Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 04:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times

Advertisements

GDP or GDP per capita is not why people from the Bay Area diss on LA. I mean, maybe it's a small part of the equation but it's hardly something that matters to most people.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 PM

205 posts, read 409,622 times
EVERYONE picks on L.A... why? Because L.A. is like the hot chick at work all the other (ugly) chicks hate because shes hot and gets all the attention.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:51 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse977 View Post
EVERYONE picks on L.A... why? Because L.A. is like the hot chick at work all the other (ugly) chicks hate because shes hot and gets all the attention.
bad analogy.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:43 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I lived in Marin and worked in SF in the early 80's, having moved from back East, and definitely heard the hate on LA (either sports related or people who hate on LA and the people). I moved down to OC from '86 to '03 and heard it from them as well, though for different reasons. When I would try to rustle up people to drive to LA for superior nightlife and cultural options, I would get the "we prefer it here where it is cleaner and safer". I always thought that comment was racially tinged along the lines of we only like hanging out with white people who look like us. OC has become more ethically mixed since I first moved there though I wonder if one might still hear that excuse in pockets of South OC, where the great white flight has moved once again. San Diego, where I live now, has the same dislike towards LA to go along with its small town and provincial thinking. That might be reinforced by their view that some people who come to SoCal choose LA as their prime destination and San Diego as a day trip or overnight or two add on. I have lived in NorCal and SoCal (though never in LA) but always enjoyed going to LA.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-19-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 01:48 PM

320 posts, read 283,186 times
It's because San Frans mistake LA's smog for smug and their "tolerant, progressive, diverse" greed wants more smug.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
It's just hard to get to know LA if your not from here. People usually hate LA the first year they live here let alone just visiting. It's just what it is. Luckily, LA rewards people who are adventurous. But, how can you be adventurous if you hate the place your in or visting and you only focus on the negatives? So, maybe that's why they hate us, they just don't understand how people can actually like something they don't.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:30 PM

540 posts, read 653,210 times
As someone who lives in Oakland and loves LA as well, I'm not sure who you all run into. I don't know anybody around here who Hates LA. In fact many people here are from LA and go back and forth. Other than the Giants vs. Dodgers thing which is 99% friendly. It's not that serious here. I go down to LA once a month just to hang out, eat, whatever. So do a lot of my friends. I think overall the people are nicer down there as well. I also find it more socially liberal. In LA you'll see more different groups hanging out together. Here the only two groups that seem to mingle are Asian women with White men.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:49 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
As someone who lives in Oakland and loves LA as well, I'm not sure who you all run into. I don't know anybody around here who Hates LA. In fact many people here are from LA and go back and forth. Other than the Giants vs. Dodgers thing which is 99% friendly. It's not that serious here. I go down to LA once a month just to hang out, eat, whatever. So do a lot of my friends. I think overall the people are nicer down there as well. I also find it more socially liberal. In LA you'll see more different groups hanging out together. Here the only two groups that seem to mingle are Asian women with White men.
Really? People loved to tell me how much they hated LA up North. Well, they also love to tell me on the east coast, and south lol. It comes with the territory. I got it the worse from people from DC surprisingly. SF, NYC, DC types generally don't like LA for various reasons. They like a certain "culture" where people are "real". Traffic, PT, and weather aside, It's a tough adjustment for people to live and love LA.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:54 PM

484 posts, read 822,265 times
SF was developed much earlier than LA and was a prominent city when LA was a mere pueblo. So part of the anti-LA feeling is probably a hold-over from the days when LA was basically synonymous with nowhere. And there's no doubt a good deal of resentment over the subsequent rise of LA in population and power. But there are also objective reasons to prefer SF to LA, perhaps most importantly the ugliness of the sprawl and the terrible pollution. I'm not sure there is an American city that was developed in a more slapdash way than LA ... and the results of the lack of planning and the over-reliance on private cars in what is basically a desert environment are obvious.

Nevertheless I like LA and enjoy being there (although my lungs sometimes complain).

Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
SF was developed much earlier than LA and was a prominent city when LA was a mere pueblo. So part of the anti-LA feeling is probably a hold-over from the days when LA was basically synonymjous with nowhere. And there's no doubt a good deal of resentment over the subsequent rise of LA in population and power.
both places came about almost the same time. There wasn't a whole lot of development to say there was a real difference or that one place was significantly different than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles