Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,451 times

Advertisements

Hey friends and neighbors,
I parked on a non-painted curb on a Saturday night and received a LAMC 80.56E1 (white zone)
Please let me know if you can see any reason that we may have been ticketed. I'm including pictures.

Can I contest this without going to traffic court and If so how? It's extremely hard for me to take time off of work right now to contest a ticket and I'm frustrated because as far as I can tell the ticket is a false charge.

thanks,
MJQ III

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 12:02 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Looks like the sign states parking by permit only.

Bob.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,451 times
No Parking anytime Monday-Wednesday. Correct?
Am I missing something?

Old 10-14-2015, 05:57 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
The Monday through Wednesday might be referring to the commercial vehicle exemption. If that is the case then it is simple a No Parking Anytime zone for passenger vehicles.

Definitely a strangely written sign though.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM

392 posts, read 1,092,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
The Monday through Wednesday might be referring to the commercial vehicle exemption. If that is the case then it is simple a No Parking Anytime zone for passenger vehicles.

Definitely a strangely written sign though.
I also think the sign is saying (quite poorly and not as clearly as it should be said) that commercial vehicles with use permit can park there Monday through Wednesday but it's no parking anytime for everyone else / all other vehicle types.

A week after we moved to LA, I got a street sweeping ticket. I couldn't believe there were two empty parking spots right outside Starbucks with the meters flashing green. I was so careful to park between the lines and the proper distance from the curb - even fed the meter an extra quarter in case the line inside was long. I could see the car from inside but never noticed the meter maid (actually a guy) printing out a ticket.

I got back to the car at three minutes after 10:00am, found the ticket, and actually drove down the street chasing the meter guy to ask him why I had been ticketed. He was very nice to me and spent a few minutes to enlighten me about street sweeping and the overall parking situation in LA.

My ticket was because I had parked on the side of the street with street sweeping / no parking between 10am and 1pm on Fridays -- and I never noticed the sign because it wasn't right in front of my meter and I didn't know at the time to look in the whole area for signs before parking and leaving the car.

The meter guy advised me, before parking anywhere ever, to read every sign - including the fine print - to look for signs behind trees and partially hidden - that different sides of the streets have street sweeping on different days - some parking is by permit only on certain days and times but otherwise ok - and to always check the times. He told me that there can be multiple signs posted for the same parking space or meter and the information will very often be different from one day and time to another.

Most importantly for whatever it's worth, he told me that if there's any doubt, park somewhere else because the signs are written to confuse. That was in 2010 and that was the last ticket I got - this guy has saved me from so many tickets since then. We moved outside of the city five months ago so there are no more parking issues like this every single day - but it's still second nature now to second-guess and analyze every sign when we are parking in areas like the one where you were.

I feel for you - your pictures really helped get an idea of how confusing that sign is and I have no doubt it was written that way on purpose to possibly trick us. Not fair. Reading the fine print at the bottom, it seems fortunate that they didn't tow you.

Last edited by Freebird; 10-14-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 08:56 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
The sign says you cannot park there Monday thru Wednesday, unless you have a permit to do so because your vehicle is involved with the film crew or whomever paid for the permits.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
This sign is easy. Vehicles can't ever park there unless there's a loading commercial vehicle mon-wed. No chance this is dismissed.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM

399 posts, read 406,749 times
I don't see what was so tough to understand.

"NO PARKING ANY TIME" <--- Says it all right there.

"Commercial vehicles with use permit exempt MONDAY thru WEDNESDAY" <--- You're not a commercial vehicle with a use permit so this doesn't affect you.

It's really not difficult to understand. Do they really need to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator? As far as parking signs go, this one is incredibly simple to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles