NYC'ers talking about L.A.'s food? BWHAHAHA, yeah right. Then lets get some Chicagoans talking, a real food city.

I know L.A. people love to brag their city, but I'm holding my ground on this one, more than housing and wages. There is absolutely no way you can brag about the food here unless you are very ignorant or sheltered. No way. Go travel, try the places above.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,148 times
Why are you asking people in LA why restaurants from other parts of the country aren't here?

Wouldn't it make more sense to go to the Milwaukee board and ask them why Culver's hasn't expanded or the Chicago board to ask them why Lou Malnatti's hasn't?

I mean I understand you only have an AA and that probably doesn't require much critical thinking, but isn't this common sense?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 AM

190 posts, read 214,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Now you gotta be kidding right ?
You can knock LA's high housing costs I'll give you that ..
You can say the economy could be better , true

But knocking la's food scene and saying it's lacking ?

Have you been to any of the many new burger places that have been opening for several years ?
Any of the many pizza places ?
I mentioned burgers and pizza because you did .
Also there are tons of bbq places that have opened even in the last year or so .
Add those newer places to the existing ones and there is a ton of stuff
Even people that hate LA otherwise will admit it has an amazing food scene .
Even New Yorkers have admitted LA has an amazing food scene
And it's hard to get them to admit anything positive about LA .

Pretty sure you are kidding with this one..
Next I expect a thread about how the weather in LA is the worst in the country
909er = moronic

Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
We all know Los Angeles lacks in the food department. Sure, there are some good Mexican, Korean, and Thai spots. And In n Out. But that only goes so far. Here is my list of what is missing in Los Angeles, and there are some pretty heavy hitters on here. What say you?

Waffle House
Whataburger
Bojangles Chicken
Schlotzsky's
Culvers Butterburgers
Steak n Shake
Freddys
Happy Joes Pizza Taco Pizza! Why doesn't L.A. have taco pizza???
Pancheros
Lou Malnatis Pizza Good pizza in L.A. is impossible to find
White Castle
Perkins

Honorable mention - someone did open a Portillos in Moreno Valley, and Al's Italian Beef in Chino Hills and I believe Alhambra. But neither have the flavor of the ones in Illinois.
The first Portillos here in Southern California is actually in Buena Park. Quite good, actually, but wouldn't know how it differs from the Illinois locations as I've never been to those.

But why would you say that LA is not a "food city" just because it lacks chains from other regions?

I think you just like being contrary and, of course, that you don't like LA.

If you mean that LA is not JUST about food, then you are correct, but there is SO MUCH of different kinds of food between the 7 counties that make up the region (San Diego to Santa Barbara, and maybe throw a couple of the other bordering ones in, too. )

Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
There is going to be WAY WAY more variety in food in L.A versus Reno, Minnesota , Cleveland or the other places you have posted about here.

So while not every other place is a 'meat and potato' type "american countrystyle' or whatever place , in those other places it's way harder to find decent ethnic food like mexican,thai,middle eastern,chinese,etc or to find healthier options like "California style" cuisine that is influenced by the abundance of produce available here.

If you just want midwest chain places the midwest is better for you.
That's not what people in L.A want though.

Also a Steak N Shake opened in Santa Monica..

Also No Chicago Style Deep Dish in L.A?
Have you been here?
Masa of Echo Park - 1280 Photos - American (New) - Echo Park - Los Angeles, CA - Reviews - Yelp

Thousands of excellent reviews including people that have LIVED in Chicago..
I guess they are all lying though and/or you have better taste them them right?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM

No there isnt, no they havent, and Masa is absolutely not even in the same ballpark as Genos, Giordanos, or Lou Malnatis.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Are you kidding? LA excels in food options.

I don't care about pizzas, burgers or steaks, but LA has the BEST Chinese good outside China/Taiwan, and one of the best Japanese food, often at very affordable prices.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:08 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
stop feeding the troll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles