Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times

Advertisements

Here's s video for all those disillusioned, disenchanted, or just broken by the City of Angels. Keep your heads up. You are not alone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntlt2tKi4do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 11:45 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
LA is still and will always be the best city in the U.S. I only see downsides in regards to the job market and the wages not meeting pace with COL, the highest and worst disconnect in the nation.

The city council is trying to remedy the situation so hopefully that will put LA on the same playing field as DC, Boston and SF being expensive cities with comparable salaries to offset the high COL. Then again those cities have well below our unemployment numbers.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
LA is still and will always be the best city in the U.S. I only see downsides in regards to the job market and the wages not meeting pace with COL, the highest and worst disconnect in the nation.

The city council is trying to remedy the situation so hopefully that will put LA on the same playing field as DC, Boston and SF being expensive cities with comparable salaries to offset the high COL. Then again those cities have well below our unemployment numbers.
What is the city council doing to remedy the situation?..
And how would L.A be on a level playing field with DC,Boston and SF? People in those cities don't struggle to make ends meet?

Old 08-10-2015, 12:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What is the city council doing to remedy the situation?..
And how would L.A be on a level playing field with DC,Boston and SF? People in those cities don't struggle to make ends meet?
They're tackling affordable housing issues and already raised the minimum wage to 15 an hour. It's s start. And yes of course people struggle in those other cities but job growth are their strengths along with higher wages, two things that make LA an extra killer for working people.

I've never had an issue with the city in terms of aesthetics, it's people or that's it in my opinion a over valued in terms of price but the biggest drawback was the job market.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Personally I don't think raising the min wage to $15 an hour is good..also it will still be several years until that happens.
I expect quite a few layoffs, cut hours and businesses moving to nearby areas where the min wage is not $15 by then. I don't want to make this a discussion about the min wage increase though as there are other threads for that.

I do agree that there are quite a few people that may be earning less money than they might earn in DC,Boston or SF but from what i've seen those places are actually even more expensive than L.A too..

Old 08-10-2015, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 7,746 times
Oh please....

Show me a video that talk about the middle class who can't afford housing in LA despite having a six figure income. Let's talk about that Angels!

Old 08-10-2015, 04:09 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
It's a big world, opportunities are all around, why limit yourself geographically?

Old 08-10-2015, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 7,746 times
Opportunities ARE world wide but one of those days when you chase them around, you'll miss a place you can call home. There is nothing wrong for wanting to put down an anchor so to speak.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:03 AM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
What a motivational video. I'm not even moving out there to be in the industry and it made me just want to get up and GO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles