Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:51 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

When the local weather forecasters announce that the weather is humid, for whom is that announcement? Is it for people who live outside the Los Angeles area and are watching our local news via web stream, or is there perhaps a significant population of people in Los Angeles who live in secret underground enclaves and have no idea what kind of weather we're having up on the surface? Or is it something else that merits an announcement that we're having humid weather because there are a significant number of local news viewers that are unaware of the fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
With that reasoning there is no need for any weather report at all. You can go outside and see for yourself that it's sunny, it's hot, the wind is blowing, rain clouds are piling up, etc. etc.

And yes, actually, a lot of people are inside in air-conditioned environments a lot of the time and aren't directly sensing the prevailing weather conditions.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:01 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
This ain't humid! This is nothing compared to Florida!

-FloridaResidentWhoSeemsWeirdlyProudofTheirHumidity

Old 08-25-2015, 04:41 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
When the local weather forecasters announce that the weather is humid, for whom is that announcement? Is it for people who live outside the Los Angeles area and are watching our local news via web stream, or is there perhaps a significant population of people in Los Angeles who live in secret underground enclaves and have no idea what kind of weather we're having up on the surface? Or is it something else that merits an announcement that we're having humid weather because there are a significant number of local news viewers that are unaware of the fact?

I think it's that one.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
With that reasoning there is no need for any weather report at all. You can go outside and see for yourself that it's sunny, it's hot, the wind is blowing, rain clouds are piling up, etc. etc.
But I do not know by my own means what the weather will be in the future, which is the point of a weather forecast.

And BTW, do you know of any people who did not know today that the weather was humid?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Default "It's a humid day out there today!"

Yes indeed, it most certainly is.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But I do not know by my own means what the weather will be in the future, which is the point of a weather forecast.

And BTW, do you know of any people who did not know today that the weather was humid?
Well, honestly, I think you are splitting hairs. It's a weather report AND forecast, not just a forecast. They state what the current temperature is, as well as what the day's high is likely to be. If it's raining, they tell you it is raining, and that it is likely to stop (or continue). And so forth.

I didn't speak to anyone about the weather today except my own family, and they all could tell it was humid.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
It may be technically humid, but if there isn't a high dew point it won't feel sticky like the east

Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This ain't humid! This is nothing compared to Florida!
Yeah, LA humidity is nothing compared to summer in the SouthEast. I guess humidity at all, is somewhat newsworthy in Southern California.
Scary to think of Santa Clarita heat, combined with East Coast, August humidity.. damn.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah, LA humidity is nothing compared to summer in the SouthEast. I guess humidity at all, is somewhat newsworthy in Southern California.
Scary to think of Santa Clarita heat, combined with East Coast, August humidity.. damn.
Thanks for the info. BTW, I've heard also that they get more snow in the North East than we do here.

I guess weather can be generally different based upon one's location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles