Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:46 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times

Advertisements

You know, with a hairy back, I'd recommend she go for a waxing first. Treat her to that and a nice day at the spa! Great way to make your relationship better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:49 AM

280 posts, read 325,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Is it true that obese people stay indoors on SoCal and have hired help to run errands for them because its socially unacceptable to be overweight in any way and be out in public?
No.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM

8 posts, read 7,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Is it true that obese people stay indoors on SoCal and have hired help to run errands for them because its socially unacceptable to be overweight in any way and be out in public?
It's true.

That's why NY had Biggie Smalls and LA had Small-e Smalls (Tupac)

Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Weather_Man View Post
It's pretty rare to have a city that's constantly evolving and has a large economy, but also has access to hundreds of miles of beach. You'd normally have to choose between the two, but in LA you can have both.
I don't know if it's all that rare. Have you seen a map of the U.S.? Plenty of coastline. Lots of cities on or near beaches.

New York City has plenty of beaches, within city limits: Beaches : NYC Parks

Then there are the beaches just outside New York City. All along the Long Island and New Jersey coasts. When I was a kid, my parents often drove me to Jones Beach. Sometimes to Sunken Meadow.

I too don't understand this obsession with beaches. They were okay when I was a kid. But nothing special anymore.

Yes, the air quality is good in Santa Monica. But I don't need to walk on the sand for that.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:39 AM

8 posts, read 7,254 times
This beach thing...

If I said I was moving to the South of France and gave one of the reasons that there's nice beaches there, people wouldn't question it!

A beach/coastal lifestyle is a luxury thing. You don't have to have sand between your toes to appreciate a beach. It looks nice, the air smells good, the breeze is good. It's fresh. And it's a nice piece of nature to contrast the concrete of any city, just like the mountains you can see and the trees lining the streets.

It's easy on the eye if nothing else.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I was born in L.A , but have rarely been to the beach here. I mean like actually like be on the sand.
Most likely the same for most people in L.A even if they live near the beach. Have family and have worked/lived in South Florida..and the beach/water is much more part of the lifestyle there. It's less expensive and more accessible to live on the beach too..so that makes a big difference. It's not nearly impossible or very expensive to park near the beach like the beach in L.A also.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
If you ask me, the LA lifestyle is just as much of a mentality as it is a physical existence within LA county. No-one and nothing will alter your attitude. Not the beaches, the women, the food, the scenery, etc. Nothing. No matter how bright the sparkle of LA can be when you first step foot in the city, it can easily and instantly disappear after the honeymoon phase is over.

So is it easier to attain the "LA mentality" when within the physical bounds of LA? For sure, because many have adopted this mentality and it's contagious if you are paying attention.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:28 AM

590 posts, read 714,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I was born in L.A , but have rarely been to the beach here. I mean like actually like be on the sand.
Most likely the same for most people in L.A even if they live near the beach. Have family and have worked/lived in South Florida..and the beach/water is much more part of the lifestyle there. It's less expensive and more accessible to live on the beach too..so that makes a big difference. It's not nearly impossible or very expensive to park near the beach like the beach in L.A also.

You mean to tell me it costs money to park near the beach in LA? What a joke. I'd take my license plates off and put an envelope over my VIN # on the dash and park there anyways....

Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But it is a big factor in why people move to LA. And it's different if you were born in LA, but for the most part it's not worth paying the premium to live in LA if you aren't doing something like going to the beach.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
But it is a big factor in why people move to LA. And it's different if you were born in LA, but for the most part it's not worth paying the premium to live in LA if you aren't doing something like going to the beach.
Yeah I do agree. I'm sure the beach is a big factor ,especially since a lot of states don't really have nice beach year round, except for Florida.
Of course the entertainment industry and shows like Baywatch and others have made L.A beaches like Malibu world famous.
But, there are a ton of things to do in L.A even if you never go to the beach.
I think the South Bay (Redondo,Hermosa , Manhattan beaches) and Orange County feel more like beach towns than the L.A beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles