Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 77,550 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have recently had the opportunity of moving from Columbus, Ohio to Torrance for a job. I really want to take this opportunity but I'm not too sure about housing arrangements. I'm 22 and will live by myself. I'm thinking of just renting a studio. I have a friend who lives in Sherman Oaks with his girlfriend, but the boss at the job in Torrance said that's about an hour and a half drive with traffic. I kind of want to find a spot in between Sherman Oaks and Torrance so I will have somebody to chill with.

Seems as though it would be a lot easier to find a place in Torrance and just meet up with him at other times. I would only be making about $12/hr plus my car payment is $230+. So, my income would not be great. I'm thinking I may need to find a second part-time job? Does anybody know of anything decent around that wouldn't cut my money too thin? The area code of the job location is 90501.

Thanks

Last edited by AlanD04; 01-24-2008 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: new thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,558 times
sherman oaks is in the valley. the problem is not only that that is quite far from torrance, it is also inconvenient to access unless you're already right over the hill from it along the beverly hills-west hollywood-hollywood stretch. even if you were to live someplace like culver city, that won't help you get in and out of the valley to see your friends any more easily; it would just put you farther away from work.

live near your job. you'll make new friends and have people to hang out with in no time, and you can see your old friends on the weekend or find places to meet halfway during the week. you don't want to make the valley the hub of your social life unless you're going to be living there.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 PM

830 posts, read 2,849,999 times
I will second the above.

I would also suggest getting a roommate. At $12 an hour, you honestly won't be able to afford a place to live on your own. You will only be making about $2,000 per month. A studio is going to run you almost $1,000 per month in most places. Torrance may be cheaper. And then with a $230+ car payment, insurance, and $3+ per gallon gas, dude, you aren't going to have any money at all. I am not kidding.

Now that I think about it, you are definitely going to need a second job.

Not trying to bust your bubble, but you need to do the math on your finances before you take the plunge.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD04 View Post
Hello, I have recently had the opportunity of moving from Columbus, Ohio to Torrance for a job......

the job in Torrance said that's about an hour and a half drive with traffic.....

I would only be making about $12/hr plus my car payment is $230+. ....

I'm thinking I may need to find a second part-time job?
You are moving across the country for a $12/hour job, and will be looking for a second part time job? So something like 60 hours per week?

I think you are in for a rough time.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:14 PM

22 posts, read 77,550 times
I was surprised to find out that the job payed less in CA than it does in my town in OH. With cost of living more in CA, how can they expect their employees to live off that? I think it's like $11.50/hr normally.

The reason for taking the job is because I went to school for audio & music production. There aren't many studio options where I live and I know the majority of the business is in the SoCal area.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,492,160 times
I'd suggest you get a place in the south bay. By Far, Way, Way, Way more happening than sherman oaks. Look for rooms for rent in hermosa beach, and you will live in an area with quite a bit activity, while on a month to month lease/contract. Closer to the Hermosa Pier, the better - unless you are a bookworm and like to collect bugs.

You will then be free to move to a better opportunity or bail out hassle free.

check here for a start: los angeles craigslist > rooms & shares: search for "hermosa beach"
There are some pretty cheap month to month options.

Once you get settled and on your feet, $ saved for a deposit, move forward.

Forget about your friend and sherman oaks. Thats way too far and you need to concentrate on yourself rather than your friend. He has a girlfriend and his own commitments, responsibilities etc. Anyways, she will get tired of you hanging around.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM

830 posts, read 2,849,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD04 View Post
I was surprised to find out that the job payed less in CA than it does in my town in OH. With cost of living more in CA, how can they expect their employees to live off that? I think it's like $11.50/hr normally.

The reason for taking the job is because I went to school for audio & music production. There aren't many studio options where I live and I know the majority of the business is in the SoCal area.

Supply and demand. There are a lot of people in the LA area wanting to get into the audio/music production business, but there are only so many jobs. Too much supply, not as much demand, equals lower wages than you would expect.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM

23,418 posts, read 23,765,808 times
If you're working in Torrance, DO NOT live in the valley (e.g. Sherman Oaks) unless you're leaving for work no later than 4:30am. The traffic between the valley and the south bay curve (just before you get to Torrance) is absolutely horrible. The 405 is notorious for its traffic - you don't want to make that commute.

As others have said, you're going to have a hard time making ends meet with the wage you'll be getting. You'll want to do some SERIOUS financial planning before accepting the offer and making the move.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM

392 posts, read 1,854,066 times
Well on the bright side you shouldn't have to much problem making more than $12 an hour at your second job
I work in 90501. A woman I work with lives just down the road in west Torrance (90503) and shares a nice 2 bedroom for less than $800 a month. Something like that is probably your best bet.
As others have said it is best to live near work. That will be especially true if you are working 2 jobs. Otherwise your life will be spent in the car or at work. Having time to chill with a friend would only be a dream.
Cheaper areas near by are Carson, Gardena, Hawthorne and Torrance PO (Harbor Gateway), none are as safe or nice but that doesn't mean you would necessarily run into trouble. Party areas are the beach cities. Torrance is more a family type, safe area.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM

71 posts, read 371,080 times
Forget the beach cities unless you want to rent a room in someone's house or get roommates. If you are single I strongly suggest you do one of those two things if you want to live in a good neighborhood. I would stay out of Harbor Gateway area right now as they are having some serious gang warfare going on right now, random racially motivated shootings of people who aren't even in gangs by gang members. The beach cities (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan) are probably the most desirable for a young single who wants to make friends and have fun, it's just they are horribly expensive. Hence the roommate or rent a room in someone's house option. But they are great fun places to live with lots to do in your spare time.

And I totally concur with not even considering the valley. When my office move from Culver City (north of LAX but on this side of the valley) to Woodland Hills folks who lived in Westchester and Culver City were finding themselves spending one and a half to two hours just getting there in the morning and again going home in the evening. It's just not reasonable commute by any stretch.

If you want to live alone, look into a studio rather than a one bedroom. Areas such as Gardena, San Pedro, and Long Beach are possibilities but it won't be much and it'll tax your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles