Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 PM

22 posts, read 162,335 times

Advertisements

This is what your in for when you come to LA. "Mommy, why is that guy running in front of our car with no clothes on?" "I don't know honey, but he just added another hour to our commute"

http://www.latimes.com/la-111406streaker,0,7215271.photo?coll=la-home-headlines (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 07:57 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Steve, you started a great idea for a thread here: let's use it post pix of the less publicized aspects of Los Angeles' living. Here's my infamous pix of what $1,000.00 a month buys you for a one-bedroom apartment in the Valley, and I promise to take new ones.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 AM

22 posts, read 162,335 times
That's not a bad apartment for a grand at least it has glass and not boards for windows. I love the way our wonderful city fixes the sidewalks just stick a little asphalt down no one will notice. Just a little barb wire and not even a full can of spray paint worth of graffiti. I say home sweet home.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
LA is no place to be for law abiding middle class people

Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,917 times
OooOooh I have a funny story to add to this thread. This recently happened to my friend in Westwood who was walking to the UCLA campus:

She was walking on Westwood Blvd. toward UCLA and she was passing by this bus station when this huge black homeless lady jumps out of the bus stop and screams at her "WHATCHOO DOIN' IN MY MOTHER FU**IN CONDO BIIITTTCH!!!!" Her... condo lol. It made for a funny story and my friend got out of there okay but I doubt anyone caught THAT bus that day lol. Ahhh the joys of working or going to school in L.A.

As for me, I have an unfortunate reputation for being accosted by many male homeless who are not quite in their right minds. I've got tons of stories about being chased by bums that would either scare the cr*p out of you or make you laugh really hard. L.A. has 90,000 homeless people - more than ANY city ANYWHERE in the U.S. - more than NYC, more than San Francisco, more than anywhere. Keep that in mind before moving here. It's a really sad statistic. I did some work with the Democracy for Change in raising money for the homeless shelters that had government funding cut severely by our wonderful President Bush and a local Gover-nator.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:21 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
This is what your in for when you come to LA. "Mommy, why is that guy running in front of our car with no clothes on?" "I don't know honey, but he just added another hour to our commute"

http://www.latimes.com/la-111406streaker,0,7215271.photo?coll=la-home-headlines (broken link)

I'm sure the motorist in the grey Toyota (?) in the foreground really needed THAT view.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Cant those homeless people relocate out of LA? Even if they have to walk or hitch a ride, they will eventrually get there. Then they should get any job they can find, even min wage. Perhaps work on a farm or something? Houses there are extremely cheap, ive seen some in need of lots of repair for under $10k but at least its a roof for those homeless people making min wage.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:07 AM

436 posts, read 681,811 times
"..my infamous pix of what $1,000.00 a month buys you for a one-bedroom apartment in the Valley"

Remember Bruce Willis's apartment in 'Pulp Fiction' where John Travolta was waiting for him, and the silencer-equipped machine pistol on the counter top? That is the type of apartment in LA/SF Valley that many people live in if they rent and cannot buy. I liked the realism of that location - for many this is the real LA/Valley habitat.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:32 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,198 times
Quote:
L.A. has 90,000 homeless people - more than ANY city ANYWHERE in the U.S. - more than NYC, more than San Francisco, more than anywhere. Keep that in mind before moving here. It's a really sad statistic.
I heard that on television recently. You're right. It IS very sad Wonder though what we can do to help?

Old 11-18-2006, 06:10 PM

40 posts, read 200,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post

i seen that before but he was walking down the street

just enjoy the pyhcos doings, you may find it funny, if he or she aint hurting no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles