Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,263 times

Advertisements

Howdy y'all.

I have the ability to move into a rent-controlled room about 500 feet south of the 101, off of Temple on North Bixon St. I've heard rough things about Firmin Street, and that the area is still moreorless gang turf. Is this so? I've lived in sketch places in Oakland before, but I thought that LA is a ****load safer. Note: I'm not convinced that gentrification is a great thing to happen for a community, so please don't think that I am, or am asking to be judged. Thought I would just come to you folks as you might know best, given you live in the area.

I guess I am asking, as I would like to be able to walk around at night and after shows get out.

Thanks Reddit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 11:19 AM

490 posts, read 655,713 times
I think you mean Bixel street?
I don't believe this area is "Gang turf", though it's definitely one of the worse parts of Echo Park.
Judging by my visits, it's safer than most places in Oakland that's for sure
The main reason I wouldn't suggest walking around at night along that area of Temple, is because there really isn't much going on. You or anybody else walking around at that time probably wouldn't be up to any good.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:57 AM

116 posts, read 118,212 times
Daytime is fine. Walking home from shows on Sunset late at night is not safe. If you want to be able to walk home from shows on Sunset you need to live north of the freeway and east of glendale (or anywhere north of Sunset).

Old 08-11-2015, 12:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,292,512 times
This is not a safe area. Gangs operate in that area. It's right near Westlake, which has a heavy gang presence (MS 13, etc.). In the roughly 1 square mile area bounded by the 101, 110, Alvarado, and 6th Street, there have been 4 murders this year and 7 murders in the last 12 months.

I'm not sure where you lived in Oakland, but this area isn't desirable. If you lived somewhere liked East Oakland, then relatively speaking, the area you're looking at may be a tad better, but that's not saying much.

If you were to live in Echo Park, you want to live north of the 101, and preferably above Sunset. Not sure what your budget is, but if you can afford somewhere north, I'd highly recommend that. Not to mention, that location is right by the heavily congested 101 and 110, so you're going to be breathing a lot of particulate matter. So even if the area was safe, not a good place health wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles