Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Today about 12:30 noon I had someone ring my door bell and knock on door. This happens pretty often in my area on the weekends as it's usually Jehova Witnesses'a and they will leave a pamphlet usually.

This time I looked out my door a little afterward and noticed two guys going to the side of my house.
For a minute I thought maybe it was DWP or Gas company guys. I opened my front door with security door closed and yelled "Can I help you?" . I made a point to let my alarm system go off too .

They said something about someone telling them that they could film or photograph my pool or something. Sounded very weird. I said "Who told you that??"
They said "Some guy at a skate park"

I know for sure that this was BS as I don't know anyone that wanted to film anything at my house..and I never go to skate parks.

I said I don't know anything about that. They then took off and I went out to the front and saw their car. An older pickup with a cab. Two guys probably in their late 30s or early 40s.

I called my local police department after to tell them about it and if anything like that has happened in the area. But the guy told me no. It seems there should be some database of suspicious activity that isn't technically crime.
They just told me to "Call back if they come back"
The problem is the police is so slow though.

My house was broken into a few years back , so I really don't want a repeat of that.
I'm hoping my approaching them and seeing them means they won't try to come back.

I posted about this on a local neighborhood site to warn others..Not sure how many people will look at it .

Has anyone else had something like this happen?
Just glad I was home as I almost went out to get something to eat around that time.

Seems like people are just getting more and more desperate in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:23 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Do you have a gate? Put a padlock on it if you do.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:37 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
I have a solid ~7ft wooden front gate that doesn't have a doorbell. My house is set up in a way that people can't reach the real front door area without getting past that wooden gate first (my house is basically "U" shaped with the gate in between the two wings).

I purposely not install a gate doorbell so that burgulars can't check if anyone is home.

My guests all have my cellphone number.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:42 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Seeing what was inside the truck would have been the major clue. If it looked like they were living out of it or if they had a bunch of random junk in there they were probably looking for a place to squat or to burgle.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I have a solid ~7ft wooden front gate that doesn't have a doorbell. My house is set up in a way that people can't reach the real front door area without getting past that wooden gate first (my house is basically "U" shaped with the gate in between the two wings).

I purposely not install a gate doorbell so that burgulars can't check if anyone is home.

My guests all have my cellphone number.
Yeah..I think something like that makes sense. Right now I just have a small gate in front that's not locked , so people can come right up to the door. It would probably be better to have a more secure gate at front and just have the mailbox up there.

Does your setup cause any issues for when you receive packages,etc? Of course not as important as deterring criminals ..but just wondering.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Seeing what was inside the truck would have been the major clue. If it looked like they were living out of it or if they had a bunch of random junk in there they were probably looking for a place to squat or to burgle.
It was a covered shell type of pickup , I didn't see anything inside. Didn't see like the type that one would live in...but who knows. I did have someone park a big rundown RV in front of my house for a while , which I really didn't like. I did report it. It's weird having something like that parked in front of your house.

I also though perhaps they might of been druggies trying to steal copper or something. Hard to tell for sure.

The pretty indifferent attitude of the police..and their slow response times has made me consider taking firearm lessons and purchasing a gun.
I've never been into guns, but I don't have much confidence in the police showing up.

They should feel pretty lucky they didn't get shot..if they tried the same thing at some gangbangers house who knows what the outcome would be.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:02 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
What neighborhood do you live in?

You might also install some video cameras, and a sign that says, "Videotaping in progress." Video Recording In Progress Sign - CCTV Security Signs, SKU: K-7656

Some people who can't afford a video surveillance setup just buy the signs.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:58 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Today about 12:30 noon I had someone ring my door bell and knock on door. This happens pretty often in my area on the weekends...
THINGS A BURGLAR WON’T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I’ll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he’ll stop what he’s doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn’t hear it again, he’ll just go back to what he was doing. It’s human nature.

4. I’m not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I’m looking for signs that you’re home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I’d like. I’ll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It’s easier than you think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it’s an invitation.

8. If you don’t answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

More here: 13+ Things a Burglar Won't Say: Prevent Home Invasion Crime

Old 09-27-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
What neighborhood do you live in?

You might also install some video cameras, and a sign that says, "Videotaping in progress." Video Recording In Progress Sign - CCTV Security Signs, SKU: K-7656

Some people who can't afford a video surveillance setup just buy the signs.
I'm in the North Hollywood area.
Yeah I've been thinking of cameras. I do have a security system and I know they offer video cameras too, but not sure if it's best to good with them or not.

I do have an alarm sign in lawn and window stickers too..but I guess some of these criminals figure some people might be bluffing and not really have an alarm? Or they just are willing to take their chances.

I felt like telling them I knew they were up to know good and that I better not see them in my area again, but I also didn't want to entice them either.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Does your setup cause any issues for when you receive packages,etc? Of course not as important as deterring criminals ..but just wondering.
I usually know when a package is coming since everything has tracking these days.

The USPS/UPS/Fedex guy either throws it over the gate or hides it behind the shrubs. I am out there to get it within minutes if I am at home.

If an item is really valuable, I have it sent to my wife's workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles