Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:42 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulSoulTragicLife View Post
As I said, I can't do waitressing at all - they wanted to fire me the last time I tried. I am abnormally bad at it (slow mannerism, etc.
I can definitely do jobs that are more difficult than waitressing, but for some reason I just cannot swing the whole waitressing gig
Everyone knows what they are capable and not capable of... and I can do many things, but waitressing and uber/lyft driving are not one of them
That's nonsense. Who can't wait tables? I've been waited on by people who can barely string 2 words together but they get the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 10:50 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
As I said, I can't do waitressing at all - they wanted to fire me the last time I tried. I am abnormally bad at it (slow mannerism, etc.)

I can definitely do jobs that are more difficult than waitressing, but for some reason I just cannot swing the whole waitressing gig

Everyone knows what they are capable and not capable of... and I can do many things, but waitressing and uber/lyft driving are not one of them

Look I have empathy for you're situation, but your excuses for not getting a waitressing job are silly.

I know there are server jobs in LA. I know someone who is twice your age who just got one. In fact that they got two and chose one.

I found myself at age 42 laid off, so almost twice your age and I took a server job(hadn't done that in more than 20 years) until I found something better. So your excuses are just that excuses.

You focus on what you're doing, and you can be a halfway decent server.

Uber I can understand your reluctance due to the condition of your car, and for safety reasons. But to eliminate server jobs for the reasons you give is just plain dumb for someone in your position.

You have parents out of state? Maybe it just time to pack it in, you can fall back and regroup in your home state.

And it's not that you can't do waitressing, you WON"T do waitressing. There is a big difference between can't vs. won't.

Sorry for your troubles, but you lose empathy when you refuse to try and get a job that will bring in some fast money, you're not 66 and crippled. Get a server job. You're keeping your appearance up, you're young, I would imagine attractive enough, start at busing tables if you have to.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:51 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
That's nonsense. Who can't wait tables? I've been waited on by people who can barely string 2 words together but they get the job done.
I am the world's worst waitress but even I managed to hold the job down for a while.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post

Exactly, or people who don't even have a good command on the English language, but to their credit they're working.

Waiting tables does take some ability, but it can be quickly learned.

This is the problem today with many younger people. If this was 20 or 30 years ago a young person who wanted to stay in LA would take whatever job they could to do so.

Maybe this is a made up thread.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:59 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
I'm guessing she "can't handle" waitressing because she's worked as an "actor" and a "journalist" (whatever that means).

Thus, she is too special a snowflake to stoop to waitressing.

Seriously. She probably had a bad attitude on the job, doing work that she felt was beneath her dignity. A bad attitude that showed in her "slow mannerism" as she put it. (I'm guessing "slow mannerism" really means she was passive-aggressive when serving customers.)

I agree with those who said you need to "suck it up" and do a better job waitressing until you can find something else.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
3800+ jobs listed when I googled jobs LA.

Gimme a break.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 13,502 times
No, it's not made up.

I have several reasons why I personally can't be working in the restaurant business (I do not wish to disclose those reasons at this time).

Yes, I am coming here for help. I'm not sure where else I should go. Where else do you think I should go for help?

My parents would allow me to move back in with them, but I would rather be homeless than live in the city/state that they live in. They live in the worst city in the country. I am glad to be away from that area. I would rather move to ANY other random state than to go back to the state where my parents live (I also don't want to disclose where they live. I've already provided a lot of information and don't want my identity to be revealed by any internet searchers).

I don't have to stay in LA, but it would be preferable to live SOMEWHERE in Southern California. If not Southern California, then some other warm-weather city/state that is clean and safe.

To the person who said "you poor thing" sarcastically: one day I WILL be old (unless I die young), and deathly sick, and all those other things. But right now, I mean... do YOU have a nice warm bed at night? do YOU have close friends and a significant other? do YOU have money coming in? Well good for you because I don't.

I had been trying to get full-time work for a while now, but when my exboyfriend lived with me, he was paying the rent. Now that I do not have him... I don't have other friends and I'm now homeless.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 13,502 times
Cinema - I am a nice, kind person.

stan4 - All I can do is tell you the absolute truth about what my reality is and has been. I have attended many interviews and been one of the "final candidates" but ultimately have not landed anything.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
No, it's not made up.

I have several reasons why I personally can't be working in the restaurant business (I do not wish to disclose those reasons at this time).

Yes, I am coming here for help. I'm not sure where else I should go. Where else do you think I should go for help?

My parents would allow me to move back in with them, but I would rather be homeless than live in the city/state that they live in. They live in the worst city in the country. I am glad to be away from that area. I would rather move to ANY other random state than to go back to the state where my parents live (I also don't want to disclose where they live. I've already provided a lot of information and don't want my identity to be revealed by any internet searchers).

I don't have to stay in LA, but it would be preferable to live SOMEWHERE in Southern California. If not Southern California, then some other warm-weather city/state that is clean and safe.

To the person who said "you poor thing" sarcastically: one day I WILL be old (unless I die young), and deathly sick, and all those other things. But right now, I mean... do YOU have a nice warm bed at night? do YOU have close friends and a significant other? do YOU have money coming in? Well good for you because I don't.

I had been trying to get full-time work for a while now, but when my exboyfriend lived with me, he was paying the rent. Now that I do not have him... I don't have other friends and I'm now homeless.
What is Gods green earth do you expect any of us to do for you? You have to do it on your own and it is about impossible for any of us to believe you can not get a job. So you want to stay in Ca. big deal. I want to win the lottery but I am realistic and it might be time for you to be realistic as well. I am truthfully glad if you can't get any publc assistance other than food stamps. Am I being harsh and cold? Yes, but it is time you realize your problems are your own and you need to find ways to better yourself. It can be done. Talk to a councilor or someone at a church for starters.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
No, it's not made up.

I think this is a made up thread, but for s**ts and giggles I will play along.

So you tell all your business on here but you can't "disclose" why you can't waitress? You share all this other stuff, but you can't explain this?????

Let's get real, you think it's beneath you or you're allergic to physical work.

It's going to be almost 100 degrees(AGAIN) in the LA area, I don't care what state your from, being indoors in Nebraska is better than being in Southern CA homeless.

And the how hell is anyone on CD supposed to help you? Do you think one of us is going to say come on over I have a spare bedroom?

So your boyfriend was paying the rent the last two years in LA? What were you doing?

And the worst city in America is going to be the one you find yourself in the situation you're in.

A smart person would move back home, get a job, save up a nice amount of money and if you had the strong of desire to live in Southern CA, come back after you have gotten yourself together and had some money behind you.

Last edited by seain dublin; 08-29-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles