Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 AM

27 posts, read 28,739 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to move to LA (or southern California in general) for quite some time now, but I always hear about the insanely high cost of living. I've thought about New York too, although I heard it's even more expensive. But do you get paid more in NYC? How does the income to cost of living ratio compare to LA?

I work in accounting, and I'll likely be staying in the finance field for now. In which city would I likely make more money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:29 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
I do not work in finance but wanted to chime in with tactic I have used in this situation. Plug in your title (or the title you plan to achieve post-move) into GlassDoor.com and compare user submitted salaries in both regions. This way you're not working with a generic salary aggregator which we all know to be questionable. Then take those figures and jump on PadMapper to compare against the cost of housing in areas you're comfortable living. Since housing is the single largest budget item in both regions, you can come to a decent conclusion about your discretionary income. Room for error, of course, but it gives you an idea.

Hopefully that's helpful. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Go with whichever city excites you more... Salaries will vary, cost of living on different items will vary, but it's really meaningless if you aren't happy with the city.

BTW, I'd say Boston might be a better choice than NYC.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:41 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Put out feelers in both cities and see which city has better positions available.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,755 times
You'll make more in NYC, but the taxes are higher there also. quality of life not so great in my humble opinion (born and raised in NYC, moved out 18 months ago)

Old 08-13-2015, 10:10 PM

190 posts, read 214,313 times
Without even checking, I would say LA is better for an accountant. NYC living is not sustainable for most professionals less they work in finance (banking and trading), law, tech, mgmt level... Do you have your CPA?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
NYC pays more but the housing is outrageously expensive. LA is less expensive and the wages are lower compared to the majors, SF, NYC, DC and Boston. LA has the worst disconnect between rent/housing prices and wages among the major cities. I'm sure as an accountant it will all vary and you can find a good medium if you look but for the most part it's not what I would call ideal to just expect everything to fall into place right away for you.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I agree with the idea that you shouldn't just base where you live solely on how much money you can make.
Of course if you were in the financial/stock market field then NYC seems to be the place to be...just like L.A would be the place to be in the entertainment industry...although there are other markets that are doing that.
Perhaps a better example would be like the SF Bay Area for the tech industry.

Housing in NYC is going to be more expensive per square ft, probably older, less amenities too.
Other things will end up costing more too.
One advantage to NYC though would be that you can get by without a car. Cars are a big expense. Even if you have a used car. Once you add up insurance, gas , maintenance, etc.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
Without even checking, I would say LA is better for an accountant. NYC living is not sustainable for most professionals less they work in finance (banking and trading), law, tech, mgmt level... Do you have your CPA?
Teachers, bus drivers, nurses, and other working class people all live and own homes in NYC.

That doesn't mean the OP should chose NYC, but as someone from NYC I hate to see people talk about things they clearly know nothing about.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Many people (outside of NYC) only think of NYC as Manhattan too.

It would be like thinking of L.A as only the Westside or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: