Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're flat out wrong about there not being a lot of Mexicans in NYC, there are an estimated 500k which is the population of a mid sized city.

The other stuff is more open to interpretation, but I stand by what I said.
The Mexican population in New York is not diverse though, I believe most are from Puebla and Oaxaca.
My cousin/friends from SoCal who have moved there get REALLY tired of people being constany surprised that they are Mexican.

Related to the topic on hand though, this cousin who moved to New York is engaged to a Jamaican. That is the 2nd Jamaican-Mexican marriage in our family, so I think the Black-Latino dynamic in LA is complex. Both of these cousins grew up in LA.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 AM

387 posts, read 355,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
The Mexican population in New York is not diverse though, I believe most are from Puebla and Oaxaca.
My cousin/friends from SoCal who have moved there get REALLY tired of people being constany surprised that they are Mexican.

Related to the topic on hand though, this cousin who moved to New York is engaged to a Jamaican. That is the 2nd Jamaican-Mexican marriage in our family, so I think the Black-Latino dynamic in LA is complex. Both of these cousins grew up in LA.
The Mexicans in NYC (and the East Coast in general) look alot different than the Mexicans in California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico etc etc

I have lived on both coasts so I have seen it first hand...

I have seen a few "West Coast" looking Mexicans on the East Coast, but much more common is the really short almost Guatemalan looking Mexican from the Southern parts of Mexico.....

Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
As a black male living in Los Angeles I can say I get along with everybody.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
The Mexicans in NYC (and the East Coast in general) look alot different than the Mexicans in California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico etc etc

I have seen a few "West Coast" looking Mexicans on the East Coast, but much more common is the really short almost Guatemalan looking Mexican from the Southern parts of Mexico.....
You have different groups of Mexicans though in NYC. You do have Mexicans or Mexican Americans to come to NYC to study, do business, or go out for professional jobs, and they are a different demographic than say a poor person from areas like Puebla who come to NYC to do whatever work. But even among the working class Mexicans, they don't all look the same and you have different demographics and these patterns are different according to which neighborhoods. I've noticed in Queens and NJ, in heavily Latino areas I see lots of "West Coast" looking Mexicans. The Mexicans who move to Upper Manhattan and the Bronx I see a lot more of the ones you called short and Guatemalan looking.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:42 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post

NYC's Mexican population is mostly from Puebla, Mexico City, and Oaxaca, probably in that order. But not everyone from Puebla looks the same, some are Mestizo looking but most do lean toward indigenous.

So yes most Mexicans in NYC are indigenous looking, but not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You have different groups of Mexicans though in NYC. You do have Mexicans or Mexican Americans to come to NYC to study, do business, or go out for professional jobs, and they are a different demographic than say a poor person from areas like Puebla who come to NYC to do whatever work. But even among the working class Mexicans, they don't all look the same and you have different demographics and these patterns are different according to which neighborhoods. I've noticed in Queens and NJ, in heavily Latino areas I see lots of "West Coast" looking Mexicans. The Mexicans who move to Upper Manhattan and the Bronx I see a lot more of the ones you called short and Guatemalan looking.
Queens and NJ have a lot of mestizo Central Americans and South Americans, are you sure you're not mistaking them for Mexicans? I ask because the Mexican population in NY and NJ is pretty much all from the same parts of Mexico.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:54 PM

216 posts, read 200,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
I'm not so sure since I don't live in LA. What I do know is that we can't base race relations between black people and other races off of how many black guys you see in interracial relationships. As a black guy myself, I 'll tell you that some guys in my ethnic group will date/marry other groups in spite of how bad race relations are. They lack the ethnic pride most people have and only care about their own personal gratification. They think there's no racism or discrimination directed towards black people because they were able to find a non-black woman who was willing to date them. These guys have low self-esteem and feel validated when they date a white/hispanic woman.
I don't know where you live but in LA I don't think most people are bothered by interracial dating or marriage. There are so many mixed race people in this town. I know folks of Afro-Mexican, Asian-Mexican, Anglo-Mexican, Afro-Asian, Anglo-Persian, Armenian-Latino, Jewish-Latino, Jewish - Afro, Afro-Persian, etc, etc., ethnic mix. In LA it's almost considered cool to date outside your ethnic or racial group. And it's just not black men dating outside their race, there's plenty of back women doing the same.

There's a very liberal vibe in LA and pretty much most of California when it comes to race and ethnicity. I'm not saying most people agree or like interracial or inter ethnic dating/marriage, but the vast majority do.

African-Americans are a small minority in California. Latino's, at 38% of the states population are the largest ethnic group in the state followed by Asians at about 15% of the population. African-American come in at about 8%. Which means the state of California has a minority majority.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC's Mexican population is mostly from Puebla, Mexico City, and Oaxaca, probably in that order. But not everyone from Puebla looks the same, some are Mestizo looking but most do lean toward indigenous.

So yes most Mexicans in NYC are indigenous looking, but not all.

Queens and NJ have a lot of mestizo Central Americans and South Americans, are you sure you're not mistaking them for Mexicans? I ask because the Mexican population in NY and NJ is pretty much all from the same parts of Mexico.
"West Coast looking Mexicans" What kind of statement is that !!! Being from the West Coast and being Mexican-American, I'm not quite sure how to take that. What exactly does a West coast looking Mexican look like? What is it with folks from the east coast who call themselves liberal that makes them so ill informed and bias toward west coast ethnic groups. I have to imagine you're very influenced by what you see coming out of the east coast controlled media like CNN, MSNBC, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. They don't have a clue.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayettemiss. View Post
That person probably means what the typical Mexican looks like out west...
And that's exactly what I was asking. What does the typical Mexican look like? Would you consider actor Anthony Quin a typical Mexican. How about Comedian Louis C.K. or Dallas quarterback Tony Romo. What about pop stars Salena Gomez and Demi Lovato. Are they typical looking Mexicans. Actress' Salma Hayek, Eva longoria, singer Vicki Carr, actress and superwoman Lynda Carter, Ambassador John Gavin, boxer Oscar De La Hoya, dog whisperer Cesar Milan, Oscar winning Director Alejandro Inarritu, comedian George Lopez, Hall of Fame baseball player Ted Williams. I could go on and on. So if all of the aforementioned folks are Mexicans, what does the typical Mexican "out west" look like.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:34 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
I don't know where you live but in LA I don't think most people are bothered by interracial dating or marriage. There are so many mixed race people in this town. I know folks of Afro-Mexican, Asian-Mexican, Anglo-Mexican, Afro-Asian, Anglo-Persian, Armenian-Latino, Jewish-Latino, Jewish - Afro, Afro-Persian, etc, etc., ethnic mix. In LA it's almost considered cool to date outside your ethnic or racial group. And it's just not black men dating outside their race, there's plenty of back women doing the same.

There's a very liberal vibe in LA and pretty much most of California when it comes to race and ethnicity. I'm not saying most people agree or like interracial or inter ethnic dating/marriage, but the vast majority do.

African-Americans are a small minority in California. Latino's, at 38% of the states population are the largest ethnic group in the state followed by Asians at about 15% of the population. African-American come in at about 8%. Which means the state of California has a minority majority.
I've found that, while many people in LA will date outside of their race / ethnicity (sometimes exclusively), many tend to settle with someone of the same race / ethnicity, i.e., whites marry whites, blacks marry blacks, Asians marry Asians, Latinos marry Latinos, etc.

This is particularly noticeable among Anglo whites, Middle Easterners (i.e., Jews, Persians, Greeks, Lebanese, Armenians, etc.) and Asian Indians.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:49 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,392,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I've found that, while many people in LA will date outside of their race / ethnicity (sometimes exclusively), many tend to settle with someone of the same race / ethnicity, i.e., whites marry whites, blacks marry blacks, Asians marry Asians, Latinos marry Latinos, etc.

This is particularly noticeable among Anglo whites, Middle Easterners (i.e., Jews, Persians, Greeks, Lebanese, Armenians, etc.) and Asian Indians.
How have you found that to be true? Sounds like anecdotal evidence.

Pew Research ranked California in the top ten for states with the highest percentage of interracial marriages.

And the States with the Highest Interracial Marriages Are... - Beyond Black & White
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles