Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times

Advertisements

How would you rank these three communities for suburban living? I see them as:

Simi: mostly middle class with upper-middle class around the edges. Mostly white with some latinos. Too far from most job centers. Good public schools for the most part.

Stevenson Ranch: upper-middle class. Difficult to get into LA during morning rush hour and vice versa. Mostly white with some asians. Good schools.

Porter Ranch: upper-middle class to upper class. Lots of Nouveau riche and leased Mercedes. Easiest access to LA. More diverse (probably half white, big Korean presence with some Armenians). For some reason, a Wal-Mart is there. LAUSD.

All three have about the same weather.

Who cares to join this stimulating and prosperous discussion of prosperity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 04:18 PM

399 posts, read 406,784 times
They're really building out Porter Ranch right now. New homes. A new shopping center. Easy freeway access. Great hiking and mountain biking nearby. It would be my personal choice.

Simi I'm not crazy about. There are a few nice, newer neighborhoods to the north of the 118 and the far west, but otherwise the town is blah. Too blue collar for me. Too many weird white folks.

Stevenson Ranch is decent. Got some nice communities out there. I think the weather's a little hotter than Simi and maybe even PR. An okay choice if you don't mind the commute.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Simi has a big advantage being in Ventura County.

The sales tax is 7.5% versus 9% in LA County. Crime is super-low, lots of police live in Simi, and police response time is swift. Ventura County government services are superior and even the County offices are uncrowded. In fact, everywhere you go is uncrowded. It's family-oriented and people actually know their neighbors. It's a "natural" community as opposed to a "planned" community. But I agree with Kaz, it could use an update, and is not as pretty as it could be. But it has more personality than PR or SR. And very few onerous neighborhood regulations, which can be good or not so good. City growth limits and open-space preservation laws are in place. Simi is OK, but I prefer Thousand Oaks, actually.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
They're really building out Porter Ranch right now. New homes. A new shopping center. Easy freeway access. Great hiking and mountain biking nearby. It would be my personal choice.

Simi I'm not crazy about. There are a few nice, newer neighborhoods to the north of the 118 and the far west, but otherwise the town is blah. Too blue collar for me. Too many weird white folks.

Stevenson Ranch is decent. Got some nice communities out there. I think the weather's a little hotter than Simi and maybe even PR. An okay choice if you don't mind the commute.
City Council and developers said the new PR shopping center will be ready in late 2017. Therefore, we should expect them to open their doors sometime around 2025. The shopping center should help out property values if done right.

Also, they were very adamant about not putting a gym in the new shopping center due to parking concerns, even though the new Village at Woodland Hills (a best practice that PR should be looking at) has a gym. Nonetheless, they are going to put a hotel there.

I agree that Simi has alot of "git-r-dun" types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Simi has a big advantage being in Ventura County.

The sales tax is 7.5% versus 9% in LA County. Crime is super-low, lots of police live in Simi, and police response time is swift. Ventura County government services are superior and even the County offices are uncrowded. In fact, everywhere you go is uncrowded. It's family-oriented and people actually know their neighbors. It's a "natural" community as opposed to a "planned" community. But I agree with Kaz, it could use an update, and is not as pretty as it could be. But it has more personality than PR or SR. And very few onerous neighborhood regulations, which can be good or not so good. City growth limits and open-space preservation laws are in place. Simi is OK, but I prefer Thousand Oaks, actually.
The sales tax is good to know for occasional big box purchases but I'm not too concerned about pennies for everyday purchases. It wouldn't effect where I would live.

Thousand Oaks is really nice but a little too remote from most job centers in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles