Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:13 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

The Ralph's on Alhambra's Main St. recently closed. It is going to be a 99 Ranch. It is an indicator of the larger Asian American population there. I liked the Ralph's, big free parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM

152 posts, read 211,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The Ralph's on Alhambra's Main St. recently closed. It is going to be a 99 Ranch. It is an indicator of the larger Asian American population there. I liked the Ralph's, big free parking.
The Ralph's on the edge of South Pasadena might as well be in Alhambra (the In-N-Out Burger in the center one over actually is classified as being in Alhambra), so it kind of makes sense. I do recall it being tough sometimes to get out in traffic from that South Pas one, though.

But yes, 99 Ranch seems to do well whereever they open. I think they do especially well in bulk groceries, like an Asian food Costco. They obviously study their potential markets.

Last edited by ASensiblePerson; 04-06-2015 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: emoticon and word accidentally placed in reply

Old 04-06-2015, 02:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Traditional mainstream American supermarkets have been on the decline for a while. Right now, it's all about ethnic markets (Asian, Latino, Persian), specialty markets (TJ's, Whole Foods, Sprouts), and big boxes (Costco, Target, Walmart).

The last time I shopped at Hows (the one on Huntington in Pasadena)... I was wondering what the heck I was doing there instead of shopping at Sprouts and TJ's up in East Pas or in Monrovia. I wasn't one only one thinking that because that Hows shuttered just a few months later.

Sadly, I am kind of waiting for the Ralphs around the block from my house to close too, so something better can replace it.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Not gonna lie. 95% of my groceries are done at Target or tj's.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:36 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
There is also a ralphs in south Pasadena as many have said. This ralphs on Main Street was old and run down

Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Traditional mainstream American supermarkets have been on the decline for a while. Right now, it's all about ethnic markets (Asian, Latino, Persian), specialty markets (TJ's, Whole Foods, Sprouts), and big boxes (Costco, Target, Walmart).

The last time I shopped at Hows (the one on Huntington in Pasadena)... I was wondering what the heck I was doing there instead of shopping at Sprouts and TJ's up in East Pas or in Monrovia. I wasn't one only one thinking that because that Hows shuttered just a few months later.

Sadly, I am kind of waiting for the Ralphs around the block from my house to close too, so something better can replace it.
Nothing stays the same , especially in a city like L.A . The specialty markets are nice and I like TJs and Sprouts too , but they are pretty limited. So I think there is still a place for the 'mainstream' American supermarkets.

Produce generally seems a lot more expensive at ralphs versus some of the more ethnic markets.

I think it would be pretty hard to do all your shopping at just TJs for example.

Also most people want to shop where it's convenient. If I had a TJs or Sprouts right near me , i'd probably go there most of the time , rather than Ralphs. Ralphs just happens to right near my house so I end up going there most of the time.

Ralphs does feel kind of mediocre and there isn't anything really exciting , interesting about the products. A lot of the stuff they sell also doesn't seem too healthy. When you go to a TJs or Sprout or Whole Foods its a totally different feel. Some of that could just be psychological and branding , but it seems like when you buy stuff there it's going to nourish you in a certain way that the food from Ralphs doesn't have.

Of course you can find healthy options in any market..but it's a lot easier in a TJs/Sprouts/Whole foods or even a lot of the ethnic markets that stick to the basics or have items with simple ingredients versus super sugary or processed stuff.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Wow. I used to go there sometimes, they always seemed to be pretty busy though it wasn't really anything special. Either way, cool news. Love 99 Ranch... Except the overwhelming smell of the fish area.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
I wonder when 99 Ranch will be coming to the west side...

Old 04-06-2015, 05:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I thought it was interesting there is one in Van Nuys...the zip code where the van nuys store only seems to be 6% asian, but i'm sure people drive from other parts of the valley and maybe westside to the van nuys store perhaps.

I haven't been into the stores before but I should. I like checking out different types of markets to see what they have.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Nothing stays the same , especially in a city like L.A . The specialty markets are nice and I like TJs and Sprouts too , but they are pretty limited. So I think there is still a place for the 'mainstream' American supermarkets.

Produce generally seems a lot more expensive at ralphs versus some of the more ethnic markets.

I think it would be pretty hard to do all your shopping at just TJs for example.

Also most people want to shop where it's convenient. If I had a TJs or Sprouts right near me , i'd probably go there most of the time , rather than Ralphs. Ralphs just happens to right near my house so I end up going there most of the time.

Ralphs does feel kind of mediocre and there isn't anything really exciting , interesting about the products. A lot of the stuff they sell also doesn't seem too healthy. When you go to a TJs or Sprout or Whole Foods its a totally different feel. Some of that could just be psychological and branding , but it seems like when you buy stuff there it's going to nourish you in a certain way that the food from Ralphs doesn't have.

Of course you can find healthy options in any market..but it's a lot easier in a TJs/Sprouts/Whole foods or even a lot of the ethnic markets that stick to the basics or have items with simple ingredients versus super sugary or processed stuff.
Some of the newer renovated ralphs fresh fare stores aren't so bad. Many of the ralphs fresh fare stores have large sushi bars,boars head deli meats, clean isles and fresh produce.

Ralphs and other grocery stores seem to be pulling out of lower income ethnic neighborhoods.

Ralphs seems to thrive and do very well in middle and upper middle class neighborhoods.

Ralphs which is owned by kroger isn't going anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles