Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Agree. Furthermore, after reading all the posts in this thread, I'd say the title is wrong. It should really say "Why do LA people take shots at San Francisco whenever they can?"
Because they smell like cioppino.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It's not just spora newscasters. A lot of folks in Northern California in general hate on Southern California, particularly Los Angeles seemingly for no apparent reason.
Hating LA is a religion in San Francisco. San Diego isn't much better, in fact San Diego people will invariably side with the Bay Area against LA.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Agree. Furthermore, after reading all the posts in this thread, I'd say the title is wrong. It should really say "Why do LA people take shots at San Francisco whenever they can?"

Old 09-12-2015, 09:23 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Hating LA is a religion in San Francisco. San Diego isn't much better, in fact San Diego people will invariably side with the Bay Area against LA.
I have found this to be true as well, in regards to those from San Diego. In college, one of my dormmates was from San Diego, and she always expressed how much she hated Los Angeles when ever she could. I always thought to myself, why would she choose a college in Los Angeles if she hates it so much? She was, and still is, a really good friend of mine, so I never became rude and told her to shut up, but it did annoy me.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:28 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
I have found this to be true as well, in regards to those from San Diego. In college, one of my dormmates was from San Diego, and she always expressed how much she hated Los Angeles when ever she could. I always thought to myself, why would she choose a college in Los Angeles if she hates it so much? She was, and still is, a really good friend of mine, so I never became rude and told her to shut up, but it did annoy me.
I always thought that people from San Diego think that LA is a giant cesspool. Also because the burbs in San Diego are very conservative. The people from La Jolla I met were pretty elitist and rude. They were more vocal about being right wing then any right winger I've known in Texas. So they hate LA I'm sure.

But I guess they side with even more liberal SF because it's seen as a hub for intelligent people. LA is seen as a wasteland for wannabes and immigrants, I guess. They probably don't see the entertainment industry as a valid useful profession tha deserves all the glamour and praise it gets.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:54 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I always thought that people from San Diego think that LA is a giant cesspool. Also because the burbs in San Diego are very conservative. The people from La Jolla I met were pretty elitist and rude. They were more vocal about being right wing then any right winger I've known in Texas. So they hate LA I'm sure.

But I guess they side with even more liberal SF because it's seen as a hub for intelligent people. LA is seen as a wasteland for wannabes and immigrants, I guess. They probably don't see the entertainment industry as a valid useful profession tha deserves all the glamour and praise it gets.
I was in San Diego in the downtown area for a concert. It's cool but it's a different vibe for sure.
Petco park was really nice . The SD crowd reminds me a bit more of the OC or South Bay beach crowd versus the L.A crowd. Definitely more blondes and bros in these areas than in general.

I'm sure it would be a nice place to live and seems a lot more laid back. Their downtown is a lot different and cleaner than ours. There was a tent city area with quite a few homeless that was kinda skid row lite..but in general things are cleaner and newer buildings and stuff there.

I'd definitely like to explore some more parts of the san diego area like la jolla, chula vista and stuff too.
I just like seeing new and different places though in general.

I could see the more conservative vibe playing a role. I always think it's funny when people put down the entertainment industry..but then they spend their time watching the content that "Hollywood" creates.

Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. There is also a lot more to the film industry than just wanna be actors.
Hollywood hires some of the best artists and craftsmen in the world. Many people behind the scenes that it's hard to even read the credits at the end of a movie they go by so quickly.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:56 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
I don't really get people like this. I think most people like this really aren't happy anywhere. They will find something to complain about, and have a big chip on their shoulder.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:33 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
When I was living in Orange County, the stigma existed, even friends from the Bay Area who would say these disparaging things about SoCal (San Diego not included) telling me that I was the exception, couldn't keep my eyes from rolling, and I've met their circle of friends from the Bay and ... not any brighter.

I'm out on the northeast now, I've met some folks from different parts of California, and yes, it tends to be Bay Area folks who have this complex. I've yet to encounter anyone on the east coast, even NYC folks, with as much animosity for SoCal as people from the Bay Area. I've actually gotten more ooohs, ahhhhs, what's it like?, and why'd ya move out here? from east coast folks.

I wonder if this rivalry is natural social development, north vs south. It's definitely present in New Jersey. It existed when I was in Italy some odd years ago. Even LA vs OC to a certain extent. If anything, I just find it amusing.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:58 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I was in San Diego in the downtown area for a concert. It's cool but it's a different vibe for sure.
Petco park was really nice . The SD crowd reminds me a bit more of the OC or South Bay beach crowd versus the L.A crowd. Definitely more blondes and bros in these areas than in general.

I'm sure it would be a nice place to live and seems a lot more laid back. Their downtown is a lot different and cleaner than ours. There was a tent city area with quite a few homeless that was kinda skid row lite..but in general things are cleaner and newer buildings and stuff there.

I'd definitely like to explore some more parts of the san diego area like la jolla, chula vista and stuff too.
I just like seeing new and different places though in general.

I could see the more conservative vibe playing a role. I always think it's funny when people put down the entertainment industry..but then they spend their time watching the content that "Hollywood" creates.

Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. There is also a lot more to the film industry than just wanna be actors.
Hollywood hires some of the best artists and craftsmen in the world. Many people behind the scenes that it's hard to even read the credits at the end of a movie they go by so quickly.
The OC up to San Diego is traditional, conservative, Bro-ish. San Fran is the same but in that liberal east coast like way that is status conscious and prestige minded. It reminded me A LOT of Boston and DC.

LA is prolly the only city out of the majors that lacks this old world level of prestige mongering. I see way less people jogging around in their college atire (unless it's usc or ucla). Other cities you'd see the guy have to show off he went to Georgetown or UPenn.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:27 PM

149 posts, read 232,188 times
In my experience, you're talking about different types of people.

I have found that people in SF feel they have more substance. A lot of people feel LA is cooler. Its the tale of residents of two cities thinking that the qualities that they feel make them and their city special is envied by the other.

Ha.

This is way out of left field, but I have a cousin who dates these gorgeous woman, but they are really usually on the ditsy side. But, the average guy that I know wouldn't care. While looks DO matter to me, the women I'm most attracted to are more conservative in their appearance, and are far more 'brainy'. He looks down on the kind of women I date, and vice versa.

One size does not fit all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles