Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I haven't been looking at this thread.

A lot of things you say just don't make sense, hence my suspicions.

Off topic, how come you don't capitalize the first letters of your beginning sentences?
lol.. make lil sense to you.

auto-correct not working..

Old 10-28-2015, 11:34 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
I wonder how blacks get along with others in west SF valley, apart from Canoga Park?

Old 10-29-2015, 07:03 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
I would say Whits, Latinos, then Asians.

Whites in LA are mostly liberal. And while not perfect, most have black friends or at the very least would be excited at the prospect of mingling with black people.

Latinos is a mixed bag. Latin culture is actually veryvery racist. Probably even more so than America. They treat their own dark people, the natives, really bad. Many hate blacks. Heck tell a person from Mexico that they are Puerto Rican or worse, Dominican. For some, those are fighting words.

Asians treat blacks the worst by far. Minus Punjab, South East Asians, and Filipinos-who treat blacks well. But the others...yikes. I'm not sure what the deal is. Like are they trying to gain favor with whites by treating blacks bad? Or do they really hate blacks that much?

Old 10-29-2015, 07:17 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

Whites in LA are mostly liberal. And while not perfect, most have black friends or at the very least would be excited at the prospect of mingling with black people.

Latinos is a mixed bag. Latin culture is actually veryvery racist. Probably even more so than America. They treat their own dark people, the natives, really bad. Many hate blacks. Heck tell a person from Mexico that they are Puerto Rican or worse, Dominican. For some, those are fighting words.

Asians treat blacks the worst by far. Minus Punjab, South East Asians, and Filipinos-who treat blacks well. But the others...yikes. I'm not sure what the deal is. Like are they trying to gain favor with whites by treating blacks bad? Or do they really hate blacks that much?
Or perhaps they carry their own racial/ethnic supremacist attitudes and the generally lighter skin toned whites are thus superior to darker peoples while still being an inferior to them. Sort of like Asians had an almost honorary white status in Eurosupremist.

Way back in the 70s I remember an interview with Rosalind Chao of AfterMASH and later Star Trek saying that she would probably marry an Asian or a White guy. Now "White guy" could have been just general code for not Asian but then you would hear from less public folk that they could not bring a Black man home.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:42 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

A lot of other races are certainly desperate for white validation.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:20 PM

71 posts, read 111,747 times
an example of a more commonality and natural bonding in relationships between black and white is being in an area which is predominately Hispanic and with only a sprinkling of blacks here and there, yet there is hardly any Hispanic/white interracial couples and black/white interracial couples still outnumber the Hispanic/white ones.. Newport beach is a good example of this.. okay, Newport beach is mostly white and not Hispanic.. but other areas where there are certainly hispanic majority and black doesn't even make up 1% of the demographic.. its almost always black men with white women though.. so like the other poster stated, its mostly black guys that 'get along with other races'.. you can pretty much gauge that some white women must have seeked black men out when they are by far in the minority..

Old 10-29-2015, 05:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Armenians

Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Wow, some of y'all sound............comical.

Being Black, I would say that it's a mixture, and it also depends on age.

The only Blacks and Mexicans who have been known to feud are the 14-25 year old gang members, and that's usually more because of the gangs and not due to race, although the media tried to spin it as Black vs Mexican. I remember that e-mail that came out in 2004 that said "On Cinco De Mayo, Mexicans will be driving around L.A. murdering ALL Black men who have on white tee shirts." I have zero idea who created that nonsense, but folks were scared.

As far as Blacks and Whites go, overall, we got along, but it's a lot of unspoken tension in some ways. Whether it's in the corporate world, dealing with police, or predominately White neighborhoods that end up having new Black neighbors. Compared to being in the South, I notice that L.A. Whites may not outwardly call us the N-word, or verbally threaten us as much...but there's a lot of suspicious looks they give us, especially when it's older Whites dealing with younger Blacks.

With Koreans, there's a comical type of tension that exists at Beauty Supply stores and Swap Meets, which tend to be dominated by Koreans. It's a cycle of disrespect as well. When I was younger, they would follow me and my friend around so much, that we would purposely go in and walk fast through each aisle just to frustrate them and laugh at their reaction. But of course, it gets serious, which is how the Latasha Harlins incident occurred.

In High School, the Blacks surely got along with most of the Japanese and Filipinos who were in school with us, which was mainly in the South Bay. A lot of them shared a similar culture, and it even shows on shows like "Fresh off the boat."

Overall, L.A. is extremely diverse, and most folks get along with those who get along with them. There's more classism than anything else...meaning, rich White people will have way more rich Black friends than poor or Middle-Class White friends. It's a bit similar for Blacks, but it's two sides. The Baldwin Hills/Ladera type Blacks tend to have more friends at all levels, while the Blacks who may live in Beverly Hills, Calabasas, or even Palos Verdes will tend to have more White friends than Middle/Lower class Black friends.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Armenians
So very many people have problems with them.

Last edited by owl6969; 10-29-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 07:30 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
Most Blacks hang out/date/marry/ befriend other blacks. This is not by any means an AA specificity, each and every community tends to go for their own kind when it comes to socializing. Just have a look around at groups of friends, neighborhoods and couples, they are nearly always ethnically consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles