Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:06 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The cost of living calculator on the CNN Money website is excellent--get acquainted with it.
Bankrate's is much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:17 PM

5 posts, read 6,195 times
Thank you all for the feedback! I'm taking note of everything and you're all appreciated.

I think everything being spread out, rent and the real possibility of a 45min commute will be the hardest part. I can cut coins for food and activities, but I need the place I sleep to be somewhere comfortable/nice/clean (at least on the inside). Craigslist doesn't seem to have many options for less than $2K =/

Old 08-18-2015, 12:11 AM

631 posts, read 749,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBri View Post
Thank you all for the feedback! I'm taking note of everything and you're all appreciated.

I think everything being spread out, rent and the real possibility of a 45min commute will be the hardest part. I can cut coins for food and activities, but I need the place I sleep to be somewhere comfortable/nice/clean (at least on the inside). Craigslist doesn't seem to have many options for less than $2K =/
I'm about as anti-Cali as they come, but why would you use Craigslist? The worst prices I've seen are usually Craigslist or apartments.com.

Use zillow.

1827 W Sunset Blvd APT 105, Los Angeles, CA 90026 is For Rent | Zillow

904 N Hoover St APT 207, Los Angeles, CA 90029 is For Rent | Zillow

10818 Blix St, North Hollywood, CA 91602 is For Rent | Zillow

Old 08-19-2015, 12:02 AM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBri View Post
Hello there!

I'm interviewing for a job based in Santa Monica this week. Though no offer has been extended as of yet, I'm trying to gauge if LA is something that is feasible and/or a place I would enjoy living before things escalate (IF they escalate).

The job pays ~$50K/year gross -- entertainment (music)/digital/marketing field.
I have a pretty high standard when it comes to housing -- granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, garage parking etc. Roommates not preferred (though may be a good idea moving somewhere new)

I've been looking on Craigslist, and it looks pretty bleak cost-wise and aesthetically. Part of that may be due to the fact I'm used to East Coast apartments/homes. I've lived in DC and NYC, so I'm very used to urban-y structures.

If anyone can suggest apartments or areas to look and/or explain major cultural differences that may or may not be offputting to someone moving from DC, that would be greatly appreciated. I have a few friends in LA but, with respect to how spread out LA is, who knows where they actually live.

Further info:
I'm 25, female, AA. Pretty introverted, though I'm not opposed to the occasional day party or kickback. I don't cook often, but don't eat at 5star restaurants either. Pizza here, pasta there, sandwiches, wings etc. Drive everywhere -- most places in DC take 20min.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
With a roommate, you could probably get a really nice place on the westside, but without, you're gonna be stuck with older units, yeah. IMO though, garage parking is not really necessary in most parts of Santa Monica. If I were in your shoes, I'd still consider it if I felt like the job had room for sizable growth - 50k is just the initial rate, after all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles