Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:44 PM

15 posts, read 22,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
What? This is not true at all. The entire state of California doesn't stay in a sunshine limbo state for the entire year. The state goes on for miles and miles; we have pretty much everything from snowy areas to the desert(s). It snows here, we have trees where their leaves change colors, and it gets warm here as well. We have seasons. To say we don't just doesn't make sense, especially considering how geographically diverse California is. I won't even get into the culture that exists in the different parts of this huge state. I'll just say culture does exist.

How long have you lived in California, and which cities have you lived in? I find it interesting you say all of California lacks seasons and has no culture. Based on that statement, you're either generalizing, getting these beliefs from absolutely nowhere, or you've legit been through the majority of the state and have lived in multiple cities between Northern and Southern California.
I agree. Maybe I should've worded it differently. Not generalizing California at all, relax. I'm aware of how large this state is, and I haven't been to North California yet. So I shouldn't say the entire state, but from what I am used to, the seasons and culture is very different, and to me it lacks certain things from back home, BUT I still love it here. What I said was a personal view. Not everyone may feel the same, and that is the point I am trying to make. It was intended to state that wherever you go, It's not going to be perfect, but It will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I say get some tangible skills, save a lot of dough, and do your research. Not to mention at least try to secure a job. And this is negative advice to you?
I said the same thing. Of course that isn't negative advice.

Quote:
Some of these transplants get stuck in a cycle they can't get out of because they've forced themselves into the mindset that they cannot leave. I've seen this and it's utterly sad. So do not act like it doesn't affect other people. It can. It does.
I agree. Never said this couldn't happen. The evidence is sleeping on the sidewalk. But, I know a lot of people who've made a move, and are managing well. It wasn't great in the beginning, but I think that goes for anywhere you move. I have a friend who moved to South Carolina, one of the cheapest places to live, yet it's twice as hard for her to find a job that isn't minimum wage, and she has her masters. But just because it's cheaper and comfortable in South Carolina doesn't mean that things will be a breeze just because it's financially a better place to live. People will face challenges wherever they go, not just in CA. I also know people who moved here from NY, only to move back home because it was too much to handle. Not everyone get's stuck in a cycle, but I won't say it doesn't happen either.

Quote:
But you brought up a REALLY interesting point that I knew was the underlying reason why people move out here on a risky whim; it's not about California. Like you said it isn't always about CA. It's about running away.

Now do you want to write another post that will continue to miss my entire point? Because I never said don't move here just that I don't advocate for someone to move here on a whim with the little amount of preparation you and the OP advocate. You say what's it to me but I think that level of delusion your pitching is destructive to people who don't analyze the situation clearly to carefully plan out a realistic move. You just blow me off as being "negative" because it doesn't coddle the delusion that you can easily make it here with next to nothing if you just dream and stay positive.
Well, everyone has their opinion. If you feel it's about running away, then that's how you feel. Still, it has nothing to do with you. I guess we can all assume that anyone who moves to another state, are running away. So be it.

I also mentioned that those inquiring on moving should have money saved and a Job aligned. I never once said they shouldn't. I agree that it is do-able. I think you're the one who's missing the point. I believe that anyone who is considering moving anywhere should definitely have a thorough plan and financial back up. This differs for everyone, so yes, everyone's level of being prepared will be different. And I didn't say anything about dreaming and staying positive, I said do what you want to do and what you feel is best for you, because I know people who only took in the negative aspects of a choice and regret never taking a chance. I think some things you say are true. But your initial post completely threw the nature of OP's post way off track.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
your advice isnt negative. Your attitude is.

Accurate.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:20 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxayLvr View Post
I said the same thing. Of course that isn't negative advice.

I agree. Never said this couldn't happen. The evidence is sleeping on the sidewalk. But, I know a lot of people who've made a move, and are managing well. It wasn't great in the beginning, but I think that goes for anywhere you move. I have a friend who moved to South Carolina, one of the cheapest places to live, yet it's twice as hard for her to find a job that isn't minimum wage, and she has her masters. But just because it's cheaper and comfortable in South Carolina doesn't mean that things will be a breeze just because it's financially a better place to live. People will face challenges wherever they go, not just in CA. I also know people who moved here from NY, only to move back home because it was too much to handle. Not everyone get's stuck in a cycle, but I won't say it doesn't happen either.

Well, everyone has their opinion. If you feel it's about running away, then that's how you feel. Still, it has nothing to do with you. I guess we can all assume that anyone who moves to another state, are running away. So be it.

I also mentioned that those inquiring on moving should have money saved and a Job aligned. I never once said they shouldn't. I agree that it is do-able. I think you're the one who's missing the point. I believe that anyone who is considering moving anywhere should definitely have a thorough plan and financial back up. This differs for everyone, so yes, everyone's level of being prepared will be different. And I didn't say anything about dreaming and staying positive, I said do what you want to do and what you feel is best for you, because I know people who only took in the negative aspects of a choice and regret never taking a chance. I think some things you say are true. But your initial post completely threw the nature of OP's post way off track.
No we are not saying the same thing because you empathically supported the OPs post which has reckless advice about coming to LA on 5k and scrounging around subsisting on cheap eats and showering in gyms in between apartments. So we have vastly different ideas as to what it means to be prepared. You may be saying come with money, but how much? You may be saying come with a job lined up, but what job? These are the little differences that add up to a big deal that can make or break you.

And you keep asking what's it to me? Well, maybe I would hate to see people suffer when they could've easily spent that extra year planning a better move. But you seem like the type that really champions someone's subjective feelings over the objective reality that LA is a high cost bad job market city. You also highlight your own anecdotal evidence of friends who've made it but forget that regardless if someone can make it it doesn't change the fact, the grim reality that this LA is still a tough city and the odds of failure are greater. Someone not making it in South Carolina is spurious, Detroit is lower cost than LA but I'd bet I'd have a harder time there due to the job situation, yet that doesn't change a single thing about what I've said about LA. The probability of fairing better in low cost city with a more vibrant job market is still higher. All I'm asking is for people to do the math. What you advocate is for people to just take the plunge and hope for the best and stay positive or whatnot. Any mention to the contrary is negative or a bad attitude? Please get off the high horse.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:24 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Just do your homework including the costs of housing as well as staples such as gasoline and grocery prices before moving out here on a whim, which is not a good idea.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
OP posted a great post, which was intended to be on a positive note, and it was. Immediately after you brought negativity. I think what OP posted is 100% true for most who move to California for whatever reason they feel is satisfying to them. It was a way to give hope and quality advice to those who may come across many "negative" advice as yours, and automatically shy away. It was for the ones who may not have seen the positive aspects of moving to California, or moving out of their home state entirely. It's not always about California, and that's what a lot of you negative nancy's fail to realize. I'm sorry that I have to refer to you as such, but that is absolutely what you come across as. Okay, well what about people who move from CA to NY? If they hit someone from NY and aren't registered there, is it the fault or problem of anyone who resides in NY? No it is not. Do you think anyone from NY will give a damn? Hell no. These are things that occur naturally in everyday life, and things you cannot control. It is not uncommon for people to move to another state they desire to be in. If God forbid they're in an accident, that is THEIR problem, not yours.

In my case, I'm not looking for a void to fill. But if I want to move to Hawaii, I'm going to move there. If I want to move to California, I'm going to effing move there (and I did). It has nothing to do with filling a void, and it has nothing to do with you, is my point. It's about doing what and individual want's to do, and feel is necessary for themselves. You won't understand because maybe you've never felt that way, or maybe you do and you're not following your intuition, which explains a lot. You don't know what people desire to do with their lives, and If they desire to move someplace to scoop dog poop, that is their business!

And you're right, not amount of sunshine will fix anything. I realize that California lacks a lot of things from the east coast, such as Seasons and Culture. Of course I miss the fall season and the holidays back home, but still, I am happy where I am. This may not be the same for you, as it may not be the same for someone else wanting to move here, who may not even miss home and feel that California is the place to be 100%. That is not up to you to determine. That's why I vouche that those who want to do it, should. It is better to know and find out and move back home, than it is to never do it and regret it later in life.
Huh? Thanks for the laugh, CA and LA is steeped in culture.

As far as seasons, I was up in the mountains last week about 80 miles northeast of LA(and 20 degrees cooler), you would have thought you were in New England all most, the leaves were not quite turning but getting ready to, oak trees, apple orchards, wildlife. That's the beauty of CA, and LA, you don't have to go very far to get a totally different climate and culture within a few hours or less.

It really sounds like you have done little to no exploring and are making very broad statements.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,578 times
Quote:
I agree. Maybe I should've worded it differently. Not generalizing California at all, relax. I'm aware of how large this state is, and I haven't been to North California yet. So I shouldn't say the entire state, but from what I am used to, the seasons and culture is very different, and to me it lacks certain things from back home, BUT I still love it here. What I said was a personal view. Not everyone may feel the same, and that is the point I am trying to make. It was intended to state that wherever you go, It's not going to be perfect, but It will be worth it.
Since we have you here on this thread, as an east coast transplant, can you please define what this culture is? We would loooove to here it.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:28 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Huh? Thanks for the laugh, CA and LA is steeped in culture.

As far as seasons, I was up in the mountains last week about 80 miles northeast of LA(and 20 degrees cooler), you would have thought you were in New England all most, the leaves were not quite turning but getting ready to, oak trees, apple orchards, wildlife. That's the beauty of CA, and LA, you don't have to go very far to get a totally different climate and culture within a few hours or less.

It really sounds like you have done little to no exploring and are making very broad statements.

Actually I've been in whiteout snow storm 30 miles from LA in the Angeles forest and gone home to 70 degree weather the same day. And growing up in New England I can say I see more wildlife in Glendale than I did there. Rarely doea a morning bike ride go by when I dont see several deer and coyotes. Ive also seen a few bobcats anf prerty sure I saw a mountain lion during a night hike. But there are certainly mountain lions and bears in the city

Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
That's what makes LA the best city in the country. It's literally a beautiful mix of rural and mega-urban. I get my nature/country kick as well as my urban appeal.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No we are not saying the same thing because you empathically supported the OPs post which has reckless advice about coming to LA on 5k and scrounging around subsisting on cheap eats and showering in gyms in between apartments. So we have vastly different ideas as to what it means to be prepared. You may be saying come with money, but how much? You may be saying come with a job lined up, but what job? These are the little differences that add up to a big deal that can make or break you.

And you keep asking what's it to me? Well, maybe I would hate to see people suffer when they could've easily spent that extra year planning a better move. But you seem like the type that really champions someone's subjective feelings over the objective reality that LA is a high cost bad job market city. You also highlight your own anecdotal evidence of friends who've made it but forget that regardless if someone can make it it doesn't change the fact, the grim reality that this LA is still a tough city and the odds of failure are greater. Someone not making it in South Carolina is spurious, Detroit is lower cost than LA but I'd bet I'd have a harder time there due to the job situation, yet that doesn't change a single thing about what I've said about LA. The probability of fairing better in low cost city with a more vibrant job market is still higher. All I'm asking is for people to do the math. What you advocate is for people to just take the plunge and hope for the best and stay positive or whatnot. Any mention to the contrary is negative or a bad attitude? Please get off the high horse.

Lol, I don't want to argue. Reading is fundamental. You've obviously read nothing I said, and clearly you're more interested in spewing your nasty attitude rather than trying to understand. I get it, you just want to be right so bad. Take the crown and Carry along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles