Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM

11 posts, read 16,648 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I know Yelp is not everything. And not necessarily gay. Either that or gay-friendly. But, yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:47 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charyph View Post
IM90046 - Thanks, I already checked them out. Their office staff gets really bad marks on Yelp.
Don't put your faith in Yelp. In my experience most harshly negative reviews are grossly exaggerated nonsense. People will perceive a bit of rudeness from their waitress and then write a review saying the waitstaff ignored them, and the food was terrible after taking an hour to arrive, and the bill was inflated, etc. I remember reading a 1-star review for a restaurant that said a waiter "imperceptibly rolled his eyes."
Pathetic people need an outlet and Yelp seems to be that outlet for a lot of people.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:48 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
That Sunset and Doheny practice is the most well known place that specializes in gay men's health.

Still not sure why you think gay men have different health problems than straight men.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:52 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:
IM90046 - Thanks, I already checked them out. Their office staff gets really bad marks on Yelp.
I wouldn't rely on Yelp to judge some place - whether it'd be a restaurant or a doctor. I took my car to a mechanic that was highly rated on Yelp. It was the worst place I've ever been to and I was ripped off big time. I've been to restaurants that were highly rated on Yelp and to me they were "meh". I've also been to veterinarians that were "meh" rated on Yelp and my pets received the best quality care I could possibly ask for. Same goes for restaurants and even a doctor I had where I used to live. The doctor I used to go to had 3 stars on Yelp. I'd give her more than that.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:29 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Dr. Jay Gladstein in west Hollywood.
I think he is affiliated with Cedars.
Goggle him.

Bob.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
That Sunset and Doheny practice is the most well known place that specializes in gay men's health.

Still not sure why you think gay men have different health problems than straight men.
I too am curious of these different health problems gay men have.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:59 AM

280 posts, read 325,943 times
Some people are really difficult under the best circumstances, those people LOVE Yelp.

You've received a really good personal recommendation on a doctor, but you are relying on Yelp to counter it...think about that for a moment.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 AM

11 posts, read 16,648 times
First off, thanks for the responses.

MordinSolus and SageCats, tcmtcm - I know all about the Yelpers. I'm not putting all of my trust just in Yelp, but I take it into considseration, with a grain of salt.

disgruntled la native and Mr_Geek - I'll look into it more. As for you not understanding... It's not that gay men have different health problems. Gay men have specific concerns that only another gay man or someone that has extensive experience with gay men's health would know or understand. It's analogous to women preferring female gynecologists. There is usually a comfort level there that they don't have with male gynecologists, and a woman can much more easily relate to another woman, because they have the same physiology and the same understanding of their biology. If it still doesn't make sense, then I'm sorry but I can't help you.

CALGUY - Thanks, I already bookmarked him.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
First off, thanks for the responses.

MordinSolus and SageCats, tcmtcm - I know all about the Yelpers. I'm not putting all of my trust just in Yelp, but I take it into considseration, with a grain of salt.

disgruntled la native and Mr_Geek - I'll look into it more. As for you not understanding... It's not that gay men have different health problems. Gay men have specific concerns that only another gay man or someone that has extensive experience with gay men's health would know or understand. It's analogous to women preferring female gynecologists. There is usually a comfort level there that they don't have with male gynecologists, and a woman can much more easily relate to another woman, because they have the same physiology and the same understanding of their biology. If it still doesn't make sense, then I'm sorry but I can't help you.

CALGUY - Thanks, I already bookmarked him.
I guess, only if you are engaging in certain high risk sexual practices that straight men "typically" (but not always) wouldn't. But many gay men should have the exact same health situation as a comparable straight man.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Yes, I did. Yelp is no use in this regard and Healthgrades doesn't have a way to search for gay or gay-friendly doctors. The problem with Healthgrades is that a doctor can have a great rating there, but the clinic or office staff is not rated in detail. That's what happened. I found a couple of docs who are great, but then Yelp reviews of the clinic or staff are just horrendous.

Hence, my dilemma.
You don't even say where you live. If you're that picky(many times the office staff isn't great but the doctor can be). You're not going to want to do a long drive either.

I question if this is even a real inquiry, or are you just trying to stir the pot.

Because someone who lives in LA would start off stating what area they lived in. If you live in the Pasadena area you don't want recommendations for West LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles