Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:40 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I wouldn't call that area particularly walkable though.
Yeah, too far and hectic to walk to Westwood Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:30 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Santa Monica is very noisy during the day. Even North of Montana is noisy during the day -- lots of McMansions being built up there. People on cell phones. Leaf blowers. Lots of cars diverted to side streets, trying to avoid traffic.

LOTS of construction going on all over Santa Monica. Roads being torn up. New buildings everywhere. Traffic everywhere.

Old-timers keep complaining that SM is "no longer a sleepy little beach town." And we're right.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:00 PM

yeah SM is one of the busiest, nosiest parts of la county now. The area by the pier rivals hollywood and highland

Old 09-27-2015, 04:43 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Hermosa Beach? It's full of young, single, attractive people. During the day it's a cute, walkable beach town. Nice restaurants around. Many of the residents have white-collar office jobs and the like, so they won't be around during the day. But at night, the city comes alive. The bars and clubs are packed nearly every weekend night.

Manhattan Beach just north of Hermosa is more family-oriented. Not as many young, single people, but still has the vibe. Even more upscale than Hermosa and nearly everyone has a high-paying white-collar job. Those usually require them to be gone during the day. Can get a little noisy in the downtown area because the trophy wives and stay-at-home moms go brunching and shopping with their friends in their Range Rovers, but nothing like Hollywood or Santa Monica.

Both can be downright insane in summer, on par with Hollywood and Santa Monica, but for locals instead of tourists. But this only on very rare occasions. Like a festival going on, a national holiday, etc.

Upside of living there is you can bike nearly everywhere. And you can even head down to the beach for daytime naps. During the week it doesn't get too crowded there, unlike Santa Monica, which attracts tourists. It might be a little noisy from the students not in school during summer, but plenty of open space to relax during the day.

Maybe Culver City as well. During lunch time, you might get some noise and traffic from the entertainment industry nearby going for lunch. But it's generally pretty quiet during the day. At night the downtown area comes alive with many restaurant/bars lining the streets and tons of outdoor seating. You can walk to the movies, dinner, bars, and Trader Joe's for groceries.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Manhattan Beach just north of Hermosa is more family-oriented. Not as many young, single people, but still has the vibe. Even more upscale than Hermosa and nearly everyone has a high-paying white-collar job. Those usually require them to be gone during the day. Can get a little noisy in the downtown area because the trophy wives and stay-at-home moms go brunching and shopping with their friends in their Range Rovers
places like that ain't noisy at all.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
places like that ain't noisy at all.
Compared to Hollywood or Santa Monica or DTLA? No. Compared to Torrance or Irvine or Thousand Oaks? Yes.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:48 PM

109 posts, read 204,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
At this point it's simply getting better.
No, it's not getting better. That's what people who are putting their eggs in the DTLA basket want to believe. Crime has gone through the roof in the past year, especially in DTLA. This is borne out in the anecdotes reported both on this board and in the news media and in the statistics from the authorities.

Living on a high floor in a modern high-rise is probably the best way to keep the outside noise down and still be in a congested area - which is what walkable really means.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 14,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Beverly Grove. Lots going on there but very quiet during the day, and often at night too. Safe, decent price (still not cheap), convenient location.
I actually lived in Beverly Grove briefly (a few months) while I worked at a hospital in the area. I found it pleasant, but was unable to find much to do in the area at night. Has this changed or was I not looking hard enough?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 AM

13 posts, read 14,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Santa Monica is very noisy during the day. Even North of Montana is noisy during the day -- lots of McMansions being built up there. People on cell phones. Leaf blowers. Lots of cars diverted to side streets, trying to avoid traffic.

LOTS of construction going on all over Santa Monica. Roads being torn up. New buildings everywhere. Traffic everywhere.

Old-timers keep complaining that SM is "no longer a sleepy little beach town." And we're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
yeah SM is one of the busiest, nosiest parts of la county now. The area by the pier rivals hollywood and highland
I came across this comment on Quora from a musician from SM:

"Quiet all the time! If you hate noise, SM Police and the ocean do a great job of keeping things quiet. And if you like to stay inside and not be bothered, there is no nicer option."

Admittedly, the post was from 2012.

Are there parts of Santa Monica that are quieter than others (side streets) or is it pretty much just overrun by drunken tourists on segways?

I was visiting LA and driving around there just to get a feel for the area (will be moving permanently in a month) and was really impressed by the pier, but then once I went in a street or two things quieted down dramatically. Was this just my impression or is there something to this?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flibbertigibbet View Post
I came across this comment on Quora from a musician from SM:

"Quiet all the time! If you hate noise, SM Police and the ocean do a great job of keeping things quiet. And if you like to stay inside and not be bothered, there is no nicer option."

Admittedly, the post was from 2012.

Are there parts of Santa Monica that are quieter than others (side streets) or is it pretty much just overrun by drunken tourists on segways?

I was visiting LA and driving around there just to get a feel for the area (will be moving permanently in a month) and was really impressed by the pier, but then once I went in a street or two things quieted down dramatically. Was this just my impression or is there something to this?
Beverly Grove has a lot going on, especially on 3rd Street and Beverly Blvd. You're also technically walking distance to West Hollywood.

Santa Monica is pretty quiet overall. For example, the residential area north of the 3rd St Promenade (California, Washington, Idaho streets) is very quiet and laid back, but only steps away from the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles