Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,089,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Uh, it sounds like you just don't like g-funk. Lol.Why are you judging people in the city were g-funk was founded, that they listen to too much ice cube? Am I really going to go to houston and wonder why everybody likes Z-ro, slim thug, And dj screw? It's not like LA people don't listen to east coast & southern rap too. We just like west coast stuff more.

Plus, why would you even come after LA when arguably LA has the best hiphop talent in the USA today? If you don't like it, why question why everybody is so nostalgic about things they grew up on?

Edit:

Backpackers Help Line: 281-330-8004
It's not that I don't like g funk it's that when talking with Angelenos they act as though that era put rap on the map or something. Your quote about LA having the best hip hop talent to me speaks volumes. I'm assuming you mean most popular right now? The sound here to me sounds too dated sometimes and the indie artists are trying too hard to revive that old school sound, the get yer mind correct kinda lyrics. I mean it just doesn't compare, sorry.

You can type in all the xyz sardonic quips you want, artists making independent bread from cities out in Memphis or Houston sound better to me. It may just be cus I grew up in htown and was spoiled by the artists there, but Scarface >>>Dre, Snoop, Cube, but not Pac. Geto Boys > NWA, lyric wise maybe not production wise.

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 01:20 PM

Reason why I question is because I feel as though the hype is grander than the actual quality of the west coast sound. I'm also into house music so I'll break it down like this; people rave over the current EDM style house that's jammed in Vegas when some have no clue about real quality house by artists like Frankie Knuckles, Masters at Work, and the like. Hype and popularity and living off the fact that this is LA seems to override actually discerning the quality in the sound of hip hop. I know I grew up in Houston but that was more of a coincidence rather than bias, I could htown hip hop if it was from Cleveland. I prefer the style of off the wall vulgar but also witty style of southern acts like 3-6, eight ball and mjg, outkast, Scarface, ugk, lil keke and z-ro.

There's something there that just sounds better. And I don't know about you but the second I heard Swinming Pools by Kendrick, I thought it was a southern artist. Same with kanye's mercy.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,013,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It's not that I don't like g funk it's that when talking with Angelenos they act as though that era put rap on the map or something. Your quote about LA having the best hip hop talent to me speaks volumes. I'm assuming you mean most popular right now? The sound here to me sounds too dated sometimes and the indie artists are trying too hard to revive that old school sound, the get yer mind correct kinda lyrics. I mean it just doesn't compare, sorry.

You can type in all the xyz sardonic quips you want, artists making independent bread from cities out in Memphis or Houston sound better to me. It may just be cus I grew up in htown and was spoiled by the artists there, but Scarface >>>Dre, Snoop, Cube, but not Pac. Geto Boys > NWA, lyric wise maybe not production wise.

Just my two cents.
Name these rappers that need to update their sound.

Last edited by jamills21; 08-27-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Name these rappers that need to update their sound.
I've been to a few hip hop shows with local talent and most of them sounded similar. Alexander Spit and overdoz, that type of stuff. It wasn't exactly old school but the rapping scheme and the beats just sounded whack to me, I mean it just didn't have any flair or wit. The other shows I went to the style was reviving that 90s fashion along with some of the beats.

I'm not here to totally knock west coast rap just that it's not the best. We have different tastes, let's just leave it at that. I prefer Lil Keke ft Kirko Bangz, Worry about you. That's my style, that's what I like, that's what I consider quality over the spacey sounding jams yall like here.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I've been to a few hip hop shows with local talent and most of them sounded similar. Alexander Spit and overdoz, that type of stuff. It wasn't exactly old school but the rapping scheme and the beats just sounded whack to me, I mean it just didn't have any flair or wit. The other shows I went to the style was reviving that 90s fashion along with some of the beats.

I'm not here to totally knock west coast rap just that it's not the best. We have different tastes, let's just leave it at that. I prefer Lil Keke ft Kirko Bangz, Worry about you. That's my style, that's what I like, that's what I consider quality over the spacey sounding jams yall like here.

I not here to **** on you, but you suck...LOL!!! OK!

Cozz, Boogie,

Ty Dolla $ign

Skeme, RJ

All these dudes have different styles. I don't know how you can say any differently. This is the difference, LA artist can hop on any beat and style compare
Oh My with
Let Me Rap. I can imagine Kendrick on the Barter 6 but can you imagine thugger on TPAB? LOL!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2015, 04:34 PM

Dude, this is the best LA has? Are you really young or I must be getting old or both? The first video you posted sounded like a wannabe Southern track and the video reminded me of something Trae the Truth would shoot in Fifth Ward. Basically, it's imitation.

And the second video was just bougie as hell. That's what I do not like about these young cats from LA, their music is for hipsters with all the H&M clothing, 90s fashion, and the jazzy Diggable Planets sounding beats. The lyrics are even worse. I just cannot get into any of this. They don't even bump this on the east coast and that's where that sound seems to have originated.

I might be the preppiest white dude you'd ever meet but I love my rap music kinda ratchet and only the dirty south can fill that void. And of course you'd compare Houston's weakest rapper with LA's best. Lamar is of course better than Slim but Z-ro in my opinion, blows Lamar out the water. As do Trae the Truth and Scarface.

I prefer:

Project Pat - Never Be a G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9X7NtGMYzY
^ This song pretty much sums it up for me on West Coast rap....

Big Krit - Old School (studio album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7N_3FBwzi8

Z-Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7iMgH3Y88o

and the old school tune that never gets old:

Lil Keke - 25 Lighters on my dresser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtFb77Gmtk

Why do you think they try to mimic the dirty south sound to no end? Texas and the South represented hard, even though I'll admit the success has really gotten to their heads and they're trying to catch up to all the new crap out now (and failing). But it's all about what style you like. I know the coasts prefer the more artistic style of rapping, very broad and tended for a wider audience. Anyone can get into it. The southern style is a coded, heavily slang filled narrative about the hustle game and daily life in the ghetto. Houston rappers like Pimp C are vulgar, brutal yet his lyrics are still witty, sing songy, and tell one hell of a story. That's what I prefer them and why their music resonates with a crowd that thirsts for that kind of rap. The stuff you posted wasn't bad but it just felt like it was posing. It didn't feel as lyrical to me.

The stuff I posted was just what I could think of off the top of my head. There is a hell of a lot more. I am not knocking LA and I will give the music a shot. I think it would be narrow minded of me to not give it a shot and get into the different styles. I just feel spoiled coming from Houston when it and the South came up from being in the shadow of the coasts and I honestly think they out shined them and everything out there in the main now just seems like a cheap imitation.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:43 PM

203 posts, read 580,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Perhaps it didn't show a ton of gang violence directly...the point of the film was more to tell the story of the rappers.
Even if one isn't killed or around a bunch of killing , it seemed clear the message was that Compton wasn't a great place to live.
One of their big hit songs, F the police seemed to mostly be created because they were targeted by the police although they weren't committing any crimes. There is the one scene where they are just outside their recording studio and get harassed by the cops.
Obviously I wasn't there...but there seemed to be a strong message of police harassment.
I could see being resentful and angry if I was harassed by the police even though I wasn't doing anything.

I know there back in the day there was also a ton of controversy around ICE-T's song cop killer .

I think it's kind of funny how these people that were viewed as really controversial back in the day like ICE Cube and ICE-T are now actors in mainstream movies.

ICE T has been on law and order a show that is probably watched by people that would never even listen to a rap song.
It did show the message that Compton was tough, but what's funny is that main Cop scene outside the studio was in Torrance...and Torrance is a "much better place to live" on paper.

Police definitely targeted us everywhere in L.A...in our own "hoods" and in the suburbs, usually for different reasons. The Sheriffs in cities like Carson would be on my head, talking about "what are you doing in Carson??? Your address says you live near Rosecrans/Crenshaw, why are you over here? You got drugs in your trunk? You from Shotgun Crip?" and I was faaaaaaar from that lifestyle.

It is wild to see that Ice-T and Ice Cube (both Ice's) have made such huge progress in entertainment...nobody woulda ever expected it.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Dude, this is the best LA has? Are you really young or I must be getting old or both? The first video you posted sounded like a wannabe Southern track and the video reminded me of something Trae the Truth would shoot in Fifth Ward. Basically, it's imitation.

And the second video was just bougie as hell. That's what I do not like about these young cats from LA, their music is for hipsters with all the H&M clothing, 90s fashion, and the jazzy Diggable Planets sounding beats. The lyrics are even worse. I just cannot get into any of this. They don't even bump this on the east coast and that's where that sound seems to have originated.

I might be the preppiest white dude you'd ever meet but I love my rap music kinda ratchet and only the dirty south can fill that void. And of course you'd compare Houston's weakest rapper with LA's best. Lamar is of course better than Slim but Z-ro in my opinion, blows Lamar out the water. As do Trae the Truth and Scarface.

I prefer:

Project Pat - Never Be a G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9X7NtGMYzY
^ This song pretty much sums it up for me on West Coast rap....

Big Krit - Old School (studio album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7N_3FBwzi8

Z-Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7iMgH3Y88o

and the old school tune that never gets old:

Lil Keke - 25 Lighters on my dresser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtFb77Gmtk

Why do you think they try to mimic the dirty south sound to no end? Texas and the South represented hard, even though I'll admit the success has really gotten to their heads and they're trying to catch up to all the new crap out now (and failing). But it's all about what style you like. I know the coasts prefer the more artistic style of rapping, very broad and tended for a wider audience. Anyone can get into it. The southern style is a coded, heavily slang filled narrative about the hustle game and daily life in the ghetto. Houston rappers like Pimp C are vulgar, brutal yet his lyrics are still witty, sing songy, and tell one hell of a story. That's what I prefer them and why their music resonates with a crowd that thirsts for that kind of rap. The stuff you posted wasn't bad but it just felt like it was posing. It didn't feel as lyrical to me.

The stuff I posted was just what I could think of off the top of my head. There is a hell of a lot more. I am not knocking LA and I will give the music a shot. I think it would be narrow minded of me to not give it a shot and get into the different styles. I just feel spoiled coming from Houston when it and the South came up from being in the shadow of the coasts and I honestly think they out shined them and everything out there in the main now just seems like a cheap imitation.

You just have region bias. It's ok we all do. Some are just better at admitting it than others.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
You just have region bias. It's ok we all do. Some are just better at admitting it than others.
Maybe, but there's only one region getting the hell copied out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw

Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 PM

317 posts, read 406,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Again a lot of this will be opinion based. It's hard to say why certain people might be attracted to certain artists or musicians.
I try to listen to as much of it as I can , and I don't really care where the person 'came from' West Coast , East Coast, South,etc.

I think this used to be more a thing back in the day..but I think now it may not be as relevant or important to people as back in the day.
Before there were the West Coast /East Coast Rivalries .

I think people involved in that type of thing really aren't into it for the music...but more wanting to be part of a 'scene' so to speak.
There is the actual music ..and then there is the culture surrounding the music.

Regarding people in L.A blasting GFunk...I can't say i've heard that much..which part of L.A?
L.A is a big city with people into all kind of different artists and bands.

I agree that some people might view music the way they might view food. Some people are fine listening to the same stuff over and over , just like some might not mind eating the same type of food everyday.

Myself I like variety.
I like rap, but I also like rock, classic rock, indie , blues, pop music ,country, etc too.
My interests in music are probably more eclectic than most people.

There is crappy rap just like there is crappy country .

There are a lot of people that have closed minds and won't listen to a certain type of music just because they have a preconceived notion that it's bad or all low quality stuff.
I'm from the east coast and while I'll admit most east coast rappers were better lyricists back in the day, I still prefer west coast rap. To me it has better groove and is generally more laid back. West coast rap is made for cruising in the car, something that I love. Snoops' first two albums, Dre's albums including his new one, Tupac, People Under the Stairs, Spice 1, Kendrick without a doubt, Ab-Soul, Blu, Dilated Peoples, Ice Cube, a few others I may be forgetting.... But believe it or not I'm actually not a huge fan of NWA. I am just a fan of anything with a great groove in general and west coast artists seem to have that down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles