Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:43 PM

600 posts, read 826,790 times

Advertisements

I went to Tam's Burgers for the first time in Compton where Suge Knight killed that guy. Delicious food at a very reasonable price. I was quite pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,517,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I went to Tam's Burgers for the first time in Compton where Suge Knight killed that guy. Delicious food at a very reasonable price. I was quite pleased.
Suge Knight is a real idiot and thug and a killer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2097979

He had a great opportunity to actual be somewhat decent and profit off the music like Dr.Dre and Snoop Dogg....both of whom are worth a fortune now and seem to pretty much keep out of trouble.
Snoop has consistently made music , while the quality has fallen..but I'm sure even if he didn't record another new song he would continue to make millions just from royalties and different branding deals ,etc.

Dr.Dre of course has made a huge fortune.
He is reportedly worth half a billion dollars.
Why Dr. Dre Isn't A Billionaire Yet

He made an amazing fortune with Beats by Dr.Dre headphones too.

Meanwhile it seems that Suge never grew up and still wants to live the pathetic existance of a street thug.
Snoop had his issues when he was younger...but he seems to have outgrown that type of behavior and thuggery...he's probably smart enough to realize that it's not worth acting like an idiot and losing everything he has.

His wealth is estimated around $100million or so.

Example of how sick Suge Knight is ...he made fun of EAZY E dying of Aids in 2003
Suge Knight's Joke About Eazy-E's Death in 2003 Is Shocking [VIDEO]

Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 AM

I saw the film , thought it was pretty good overall . Glad I didn't grow up in Compton

Old 08-26-2015, 09:24 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,426 times
Compton is still a pit.
If it ever gentrifies, that will be decades from now.
Some of The areas that are currently moving toward gentrification is a part of east LA, areas abutting echo park and silverlake, and some places along the 110 north of downtown.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:26 AM

861 posts, read 854,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Compton's rep for being a ****house was long long before this movie came out.... LOL.......

I hope that Compton goes through a Brooklyn style makeover, but if it ever gentrifies it would force out the poorer people that live there, so there is always a negative flip side...
That has already been happening as folks have been moving out to the inland empire

Compton will probably gentrify and this film will be a reminder of how things once were. Just like manhattan based gangster films shine a light on the era when parts of the island were still rough.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,420,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I saw the film , thought it was pretty good overall . Glad I didn't grow up in Compton
I'm with you there. The actors did a great job in the film overall. The movie helped to fill in some gaps in the timeline/story that were missed by a rap music-living kid growing up in the 80's/90's with no internet.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:39 AM

203 posts, read 577,958 times
Quote:
Honestly, the movie doesn't really make Compton seem horrible. The one gang confrontation actually happened on Slauson in L.A. (to be accurate, they were going west on Slauson between Vermont and Normandie, but they were coming from Taft in the Valley, headed to where Ice Cube lived, near Western/108 and not Compton....so this was off). They show that Dre's brother was killed in Compton, and they mention that "you might leave in a body bag" regarding the club, but I don't think they really show it in a bad light as a whole.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
Honestly, the movie doesn't really make Compton seem horrible. The one gang confrontation actually happened on Slauson in L.A. (to be accurate, they were going west on Slauson between Vermont and Normandie, but they were coming from Taft in the Valley, headed to where Ice Cube lived, near Western/108 and not Compton....so this was off). They show that Dre's brother was killed in Compton, and they mention that "you might leave in a body bag" regarding the club, but I don't think they really show it in a bad light as a whole.
Perhaps it didn't show a ton of gang violence directly...the point of the film was more to tell the story of the rappers.
Even if one isn't killed or around a bunch of killing , it seemed clear the message was that Compton wasn't a great place to live.
One of their big hit songs, F the police seemed to mostly be created because they were targeted by the police although they weren't committing any crimes. There is the one scene where they are just outside their recording studio and get harassed by the cops.
Obviously I wasn't there...but there seemed to be a strong message of police harassment.
I could see being resentful and angry if I was harassed by the police even though I wasn't doing anything.

I know there back in the day there was also a ton of controversy around ICE-T's song cop killer .

I think it's kind of funny how these people that were viewed as really controversial back in the day like ICE Cube and ICE-T are now actors in mainstream movies.

ICE T has been on law and order a show that is probably watched by people that would never even listen to a rap song.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I'm with you there. The actors did a great job in the film overall. The movie helped to fill in some gaps in the timeline/story that were missed by a rap music-living kid growing up in the 80's/90's with no internet.
Yeah I thought so too. I think the film had some good messages too. Namely, following your vision or passion even if it's something that a lot of people don't take seriously. Piece of mind/independence/freedom is almost always better than money , even people you consider good friends can still fall victim to greed/excess and ********* over.

Hopefully a lot of people picked up on those messages.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM

317 posts, read 404,398 times
Quote:
I saw it too. What a great film. It had a good balance of comedic relief and sending its clear message to the audience. Related to the topic, there were times where in my head I wanted to just punch a cop (beginning, LA riots, and the detroit concert) but it didnt really leave me feeling that way, all it did was make me love the group. The actor who played Eazy completely nailed his role. O'shea jr also did a great job playing his dad too.

Oh and Suge Knight is scum, especially seeing that video of him running over two people. Too bad he didnt die and not Eazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles