Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM

37 posts, read 97,822 times

Advertisements

I lived in LA for several years and really, really enjoyed it. I was never bored, the weather was always super, and it just felt "exciting." What I hated was the traffic. Yes, I got used to it so there were times when I forgot that I hated traffic, but when I am asked if I'd ever move back I always say, "NO!.... ONLY beacuse of the traffic." It's really too bad I can't see myself ever returning because of one factor, but as many LA-ers will tell you, the traffic sadly is a BIG thing. That said, if you aren't required to drive the freeways (translated-- you're lucky enough to work and live in the same area AND somehow all your friends live there too), then LA is terrific. Unfortunately, I knew of no one in that position.

While I couldn't live there again, I do LOVE LA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:34 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,429 times
We love living in LA, but my wife and I (combined) drive 12,000 miles a year, she commutes 6 miles one way three days a week, I work at home, and our incomes are high enough to enjoy living here while still saving quite a bit of money. We have no interest in having children and can enjoy the weather and lifestyle as much as possible. I wouldn't want to raise two kids in LA without a bare minimum 150k in household income. Yes I know it can be done with less, but under that point I think most families are better off moving somewhere cheaper assuming their careers are portable to another location.

That said, I think if we wanted kids we'd prefer to live in a metro area like Denver, Portland, Albuquerque, which is smaller and much cheaper. Part of what makes LA great are the perfect weather, endless ethnic food options, constant things to do ranging from the beach, mountains, shows clubs, basically any amount of excitement you can think of. You have fresh produce, awesome outdoor options, and are close to so many places/things.

That said, all of the above matters much less if you have children, and things such as a bigger house with a bigger yard, good schools, less congestion, more safety...and things like a mediocre restaurant scene, arts scene, start to become "good enough" for raising kids and schools, cheap housing, low crime matter more. But for us and the lifestyle we want, LA fits perfectly.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks6 View Post
We are moving to LA for my husband's job in the next few months. He will be working near LAX. I guess we would be considered middle class. Have 4 beautiful blond girls ranging in age from 2 to 16. I was told last night not to bring my kids to live in LA unless my husband made well over $100K bc we would not be able to afford to live in a safe neighborhood. Is this true? Any Advice welcome.
If I were you (and I am), take a look at my househunting tools thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ing-tools.html

Have you checked housing options? Schools? Commuting patterns?

Where you live depends on what home you can afford and your tolerance or ability to commute. What you can afford depends on your cash flow (salary) and down payment.

With those kids, I'd strongly urge you to look for good schools

School Performance Maps

Near the colst (within one mile) is very expensive. Too far from the coast (east of the 405) and the schools are pretty bad. El Segundo is nice but it is not cheap. Torrance is nice and a little cheaper. North on the 405 is a brutal drive.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM

201 posts, read 648,400 times
This topic has been more than run dry but I feel the need to respond. The question was, "What do you like about LA?" The answer is nothing. After living in LA for 25 years and watching my friends betray me, illegals take our jobs and women make a mess of my life, I left that trash bucket and came to NY. I laugh every time I read about the people who "love it"there. Who are you kidding??? You love your weather. Sunshine doesnt solve your problems. What about the high prices? The illegals? The fact that you call a burrito "culture"? No one seems to pay attention to the real factors. A tidal wave could swallow the city but as long as the sun shines everyone says nothing.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
The fact that you call a burrito "culture"?
The Getty Center/Villa, LACMA, MOCA, LA Phil at Disney Hall, Hollywood Bowl/Greek Theatre, The Wiltern, Skirball Center, The Museum of Tolerance, The Hammer Museum, Huntington Library, Norton Simon Museum, etc... > "a burrito"

You lived here for 25 years and couldn't find more culture than a burrito? No wonder you were so miserable... you must not have gotten out much.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
I lived in LA for 25 years too and there are lots of things I love: hanging out in Malibu, living at the beach, hiking in Angeles forest, great Museums, theatre, live music, restaurants and bars, cool cars, architecture. But NONE of those things could ever get me to move back there. Instead I like to visit, enjoy those things, and then get the heck out of there. It was WAY better in the '80's when there were a few million less people.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:42 PM

The Getty Center/Villa, LACMA, MOCA, LA Phil at Disney Hall, Hollywood Bowl/Greek Theatre, The Wiltern, Skirball Center, The Museum of Tolerance, The Hammer Museum, Huntington Library, Norton Simon Museum, etc... > "a burrito"

You lived here for 25 years and couldn't find more culture than a burrito? No wonder you were so miserable... you must not have gotten out much.

What a list of places that take 2 hours to drive too and are so crowded with rude people that you can barely walk. Congratulations. Why don't you add Knotts Berry Farm to that pathetic list? I'm glad that you're impressed enough with The Wiltern of all places to really refer to that as culture. How does an empty, over-priced concert venue equal culture? And you're right. When I was there I didn't get out much. I was too busy latching my doors so people like you wouldnt break in. I'm cooking burritos right now. You should come by.

Last edited by STP554987; 01-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
[b]This topic has been more than run dry but I feel the need to respond. The question was, "What do you like about LA?" The answer is nothing. After living in LA for 25 years and watching my friends betray me, illegals take our jobs and women make a mess of my life, I left that trash bucket and came to NY.
Oh, so you left the trash bucket and went straight for the toilet (NYC).

Hilarious. To each his own. Hope you are happy there.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM

9 posts, read 24,150 times
If you are planning on living in a nice house / area, then I would say "yes", you had better make well over 100k.... We moved recently from there, looking to go back now, but yes, it is expensive; but, it also has everything to offer if you can afford it. Though the housing "crash" has made it a little more affordable, it is still very easy to spend 1MM and not be in anything too nice, again, depending on where your going to live. To work near LAX, unless you want a long commute, you are looking at the West LA, South Bay, etc, 1mm won't get you much of anything though, near good schools, etc.... But keeping in mind, it is a great place to be.....

Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM

TheRealAngelion.... Your name says it all. Viva Los Angeles! Also, just to let you know, there are more places in NY than NYC. Take a look at a map. You'd be surprised to see it's actually an entire state. I sure didn't assume you lived in Hollywood just because you're in California. Enjoy the gangs as they shoot at your 500K piece of garbage home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles