Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 AM

37 posts, read 90,354 times

Advertisements

Being spoiled by accessible roads, coffee shops everywhere, and scenic biking trails from some glamorous cities, I hated LA at first. It was too hot, traffic was bad, too much work (50-60 hours), high price of living and housing, and food just became impossible. HOWEVER-- I will say that LA is now one of my most favored cities. It's got ton of Hispanic culture, meaning lots of nice people and beautiful food. It's got the rich culture too, but that's too superficial for the average person. In a way, it's nice. Since everyone's on the same poverty line, we all appreciate each other. I've never seen so many ethnicity and races become good friends. Besides the rich, everyone's friendly. Middle-upper class people seem to have a problem from everyone. They are too private. But LA has it all, hills, beaches, coffee shops, great Mediterranean and Mexican food, music venues and shows. If you have just the right amount of money and a reliable car, LA is a dream come true (not driving during rush hours-BTW). The longer you live here, the more you find out about its secrets. You come to enjoy all of it: Echo, Griffith, Silver Lake, Venice, Santa Monica, Pasadena, and more. It's melting pot of so much diversity and opportunities. Of course, a drive to Dana Point or Zuma Beach (Malibu) is a must! Eventually, this place became like home. I'm sad to see it go, as I will be moving to the East Coast now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Fancy term for "gardener?"
No-Environmental Engineers have a good background in bilogy/chemsitry/math/geology plus permitting and environmental regulations. Not the easiest degree nor the hardest.
They make about 30.00/hour at the mine I work at here in Montana.

Last edited by CTC; 05-24-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,623,973 times
The apartment I am looking at is in North Hollywood ten mins away from Burbank and near Laural Canyon Blvd, Sherman Way and two streets down from the Hollywood Freeway.

Anyone know if this is a safe area?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
No-Environmental Engineers have a good background in bilogy/chemsitry...
Hmmm...sounds esoteric. I got a B.A. in Environmental Studies and never ran into these.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
The apartment I am looking at is in North Hollywood ten mins away from Burbank and near Laural Canyon Blvd, Sherman Way and two streets down from the Hollywood Freeway.

Anyone know if this is a safe area?
Personally, I wouldn't choose those areas, but maybe West Hollywood--and I hear good things about Sherman Way. I have other suggestions, but idk where you're commuting for work.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't choose those areas, but maybe West Hollywood--and I hear good things about Sherman Way. I have other suggestions, but idk where you're commuting for work.
Commuting to Riverside Dr. in Burbank

Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Commuting to Riverside Dr. in Burbank
Over on Riverside are nice places to live anyway. If I were you, I'd look to anywhere south around Riverside (5-134 belt) around Griffith or Silver Lake. Silver Lake use to be really hip, and it's overrated now. It's still totally worth the experience and commute.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,793 times
no

Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
Not sure who wants to live here by choice. I am heading out to Austin Texas this weekend to meet with some friends, maybe we can just swap lives. LA has some great infrastructure that is unique to SoCal. I can give you all the great attractions, Disneyland, Getty, Romans Chinese Theatre, the Beach, Mountains two hours away (If you drive at 2 a.m. in the morning). Here's the big issue, there has been such an invasion from third world countries that all the wonderful things that LA has to offer have either been destroyed or are virtually impossible to get to. Try driving 20 miles on the freeways one night trying to get to the theatre, you will be so miserable you will not even want to watch the show. Many of these people have no interest in becoming American citizens or embracing what America stands for or even learning the language, many areas of LA have become mini countries, you can't even read the signs on the buildings. This is why LA real estate is so expensive, there are only a few places in the entire city that you would actually want to live. LA was once a beautiful city, now it only has pockets of greatness left. I hate that my city has become a terrible place to live, I was born here and have seem the demise and it makes me sad. Most people stay because of family or businesses they own, others are just looking for a way out. I live in Southbay, Westwood is about two to three hours from here.
I agree about what you said about people moving from 3rd world countries. The same thing is going on in Austin, Texas...if not more, since Mexico is right below it. These people REFUSE to learn the language, and suck up all the gov resources and programs, which should be reserved for people who were actually born in the US. Did you know that Austin, Tx has a 6 year wait list for simple gov programs like rental assistance and section 8? hmmmm...i wonder why!

The only difference between LA and Austin TX is that they got the crime under control in Austin....at least violent crimes anyway. That doesn't stop the 'petty' crime though.....Austin is a nice place to live if you don't want to get shot, raped or initiated into a gang without your consent , but Austin is still the place to go to if you want your car broken into.

LA real estate is so expensive because the banks (who own it all) is banking on a bunch of starry-eyed young kids to move to LA in the hopes of making it big and becoming a celebrity. They know that even if the real natives of LA is moving out in droves, there will still be a ton of people transplants to take their place. The demand is still high to live in LA, despite the fact that you will need 3 jobs JUST to pay the rent with very little money to enjoy those attractions you mentioned lol

Also, many people move to LA to make it appear like they are 'doing something' or successful. You should hear how some of my family members from the north would brag about how some of our family who stayed in California. As if that automatically makes you successful...*rolls eyes.*

Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
Over on Riverside are nice places to live anyway. If I were you, I'd look to anywhere south around Riverside (5-134 belt) around Griffith or Silver Lake. Silver Lake use to be really hip, and it's overrated now. It's still totally worth the experience and commute.
I ended up in North Hollywood. Laurel Canyon and Sherman Way.

Nice apartments but I am wondering about the area. It's eight mins away from work in Burbank on Riverside Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles