Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 PM

123 posts, read 146,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It would be the same exact thing, if you said you only visited Downtown and Buckhead. Everyone is giving you a hard time because you truly are basing everything off a vacation you had in LA. Many people move to LA having done much more research/visiting than you have and still end up shocked when they learn certain things. That's why many people move to LA just to leave a few years down the line.

Everyone here is just trying to give you advice so that you can think this through, but you see it as negative comments and not helpful ones.

No, but the areas you visited aren't even close to representing LA as a whole. Just like Lower Manhattan and Tribeca don't cover what Manhattan is really like.
Mountain views, Ocean, Weather, totally different scenery from the east coast. I was convinced before I even visited. The short visit just fueled my desire to move. I will be visiting again soon to explore more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:24 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
You must be out of mind. Even the sloppiest suburb of Paris looks much nicer, cleaner and safer then East LA.
You clearly haven't been there. Google is your friend, FYI.

Quote:
Plus what's up with the racism? With all the Hispanics around LA you should really hate it here. Unless you're one of them.
Racism? The hell are you talking about? Islam isn't a race and the problem with unsafe, disgusting Muslim slums in Paris, (over)populated by unemployed immigrants is a fact. They can't find work so they're relegated to small pockets of the city.

Quote:
But anyways, I can see you are in this to antagonize everyone so I'm not going to go there.
I guess you're unfamiliar with the concept of irony.

Last edited by MordinSolus; 10-24-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,794 times
You are right, it is lovely .. so come on down. Just be prepared that it is definitely more expensive to live in So. California, but you can live in a nice part of the Valley and easily access all other parts of L. A. and beyond, the Pacific Ocean. Also, you likely know that there is warm weather most ot the year, HOT summers, less rain - and the drought that you must have heard of. (At least the heat is not as bad as some states, with no humidity, but the heat gets old).

Overall, it is very nice and yes, has a range of vicinities. Of course there are some less-desired areas, but all large cities have them. One thing, being culturally diverse, there is an openness and most do not have the hangups they do in some parts of the country, people being generally open and friendly. I've seen superficiality and negative aspects mentioned... but there can be odd personalities or bad work environments anywhere. Except for some years in Northern CA, I have been here my entire life and it has been comfortable with a lot to see and do.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:15 PM

749 posts, read 855,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You clearly haven't been there. Google is your friend, FYI.

Racism? The hell are you talking about? Islam isn't a race and the problem with unsafe, disgusting Muslim slums in Paris, (over)populated by unemployed immigrants is a fact. They can't find work so they're relegated to small pockets of the city.

I guess you're unfamiliar with the concept of irony.

Dude, I was born and raised in Paris so I think I know the problem a "little" better than both you and google combined. And I don't even like Paris, so I can't be accused of being biased.

This is Clichy-Sous-Bois, a typical neighborhood labeled as ghetto largely populated by Arab and Black Muslims

Now here is is East LA with its always so exquisite ethnic murals painted by some of the most talented artists in town. Looks totally different from towns one can find south of the border.

Last edited by seixal; 10-24-2015 at 11:24 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 11:24 PM

And also a picture of local residents, that unlike Muslims (Arabs, is that the word you were looking for?) are all nice, welcoming, hard working (literally), outstanding citizen who only came to fulfill their American and better themselves. They really make living hom(el)ie.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Dude, I was born and raised in Paris so I think I know the problem a "little" better than both you and google combined.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to call BS. This is a Parisian slum:

As is this:

Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to call BS. This is a Parisian slum:

As is this:

You put 2 pictures of the same place, was it difficult to find? Those are gypsy camps people who due to their tradition stay out of society, they fit 100 people if that. East LA alone houses 150,000 people, not to mention Campton, Long Beach, Inglewood and pretty all of South Central LA.
Also the LA county with a population of 3.9 millions had 556 murders in 2014 when France with 60 million inhabitants had 839. With equal population, if you do the math LA would have 8,385 murders a year. I really wonder what place is safer.

On a final note because I don't want to hijack to threat, OP this is the kind of environment your kids will live around if you move here. Not to say that all place here are bad, but it's definitely something to keep in mind, IMO

Old 10-24-2015, 11:46 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
I thought we were comparing barrio to barrio. That's utterly destitute for Paris. The point is working class areas to working class areas. Paris wins each time. What you just posted was Skid Row Paris.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Those are gypsy camps people who due to their tradition stay out of society, they fit 100 people if that. East LA alone houses 150,000 people, not to mention Campon, Long Beach, Inglewood and pretty all of South Central LA.
Also the LA county with a population of 3.9 millions had 556 murders in 2014 when France with 60 million inhabitants had 839. With equal population, if you do the math LA would have 8,385 murders a year. I really wonder what place is safer.
Right, so permanent shanty towns inside Paris are no big deal but Long Beach is a disgusting slum?
I was obviously right to call BS on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I thought we were comparing barrio to barrio. That's utterly destitute for Paris. The point is working class areas to working class areas. Paris wins each time. What you just posted was Skid Row Paris.
Alright. France has over 150 "no-go zones," mostly in and around Paris, where public housing areas formerly occupied by the working class have become so crime-ridden and unmanageable the government has essentially left them to wallow and advises citizens not to go near them. You can google it and see for yourself. Seixal won't, since he's a troll, but you can.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:09 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Right, so permanent shanty towns inside Paris are no big deal but Long Beach is a disgusting slum?
I was obviously right to call BS on you.

Alright. France has over 150 "no-go zones," mostly in and around Paris, where public housing areas formerly occupied by the working class have become so crime-ridden and unmanageable the government has essentially left them to wallow and advises citizens not to go near them. You can google it and see for yourself. Seixal won't, since he's a troll, but you can.
I understand your point. Paris does have slums and they can be bad but we are mostly talking immigrant issues that blight the city. It's not indicative of the whole working class of Paris. There is no way all working class people in Paris are immigrants. I think those areas as still pockets vs whole swathes of Los Angeles which are working class poor areas. I'm not saying these areas are all dangerous and detestable. Just that for what people expect out of the United States it can be shocking for both a western European tourist and a middle American to see that level of working class poverty in the US. I'm not saying that these barrios or the hoods in south LA are utterly despicable places. I like going to east LA and parts of Compton sometimes. But my point is that people don't expect to see this in contrast to the upscale beautiful areas in West LA. They don't expect huge disparities like this in the wealthiest nation in the world.
For instance Moscow has way more of an obvious disparity than Paris but probably doesn't have these no go zones with strong poorly managed immigrant issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles