Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,149 times

Advertisements

Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do for a Tuesday in November before Thanksgiving while my daughter is at work. Want to excape her tiny apartment in Westchester & I won't have a car. Suggestions needed for a museum, gardens, or historic site to UBER or public transit to. We fly out of state that evening, so just looking for a daytime adventure. Love to go to the Getty, but probably too difficult to reach.
Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 02:00 PM

171 posts, read 195,580 times
westchester isn't that far from the getty. i would go there if i were you. if you take the bus or a cab uber you won't have to pay for parking at least. the getty. go for it!

Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM

25 posts, read 42,584 times
Screw Hollywood, not even joking. Take it from a native here that knows DTLA by heart. If you want beautiful architecture and vibrant street action, with wonderful dense streets, diverse european and latin american private owned businesses, go to the fashion district.

You can walk through the Santee Alley, go up Los Angeles St. (Avoid Skidrow), now you can ethier make your way into Broadway and explore Perishing Square surrounding districts, (these are the taller skyscraper concentration neighborhoods of LA)

or go abit more north east into Arts District, Little Tokyo, Chinatown. This area is abit shorter, and newer. Used to be alot of parking lots but things are changing. Your close enough to walk across the Los Angeles river bridge and back.

I dont recommend doing all of what i listed in one day, no way can you visit Southern California and not make time to drive up our amazing coast. Goodluck and seriously avoid Skidrow. come back in 5 years and you'll see the eastside gentrify. It's enevitable. Gentrification is at full pace and you'll soon discover all the cranes soaring above you and construction as you make your journey around DTLA as a pedestrian.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindcc1 View Post
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do for a Tuesday in November before Thanksgiving while my daughter is at work. Want to excape her tiny apartment in Westchester & I won't have a car. Suggestions needed for a museum, gardens, or historic site to UBER or public transit to. We fly out of state that evening, so just looking for a daytime adventure. Love to go to the Getty, but probably too difficult to reach.
Thanks in advance for your ideas.
I would go to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. You might also be interested in the LA County Museum of Art.

Overview | LACMA

Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,766 times
Thanks for the speedy suggestions! I'm coming from San Francisco & have visited LA several times and have walked downtown, Hollywood, studio tours, Santa Monica & Venice. The Getty has been on my list and never seem to have the time to visit. But just checked travel time & said between 2-4pm it could take over 1.5 hours in traffic from Westchester! Last time I drove down that was the worst stretch of traffic on the 405 & it was a Monday around 1. Doesn't sound like fun and I'd be paying for a taxi or Uber car.
Or maybe thinking of a day strolling Manhattan Beach and just chill out before the family gathering in AZ. Another place on my wish list, (history nerd here) is visiting the area mission since I teach, and it's one of the 3 I haven't visited. Just have no desire to deal with traffic. Love to walk around neighborhoods, (daughter's last was Brentwood), but she just moved & says not much within walking distance near her new place. Any other suggestions? Much appreciated!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Whatever you do, do yourself a favor and remember that 1 single day in Los Angeles is nowhere close to enough time to form a good perception of the whole city.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:02 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccseeker View Post
Any other suggestions?
Here are a couple of low key suggestions that one wouldn't normally think of.

Sawtelle Japantown Yelp

Sawtelle Japantown - LA Times

https://www.culvercity.org/~/media/F...Map%20pdf.ashx

Downtown Culver City

Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Here's something different. If you're coming after the 16th, why not spend the afternoon browsing Farmer's Market and the Grove. They're lighting the Christmas Tree on the 16th and it's really pretty. Lots of little gift shops in Farmer's Market and plenty of places to have lunch, of course.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:30 AM

205 posts, read 409,718 times
Try and go to the Griffith Observatory, The Grove, Venice Beach, 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica, Natural History Museum/California Science Center, LACMA, The Getty, La Brea Tar Pits, Hollywood and Highland. If you plan it out right you can go to 2 or 3 places in one day. Just wake up early. RENT A CAR!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles