Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times

Advertisements

How about a comparison to actual Compton, as one of those "compressed" poor, urban areas in Los Angeles? The below link is the LAPD's site, and this link should take you to their monthly stats; i.e., homicides average 8 or 9 per month...
http://www.lapdonline.org/assets/pdf/sstprof.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 05:35 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
well most of you dont have to necessarily fear for your life. scanning the numbers very few of the deceased were over thirty. most in their twenties and under. so what that means is that you gotta watch out for the lives of your kids. no matter what you do you can never predict what will happen. you may try to avoid certain streets or neighborhoods, but dont forget that thugs are mobile and love to rob banks and stores in areas where they will least be recognized. crime happens everywhere. if i want to rob some people of their goods i will definitely make it a point to rob some one in the nice westwood or bel air area. its like the saying. dont eat where you ****. or dont **** were you eat. so regardless of where you are, somehting bad can happen. tragedy strikes randomly and very often. i dont think those kids on the alabama school bus were expecting to die that day. for as many precations you want to take, be ready for the end. im young myself, and tho i would hate to die now, i have accepted that fact. i have life insurance, benefactors appointed, etc, etc. its the reality of big city life. if i died today i could say that my life was great and that i did everything to leave my family comfortable for the rest of their lives. stop being so scared and live your life. time is all you got. just dont go to the valey. its too far from la, and is dirty. stay away from the valley. i do. i prefer east los, south central and central LA.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times

Some more "this is the true Los Angeles." Someone on another thread asked about comparable housing to his 550K house in Houston, TX with at least 3 bedrooms. As of today, there were only 8 houses, not condos, under 550K listed for sale in Los Angeles proper (not the San Fernando nor San Gabriel Valleys) and the above are 2 of them, with 3 bedrooms. The first is near downtown and lists for $545,000.00. The second is in Watts and lists for $495,000.00

Old 11-25-2006, 12:21 PM

186 posts, read 835,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Wow, that's quite a few... And yes, it does seem pretty widespread. If you sort on gang shootings, though, it's a little better. Some of the homicides are due to domestic violence, which may be scary to those married people, but is of some comfort to those of us who are single.

In general, the closer you are to Ventura Blvd., the safer you are. I would never live in Panorama City or North Hills. I almost rented an apartment in Panorama City right after I got divorced, but then my car blew a head gasket, and I couldn't move there (think God was trying to tell me something?!).

What boggles my mind is how different the environment can be if you just go from one *street* to another! It can make all the difference in the world, seriously.
I never cross magnolia ave. in SF valley. most times, I never cross the ventura strip. Tarzana, woodland hills, encino, sherman oaks, studio city, Sotuhern North Hollywood are the only placs I go in the valley. I also go to glendale and burbank, but that isnt the valley.

If I ever go to other places in the valley, it is on my way out of LA and into Norcal!!!!

Who knows, maybe the valley will be like echo park or los feliz and clean up a bit but I doubt it. All the trash from those cities will be dumped up there because echo park is near dodger stadium, etc.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Hector Tobar: Some guidelines on how to be a true Angeleno - latimes.com

Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe View Post
I never cross magnolia ave. in SF valley. most times, I never cross the ventura strip. Tarzana, woodland hills, encino, sherman oaks, studio city, Sotuhern North Hollywood are the only placs I go in the valley. I also go to glendale and burbank, but that isnt the valley.

If I ever go to other places in the valley, it is on my way out of LA and into Norcal!!!!

Who knows, maybe the valley will be like echo park or los feliz and clean up a bit but I doubt it. All the trash from those cities will be dumped up there because echo park is near dodger stadium, etc.
Actually, Burbank IS the valley. I live north of Magnolia and it's quite nice.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:24 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
That's not a bad apartment for a grand at least it has glass and not boards for windows. I love the way our wonderful city fixes the sidewalks just stick a little asphalt down no one will notice. Just a little barb wire and not even a full can of spray paint worth of graffiti. I say home sweet home.
Hahahahaha so true!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 PM

135 posts, read 476,519 times
This post made me think of an episode of Entourage I just happened to catch late one night when I couldn't get to sleep. It showed the guys shopping on Rodeo in the middle of the afternoon. They just walked out of the shops and jumped in their car and took off (no traffic) for a quick trip to Vegas and I thought, where in reality would that happen??!!!lol

Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,189 times
why do so much people complain about the area they live in LA i know some areas arent as nice as others, everybody who is complaining about LA is lucky to live here, just imagine those poor kids in africa or in other parts of the world, they would give anything to live in any house, so you guys sholdnt complain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles