Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:43 AM

8,245 posts, read 6,302,733 times

Advertisements

The once great LA Times had been cutting staff for years and now their firing 82 experienced reporters and writers some are sort of famous.
Many who have been there a long time get a years pay.
No investigating reporting.
I’d kill myself before i ever gave that rag one penny and a lot of people feel the same way.
This so called paper is really a giant advertisement for liberals thats why I hate it but this is actually not good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 10:55 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,354,376 times
Wow, it took you an entire five sentences until you blamed the liberals. I am impressed.

If you are so smart, why don't you go out and start a newspaper business and see how "easy" it is to run one in the online age. A bit like trying to start a horse and buggy business in 1910.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:59 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,659,657 times
I heard this from my daughter this weekend. I have never buy the local papers, maybe they should write something that we can read. We already have CNN for news for that.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:21 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,899,406 times
The LA Times has turned into an El Nino fear-mongering fest.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,470,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The once great LA Times had been cutting staff for years and now their firing 82 experienced reporters and writers some are sort of famous.
Many who have been there a long time get a years pay.
No investigating reporting.
I’d kill myself before i ever gave that rag one penny and a lot of people feel the same way.
This so called paper is really a giant advertisement for liberals thats why I hate it but this is actually not good news.
It really was a better paper under the Chandlers.

I don't know why Tribune don't want to sell it and are even talking about making more acquisitions. Eli Broad is willing to buy it off them any time they're willing to sell, but they don't want to let it go.

L.A. will probably be the first big US city to be without a major daily paper.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:17 PM

4,498 posts, read 4,996,377 times
When the Chicago Tribune bought the LA Times, it was only a matter of time until its demise. The Tribune has gone so far downhill in the last 10-15 years it is only a ghost of the great newspaper it once was. It seems to be ruining everything it touches.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:18 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,581,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Wow, it took you an entire five sentences until you blamed the liberals. I am impressed.
It's not so much political spectrum, but that LA Times has been in bed with the LOs Angeles politics establishment for a couple decades.

Scandal after scandal has been broken by online bloggers, by the daily news, or basically anyone but the LA times

The last major la city scandal the times broke was the Rampart Scandal back in the late 90's. And even that was tainted a few years later when the writers...McGreevy and I forget the other guy....met with then INternal Affairs chief Berkow and agree not to slam LAPD in exchange for better access to info.

Whatever it is, LA times is worthless as a media outlet at this point and it's no surprise that even as the only large media outlet in Los Angeles, they continue a slide into oblivion.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:34 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,784,939 times
It's not the LA Times, it's newspapers. How many people do you see reading newspapers? There are a million free sources of news that give you instant news online. The concept of newspaper is antiquated and there is no money in it so they can't afford to pay writers.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:10 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,263,032 times
LA Times is okay for local coverage. The other stuff - awful. It's not even that liberal anymore. I'd say center left at most.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:50 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,669,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It really was a better paper under the Chandlers.

I don't know why Tribune don't want to sell it and are even talking about making more acquisitions. Eli Broad is willing to buy it off them any time they're willing to sell, but they don't want to let it go.

L.A. will probably be the first big US city to be without a major daily paper.
Actually, no, I think Philadelphia will have that unfortunate honor. The Inquirer, after another set of staff layoffs, is barely on life support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: