Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:58 AM

371 posts, read 637,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateGal View Post
As the title suggests, I'm more ready than ever to relocate to LA. I've been scared, hanging on to things in DFW that I shouldn't have, and didn't have financial means to take the plunge until recently. However, I still have some reservations. Any insight is welcome.

1. Do men date for committment in LA? Being a liberal in DFW, there are few men who meet my criteria, and the "christian" men seem to think they are owed various sexual favors if they buy me a drink. I'm ready for a true committed healthy relationship, and the options here are sparse.

2. I want a newer area of town with some new construction, so not to have too much of a culture shock. What areas have the most new construction for houses to purchase or rent?

3. I am agnostic and very spiritual, and don't want to see too many religious folks. What are the best parts of town for this?

4. Work is not a concern, as I will be telecommuting.

5. I'm very into volunteering and giving back to the community, and like a similar place.

6. Ultimately, I want to settle and raise children on a few acres of land. Where could I find such land?

Any answers will be helpful and cut down on my research time.

On the flip side, has anyone relocated from DFW and 1. Enjoys it or 2. Regrets it? Thank you.
1) This isn't so much a regional thing as it is a societal thing, I think. You'll find jerks and non-jerks anywhere you go. And keep in mind that many people who now live in Dallas are originally from California. There's been a huge migration from CA to TX in the past several years.

2) Agreeing with other posters that heading out to Riverside might work for you, particularly areas like Canyon Crest. Or, you could head west to Simi Valley (esp. western portion, and I think there's new development in the northeastern portion? Not sure), Thousand Oaks, Westlake, Ventura, Oxnard. None of these are new cities, but the building design may be more to your liking. Temecula and Murrieta could work well -- newer construction there -- though you'd be closer to San Diego than L.A.

3) You phrased this really poorly.... You will find religious people all over SoCal. The proportion that hurls their religion at other people tends to be smaller than in Texas (I lived in central Texas for a few years, so I know how visible religion is there), but you won't find segregated areas where there are no religious people. Live and let live here. Seriously.

Edit: You know, I'm getting more and more annoyed with this. I know from experience that living in Texas can be tough if you aren't religious, but your phrasing is arrogant and intolerant. And not very "spiritual."

4) Choose a few places to go to regularly to get yourself out of the house, even if they're Target and Starbucks, as someone mentioned.

5) Do you really have to ask about this? You can do this anywhere.

6) Most likely not in California, unless you'd like to live out in the desert. You'd have to choose your area carefully though, as many of the desert areas aren't the safest (east Palmdale, Barstow, Desert Hot Springs, etc.)

Last edited by Jehjeh; 08-14-2015 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I don't even know where to start, but I don't think L.A. is for you.

1. You can count on a commitment of at least 2-3 hours from most guys.

2. There are no "new parts" of L.A.. the new parts are far away from L.A. as mentioned earlier. However, there is new construction sprinkled throughout the city.

3. We tried to fence in all the religious people in one area, but they kept climbing over so we gave that up.

5. There are volunteering opportunities wherever you go.

6. There are areas in the north Valley and also west of the Valley where you can find "a few acres of land" for under a million dollars, otherwise you will be in one of the aforementioned far away places.

LOL...great comments.

I love it when people say "I telecommute so work is not an issue".

Do these people have a contract from their employer stating they have the job for life? Whose to say down the road you relocate and than get laid off? You don't relocate somewhere without checking into the job market in your field.

OP, from what you have written LA isn't for you, as others suggested try the PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles