Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 2,814 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Cali in Jan on business and am flying into Lax and have decided to stay for couple nights. I am quite familiar with the inland areas as have visited many times before. However, this time I want to check out some of the beach areas such as hermosa, Manhattan and redondo.

I arrive late afternoon so will just have half day and 1 full day. I am debating whether to just stay at a Lax hotel and travel to these beaches as I will have a car, or whether indeed I should stay at one of these beach towns instead. Lax does not seem that far away if this distance is easily drive-able and I have a car and the cost saving certainly makes it worthwhile to me as I'm on a budget.

The lax option seems to be the cheaper choice as I can get a decent holiday inn for around $100 per night, compared to similar hotels in beach areas which are around $200. I'm not bothered about staying in a beach surrounding as such as the hotel for me is just somewhere to sleep as long as I can access the areas with relative ease.

1. Is driving to and from a lax hotel to beach areas easily commutable for a day?
2. What's weather likely to be like first 2 weeks of Jan by the beach areas? Cold and windy or sun?
3. If I was to stay in beach area, would there be a preference? I've seen couple hotels in RB.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,664,640 times
The LAX location isn't too bad for a drive to some of the beach areas. I've done that in the past, mainly because all the beach city hotels were booked solid. As for the weather in Jan? Knowing California, it could be just about anything. You might just luck out and get a string of beautiful days. Or, not.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:17 AM

Thanks.
If the weather was awful then is it fairly easy to go more inland to Beverly Hills, West Hollywood etc from lax? Not sure I wanna be on coast of its real windy either!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,664,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J20man View Post
Thanks.
If the weather was awful then is it fairly easy to go more inland to Beverly Hills, West Hollywood etc from lax? Not sure I wanna be on coast of its real windy either!
Sure, you can always drive just about anywhere. The traffic, though, can be terrible. No sense worrying about the weather at this point. Usually, it's tolerable.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:19 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,675,182 times
If you're checking out Malibu beaches and you don't mind driving farther to LAX then look at Agoura or Westlake Village hotels. More bang for you buck and much cleaner cities, less pimps and hookers, homeless, crack dealers, robberies, etc.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,899,787 times
If I were you, I would stay at LAX and rent a car. Take Sepulveda south and it will take you right to Manhattan Beach and the rest of the places you mentioned. Take Sepulveda to Imperial, make a right and then left on Vista del Mar and it will take you along the beach right into Manhattan and beyond. Then when it's time to leave, you won't have to worry about getting to the airport on time as the LAX hotels all have shuttles and it's only minutes away.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:30 AM

83 posts, read 156,206 times
The distances you are all quibbling about are minimal. Anything is cheaper than staying in beachfront rentals or even Highland Ave. in the beach towns. They are the same price as Phoenix that time of year. The mileage is not a concern.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 AM

Actually I don't need to get back to lax as I am travelling north California after two days and staying with friends for a week.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:20 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,164 times
The weather in January is typically mid to upper 60's during the day and about 47 to 50 degrees for the low. Our rainy season is Dec. to April and the predictions are we will get a lot of rain this winter. Of course, this year January was mostly warm and sunny. So you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles