Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times

Advertisements

Saw something I have never seen before today.
Traveling on Pasadena ave just east of Highland park, the lanes were set up with parking cones, and highway patrol was directing vehicles that looked older, into the right hand lane.
I was driving my 02 Dakota, so the chp directed me into the right lane.
As soon as I pulled up to the next officer in line he said good morning Mr.H.

In that short time after turning in the right lane, (about three seconds), they not only had my name, but the year of my vehicle.
Less than a few seconds more, and the officer said thanks, we are checking smog control on older vehicles, and your's is fine.

Never saw this before.
Think it is a great idea.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
You forgot to write "Thanks for reading."

Old 09-29-2015, 01:23 PM

329 posts, read 627,869 times
So they didn't put your car on a roller? What did they do? Curious because I have a 93 300ZX TT with some mods that weren't 'legal'. Luckily I it's not my daily. I've heard of CHP mobile smog checks and it scares me lol

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
So they didn't put your car on a roller? What did they do? Curious because I have a 93 300ZX TT with some mods that weren't 'legal'. Luckily I it's not my daily. I've heard of CHP mobile smog checks and it scares me lol
I'm guessing they are looking for the obvious like black smoke or something.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:48 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Saw something I have never seen before today.
Traveling on Pasadena ave just east of Highland park, the lanes were set up with parking cones, and highway patrol was directing vehicles that looked older, into the right hand lane.
I was driving my 02 Dakota, so the chp directed me into the right lane.
As soon as I pulled up to the next officer in line he said good morning Mr.H.

In that short time after turning in the right lane, (about three seconds), they not only had my name, but the year of my vehicle.
Less than a few seconds more, and the officer said thanks, we are checking smog control on older vehicles, and your's is fine.

Never saw this before.
Think it is a great idea.

Bob.
Good stuff. I wonder how many asshats they catch who are out of compliance this way.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Did they plug in a diagnostic tool to your ODBII reader? Hold an oxygen sensor near your exhaust? If not, how did they confirm your vehicle was within compliance?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:42 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Did they plug in a diagnostic tool to your ODBII reader? Hold an oxygen sensor near your exhaust? If not, how did they confirm your vehicle was within compliance?
They didn't put the pickup up on the rollers, but I did see a chevy surburban on the rollers.
I can't say if they stuck anything up the pipe, because I wasn't looking out the rear window.
I doubt they did because I was only there a couple of seconds.
The officer did have a scope machine, and perhaps it showed I had a recent smog check in August.
Bob.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:52 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Regardless of what they are doing, checkpoints like this are technically not legal.
They are not supposed to stop you without having a reasonable suspicion that you broke the law.
This doesn't qualify.

R.I.P. Constitution.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:35 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,906 times
They've set up near my office on several occasions. The CHP seems to direct older vehicles into the test area. My newish van never gets a second look, but when I drove my girlfriend's '95 Toyota they waved me over. I pointed to my office building and said I'd be happy to leave the car if I could go & come back so I wasn't late for work. They tester said he didn't want me to be late for work, and told me to take off.

I think they are not only looking for polluting cars, but also trying to identify test centers that pass cars that shouldn't be passed (i.e., taking bribes).

Old 10-02-2015, 05:03 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Is this something Brown spearheaded? It certainly seems like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles