Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRate View Post
That's a very good point. When did Scorsese, DE Niro, or Woody Allen (actual a listers) EVER live permanently in LA?

The answer is they didn't. All three have always lived in NY and based their films in NY for the most part.

Allen filmed some of "Annie Hall" in LA, but that was to make fun of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The answer is they didn't. All three have always lived in NY and based their films in NY for the most part.

Allen filmed some of "Annie Hall" in LA, but that was to make fun of LA.
Scorsese lived in L.A. in the '70s

Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
I think the point of my post is that a lot of MY favorite artists who are mostly independent, seem to base their films out of LA. And you guys really don't know John Sayles, Richard Linklater or Robert Rodriguez? The first two have all been nominated for Oscars and the latter third directed Desperado and Sin City.

The rest are in San Francisco, NYC, Austin or elsewhere. Another one of my favs John Cusak and his sister Joan live in Chicago. John Malkovich lived in Boston. Elijah Wood traded LA for ATX too.

This isn't to downplay LA just Hollywood. I love LA, especially non-Hollywood LA.

I was just thinking about it and being a huge film buff, especially an indie film buff, that LA is mostly filled with I guess "A" list reality stars, network TV stars, YouTube level wannabe talent, comedians, etc.
Most of the side projects I've tried to do with people (I do films, plays and write as a hobby) turned out to be a waste since 7/10 times they wanted to do a cheap web series of generic comedy. Basically they wanted to create the one vid to break them into the main. Or it was overly pretentious, overly hipster indie ala James Franco. I'm sure there's more variety in a city of millions here but these are just the first ones that I've met who put themselves out there.
It could be that filmmakers and artists aren't bound by Hollywood anymore. I think ppl moving here haven't caught on to that notion.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 PM

76 posts, read 85,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think the point of my post is that a lot of MY favorite artists who are mostly independent, seem to base their films out of LA. And you guys really don't know John Sayles, Richard Linklater or Robert Rodriguez? The first two have all been nominated for Oscars and the latter third directed Desperado and Sin City.
When you call him Richard Rodriguez, no I don't know who that is. Can't read your mind.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRate View Post
When you call him Richard Rodriguez, no I don't know who that is. Can't read your mind.
Yikes good catch, sorry. Robert, not Richard.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 PM

600 posts, read 824,288 times
What about Suge Knight ? He's in LA.............................County Jail................boom

Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,849 times
Uh, are you serious? Francis Ford Coppola is A list these days? Woody Allen? John Sayles? Joan and John Cusak? Mike Nichols? Even DeNiro isn't list anymore. Are Richard Linklater and Rodriguez really A list? I bet most people dont even know who they are. They aren't James Cameron, Tarantino, Christiopher Nolan etc (who live in LA). I'm pretty sure all the up and new coming directors are LA guys.
Alot the guys you named are way past their primes and heading into retirement. Clint Eastwood? I love Martin, but he can't be far away from retirement either.

Second, none of those guys really lived in LA. You just seemed to pick a random list of people who never were residents to begin with. Strange. You acted they've moved out in the past few years. That's false and you know it.

I don't see any difference of alot of the younger actors living here than any other time. And didnt Matthew M just shoot True Dectective in LA?

That's cool if you're into the indie stuff, but don't create a post about Indie guys not living in LA. They never did. That's why they;re Indie.

Last edited by Freddy K; 08-17-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,006,559 times
Caitlyn Jenner ("the girl with something extra") is in the L.A. area.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,849 times
There's plenty of people still here. This op makes no sense.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A few things.

1) It's better to be a "has been" than a never was.

2) Don't know half those names, nor care. Any Hollywood actors/directors that interest me have left
this earth. And while over the years of living here I have seen and actually spoken to some very
famous people, other than a short lived thrill, does it really matter? No.

3) Since I don't run around with anyone in the entertainment industry, who cares where they live? I
care where I live.

And for what it's worth did meet Clint Eastwood in LA in the early 90s. Had two out of town guests who were over the moon to see him, he was pleasant. But again it's not something that is that important in the scheme of things.

So again, who really cares where these people live?
Not me, nor anybody I know. In fact, I actively avoid those who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles