Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be working in Canoga Park in the next few weeks. I'm looking for recommendations on locations/places to consider to move too. I would like something in maybe a "pocket" community near good food and bars. I would love to have some type of attached or detached garage....but worse case i'll get a storage unit. I'm into mountain biking and motorcycles so I would like ideally some way of storing that stuff. I'm 29 if my age helps on recommendations. I would like to max out at $2000/month.

Thanks in advance for you advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
There are tons of apartments right around the topanga mall, which is in Canoga park. For $2k you can probably even find a 2br place if that interests you. There are plenty of mtn biking trails nearby, though dirt biking will require driving out to the desert.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I'd recommend living in or near Canoga Park too.
There is a big project opening soon called the Village at Topanga and there will be new stores, restaurants there too.
Woodland Hills borders Canoga Park too..but rents are higher.

In Canoga park you might possibly be able to rent a single family house..but likely a small one.
Something like this
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...183138579.html

I guess it depends how important it would be to have your own yard.
It sounds like you have quite a few bikes,etc so maybe having the garage would be worth it for you.
Might be possible to find better deals looking around the area too at for rent signs and stuff.
Canoga park is kind of a mixed area and many of the residents in apartments may be lower income mostly hispanic folks..so this could be a downside. I know there are some newer buildings though and those likely have more a professional or higher income crowd.
Some people don't care of course..but there are some people that don't want to live near lower income people for whatever reasons.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'd recommend living in or near Canoga Park too.
There is a big project opening soon called the Village at Topanga and there will be new stores, restaurants there too.
Woodland Hills borders Canoga Park too..but rents are higher.

In Canoga park you might possibly be able to rent a single family house..but likely a small one.
Something like this
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...183138579.html

I guess it depends how important it would be to have your own yard.
It sounds like you have quite a few bikes,etc so maybe having the garage would be worth it for you.
Might be possible to find better deals looking around the area too at for rent signs and stuff.
Canoga park is kind of a mixed area and many of the residents in apartments may be lower income mostly hispanic folks..so this could be a downside. I know there are some newer buildings though and those likely have more a professional or higher income crowd.
Some people don't care of course..but there are some people that don't want to live near lower income people for whatever reasons.
I've been looking pretty hard on craigslist, yelp, apartment.com etc.. for the past couple of days. The main thing i've been struggling with is finding something with a personal garage for my personal stuff. I would really like to avoid getting a storage unit. I'm not too picky on who lives around me, as long as they are people I wouldn't worry about.

Are there any other rental search websites you would recommend?

I'm assuming Westfield Topanga Vision is what your talking ab out.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:35 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
I've been looking pretty hard on craigslist, yelp, apartment.com etc.. for the past couple of days. The main thing i've been struggling with is finding something with a personal garage for my personal stuff. I would really like to avoid getting a storage unit. I'm not too picky on who lives around me, as long as they are people I wouldn't worry about.

Are there any other rental search websites you would recommend?

I'm assuming Westfield Topanga Vision is what your talking ab out.
You MAY want to look in the other direction, like Chatsworth over to Granada Hills.

Prices will be better. And in my personal experience I have seen a lot of motoring enthusiasts in these areas, more so than in the other more southerly areas.

The downside it it's not as active as the other parts as far as restaurants and bars, but it's not horrible either.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Hi OP, the only places super near good food and bars is going to be Ventura Bl in Sherman Oaks and Studio City. That area with a garage will almost certainly be out of your price range. Plus basically anything in the SFV will be at most a 30 minute drive after around 730pm so pretty easy to get to bars and restaurants. There should be small houses all around the Valley with garage in your price range. Esp Van Vuys or Canoga Park. Outside chance of a 2bd/1ba house in Encino or Tarzana at that price. Granada hills has lots of town homes that have attached garages and may be worth a look as well.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Also look in the Lake Manor area of Chatsworth, Box Canyon, and even over into Simi Valley.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations, I will look into them!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
2BR + 1Bath House in Prime Burbank
Quiet neighborhood,private garage
1 bedroom, 1Bathroom with Patio and Garage!
Burbank Condo with 2 car Garage
Two Bedroom-Berkshire Condo-Gated-Garage
2+1 w/ 1 Car Garage, SFR
Apartment - Two (2) Bedrooms + Two ThreeQuarter (.75) Baths

I've posted many many times on CD forums that people for inexplicable reasons exaggerate rents in the LA area. Everything I posted is $2K or less with a SFR in Burbank listed under $2K which is amazing considering how nice Burbank is. OP, one of the links is in Studio City literally walking distance from bars and restaurants. I think you'll find something.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:49 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
A couple people mentioned Chatsworth and Granada Hills are those are nice areas too.
Granada Hills has more shopping and restaraunts versus Chatsworth , which is more residential.
I think Granada Hills is really nice and it kind of feels like it's own city like Burbank even though it's in the city of L.A
Seems like the residents actually care about the area. There are also a lot of churches and religious organizations in the area which might have something to do with it too. There don't seem to be a lot of shady types of business like in some parts of the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles