Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,306 times

Advertisements

On average...

1. Whites
2. Mexicans/Central Americans
3. SE Asians/Pacific Islanders(Filipinos, Cambodians, Samoans)
4. NE Asians(Chinese, Japanese, Korean)

I'm from the East Coast and this question has always intrigued me. I heard Group #3 had a great relationship with blacks in the streets like Long Beach and Carson whereas White and Black relations in the suburbs/valley are pretty decent. I also heard that Black/Mexican and Black/Korean relations were bad due to documentaries and news articles I got exposed to.

But you guys are the experts so could you let me know based on your anecdotal experience cause I love learning about race relations throughout the country. Thank you.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:31 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
None, they mostly keep to themselves. On the flipside the number one killer of young black men, is other young black men.

For all the crying black people do about "black lives matter", they sure don't seem to matter to themselves.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 PM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
None, they mostly keep to themselves. On the flipside the number one killer of young black men, is other young black men.

For all the crying black people do about "black lives matter", they sure don't seem to matter to themselves.
I do think "Black lives matter" has become too aggressive. HOWEVER, "black live matter" isn;t about whites murdering blacks, so you're point is null. Its about that as well as racial profiling and inequality and about black on black murder, its about blacks living a lower quality of life in general. Also, "Black lives matter" does not speak for every black person.

I feel like Blacks do for the most part stay within their communities more than other ethnicities. Neighborhoods do exist that have quite a few hispanics/blacks or whites/blacks. Much fewer Asian/Black neighborhoods.

Overall its most likely Hispanics. There is historic beef between the two, but most live together harmonious.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
On average...

1. Whites
2. Mexicans/Central Americans
3. SE Asians/Pacific Islanders(Filipinos, Cambodians, Samoans)
4. NE Asians(Chinese, Japanese, Korean)

I'm from the East Coast and this question has always intrigued me. I heard Group #3 had a great relationship with blacks in the streets like Long Beach and Carson whereas White and Black relations in the suburbs/valley are pretty decent. I also heard that Black/Mexican and Black/Korean relations were bad due to documentaries and news articles I got exposed to.

But you guys are the experts so could you let me know based on your anecdotal experience cause I love learning about race relations throughout the country. Thank you.
I would not include Chinese and especially not Japanese with Koreans due to the timing of the greatest immigration waves. It was not a racial thing but how close tied the community is/was with the Japanese and multi generational Chinese American just as likely to intermarry with any Asian group as they are their own. The Japanese Americans, many of whom were interned during WWII was the stay behind community with Blacks when the White population fled Southwest LA it was only in the 80s when they started to retire that the Japanese gardener was being replaced by the Latino gardener.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:23 PM

337 posts, read 405,673 times
There are a lot of Blaxican babies in L A nowadays so I would say Black/ Mexican.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 PM

71 posts, read 111,678 times
Ironically, I think black people have better relationships with whites than all those other groups you listed.. Part of it is due to lesser cultural and language barriers between black and white compared with other groups.. They practically came to this country on the same boat.. What groups of people do you see dominate mainstream media here in America? Black and white.. I'm not going by any statistics, but by experience, it is also more common to find black and white interracial couples in southern Cali..

Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeshift View Post
Ironically, I think black people have better relationships with whites than all those other groups you listed.. Part of it is due to lesser cultural and language barriers between black and white compared with other groups.. They practically came to this country on the same boat.. What groups of people do you see dominate mainstream media here in America? Black and white.. I'm not going by any statistics, but by experience, it is also more common to find black and white interracial couples in southern Cali..
Where are you finding all these black and white interracial couples?

Thats if they've been here way back then.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:55 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Where are you finding all these black and white interracial couples?

Thats if they've been here way back then.
Why does it always sound like you don't know what your talking about.

How long have you been living in Los Angeles?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I think it's difficult to say for sure as individuals within certain groups might not get along with others for whatever reason.
what I can say from my experience is the number of blacks in Los Angeles seems to have gone down, while Hispanics have become more visible .
You do hear less about black vs Hispanic strife in certain areas these days it seems. When I was growing up in la there seemed to be more tensions .

I've also seen the black population being more visible in areas were they weren't very visible before as well.
I don't have the data to back it up right now but I'm thinking that blacks have followed a similar path in a way as whites .

Poorer blacks likely have moved out of LA as have poorer whites . Either to further out suburbs of SoCal or out of state altogether.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:42 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
How long have you been living in Los Angeles?
I'm convinced he's never lived here.

Back on topic, I'm a Black Angeleno, and I've personally never noticed intense tension between another ethnic group and Blacks. It may have been more obvious in the early 90's, but not anymore, at least I don't think so. I will say the most common couplings I see are Blacks & Whites, Blacks & Filipinos, and Blacks & Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles