Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 PM

37 posts, read 149,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I can also put my top down 12 months a year. Life is good.
Not in the summer, unless you really like skin cancer, 'cause that sun is usually too hot to bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:42 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopodfrancis View Post
Not in the summer, unless you really like skin cancer, 'cause that sun is usually too hot to bear.
Come on now, we aren't living in Texas where its ridiculously hot.
Perhaps the SFV gets a bit warmer but nothing unbearable like in the Antelope Valley.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
That's what sunscreen is for. It seems to be working, people think I'm in my 20's. Where is it too hot to put the top down? I don't live in the IE or High Desert. The weather is awesome here.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
See my response to the other person re: sunscreen...it's wonderful stuff. If it ever gets too hot, the top goes up and it's down again by 4 or 5pm.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i like LA.
no winter. lots of palm trees. lots of cheap cruises. lots of good cheap mexican food.
if you like autonomy this is your kinda place.
you can walk down the street in a gorilla suit and nobody will say jack.
here, you can be anybody you want and nobody cares who you really are.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:16 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomissthing View Post
I have been living in London, UK for the past 13 years but am considering moving to the US, perhaps California. I've been reading the posts on this site for a while and the thing that shocked me most is the amount of racist comments! London is very multi cultural and posting anything like the thread below for example would be considered extremely ignorant and racist. Makes me wonder whether I would want to live in a country which has so many people going on about immigrants (my apologies to those who haven't bought into the Bush agenda). Also Steve, unless you happen to be native American you are an immigrant too - where are your grand and great grand parents from? Germany? Ireland? The UK?
Once in LA, it's tempting to become racist. You might wind up in a neighborhood that you dont' know what country you are in and you might not like what you see. Lack of assimilation. You'll see what I mean.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:10 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
No Thanks ! I would rather live in L.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutierrez View Post
All i hear about LA is alot of negitivity. Come to the greatest city on earth NYC baby you'll love it here half the commute and 4 times the culture. well the commute is a set bases like it takes me 45 minutes to get into the city(manhattan) so there isnt any suprises or traffic jam you when what time you get anywhere. We also have an amazing parks and beach's from central park to greenwich, orcherd, wild wood all the beaches along our neighboring metropolitan area which on a train you could get to those locations under an hour. any place else fuhgedaboutit

Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 AM

11 posts, read 54,241 times
Quote:
L.A. is awesome. I'm third generation. I got out and moved around and saw what was out there and I'm back to stay. Los Angeles is better than ever. Going to the midwest and seeing nothing but white people made me appreciate our diversity (I'm a white guy). Who wants to wear a beige suit every day of the year? A key to happiness here is to avoid long commutes. I live where I work or very close. Newbies perplex me...they have the need to traverse the entire L.A. metro area on a near daily basis and then gripe about the traffic. They choose places to live far from their work. It's like "I just got a place in Cincinati, I think I'll go find a job in Dayton".

Money making opportunities are drastically better than any other place I've lived. I most recently lived in Hawaii and cost of living was twice what it cost me to live in Pasadena. I wasn't living the high life either. I began to miss all that is Los Angeles and all I took for granted when I left. I won't make that mistake again.

I've lived here with very little money, in the middle and with plenty of money. I did just fine in all circumstances. I notice the L.A. bashers almost always move to the boonies when they leave. I've said it before...if you don't like living in a gigantic city, by all means...don't live here. I don't think anyone should be in a place they don't want to live. Life's too short. (I consider a large town with tall office buildings in the middle the boonies in addition to the sticks.) I don't bash anyone wanting to move to mountains or wide open spaces or whatever it is that turns them on. I really don't need to be that far from other humans...and it's BORING! I just suffered 4 years of it. I thrive on the energy here which is unlike any other place I've been (and I've traveled a LOT). A close second is NYC but it's too cold and too hot and it's not home...but it's fabulous.

I live in a sweet spot. I have absolutely everything I could ever need within 2 miles. I can walk to movies, theatre, cafe culture, restaurants, boutiques...you name it, it's here. I love the fact that we're the entertainment capital. I always find an excuse to get on set and meet celebs. I did a few movies last year too...just 'cause I felt like it. From the time I lived in my first home in South Pasadena to now has been nearly 40 years. I'm still discovering things here. Networking does amazing things here. My partner got an ongoing gig paying fairly obscene money from a friend of a friend of a friend not long after we returned. It's always happened like that here. I'm pursuing my own dreams here....7 years ago I would have considered them grandiose and the only thing that prevented me from doing it was my attitude.

I can also put my top down 12 months a year. Life is good.
Thit is why I also share your love for LA.
To be honest, I have never been there and although I am 42 years of age I really dream of taking my whole family and bring them (two adults and three kids) to this amazing place one day.
I don't why, but I always felt drawn to SoCal and maybe just like you I can write and share the positive vibes that makes this part of the World so amazing.
I am not so much looking for meeting celebs but I would love to have some kind of life there (my own place under the SoCal sun :-)).
When the sun shines and I have my weekend in The Netherlands (where we life) I often watch the blue sky, sit in the front of my house and dream that I am already there.. ain't that silly *smile* ??
It is not for the weather that I love the region it is also the diversity and being part of an incredible dynamic area.
I embrace life and I agree that life is too short to remain on a spot for to long, than again with children and being responcible you have to think twice and the fact that it ain't easy to enter the States for a living these days unless you are a real unique professional which I am not... (I am Archiver) so not special at all.
I enjoyed your comment and wish you many years in good health under the SoCal sun !

Regards, Arian de Koning - The Netherlands (Europe)

Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
Quote:
L.A. is awesome. I'm third generation. I got out and moved around and saw what was out there and I'm back to stay. Los Angeles is better than ever. Going to the midwest and seeing nothing but white people made me appreciate our diversity (I'm a white guy). Who wants to wear a beige suit every day of the year? A key to happiness here is to avoid long commutes. I live where I work or very close. Newbies perplex me...they have the need to traverse the entire L.A. metro area on a near daily basis and then gripe about the traffic. They choose places to live far from their work. It's like "I just got a place in Cincinati, I think I'll go find a job in Dayton".
Avoiding the commutes is a key to happiness anywhere. I live less than 3 miles from my office and the commute is literally 10 minutes each way with no freeway.

Portland has rush hour traffic thats downright nasty too, in case people from LA have delusions about how cute and nice it is here. I've sat for an honest to god hour on the I-5 from downtown to the Interstate bridge going into Vancouver, WA...a stretch of road that would take 5 min to cover at freeway speeds. On the rare occasions I get trapped in it, I think wow, I couldn't imagine dealing with this crap on a daily basis.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM

312 posts, read 1,519,614 times
LA is great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles