Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:08 PM

81 posts, read 107,776 times

Advertisements

What's the easiest city out west for a new grad to obtain employment in? I wouldn't mind living in Phoenix for a few years actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
Pack your **** in your car and drive. At least that's what I did

Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
What's the easiest city out west for a new grad to obtain employment in? I wouldn't mind living in Phoenix for a few years actually.
The LA forum isn't probably going to have much to say about this.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Quote:
You're over thinking things. Honestly just make a decision and roll with it. I knew things about CA because my mom went to high school in Torrance and I had an uncle and aunt in Altadena for like 80 friggin years. Rather than go from TN to Los Angeles though I moved first to San Diego because it was a gut feeling and it was the best thing I've ever done. Eventually life took me on up to LA but the point is it would've never happened without reacting to a gut feeling inside.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work but you'll always have the experience of trying. Tons of people who can't afford California go to Phoenix. If you want a warm climate with a lower cost of living then maybe you're onto something. Do what you really want.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 AM

176 posts, read 202,364 times
How to move to CA from TN in 3 easy steps:

Step 1: Pack car
Step 2: Drive west
Step 3: Stop when you hit ocean

Old 09-10-2015, 03:07 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
ughhh I'm screwed
Jeez, try a little harder. If you have that attitude you won't get anywhere. Atlanta isn't so bad, and if you are from Tennessee and you haven't had any real experience with heavy urban settings you probably wouldn't like Los Angeles. Atlanta would be a good transition for you and frankly, as a former Atlantan, there are a lot of similarities. The freeways, the reliance on cars, the sprawling Metro area and the heat. Except in GA you still have seasons. And the diversity in Los Angeles is nearly dizzying when you come from a pretty binary place like the South. Which can be a GREAT thing, or it can alienate you and then you get over it, or it can alienate you and you run screaming. Kind of your choice really.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:09 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post

I really have a problem with this- because you have to stop to sleep. So stop, sleep, drive, stop when you hit the ocean.
Seriously though, it took me two days driving alone from North GA to Los Angeles- in the summer even, through Texas I actually puked after passing through those stockyards in the heat.....it'll make a man out of you!

Old 09-10-2015, 08:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Car, truck, motorcycle, bus, airplane, or walking/biking/boating if you have some time.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post

You'll hit the Calif. border a long way away before you hit the ocean !

Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM

81 posts, read 107,776 times
I aim to apply to two jobs every day. I have some money saved up for relocation, but I really want to see the west first. I've been to Chicago, Miami, and NYC, so I won't be completely dazzled by a big city. I don't like Atlanta and I know I would hate it there. I'm not a huge fan of the southeast and would like to get as far away from it as possible. Idk what yall see in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles