Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 12:54 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,163,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1985111 View Post
Yes I feel the presence of evil here nonstop LA is a gruesome hellhole
Its almost as unbearable as punctuation am i right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 05:02 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Great thread!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 33,992 times
Have you ever read the book, White Oleander? I think the author felt the strange vibes here, too. Or read the old Raymond Chandler mystery books. Or watch the movie Chinatown. I moved here in 1979 from the midwest and have never really felt settled in, but I don't know why. I'm going to think about your post for awhile and check back!

One thing I know is that there is little sense of history compared to other places. Constant demolition and reinvention. Hollywood is all about pretending. Maybe we have lost our way as a city and a culture. Or sold our soul.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:59 AM

108 posts, read 117,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilbrensbrarbher View Post
Hi everybody!

I'm Eddie.

This is my first post on this forum although I've been lurking for quite some time. As a frequent traveler who has moved a few times, I find this place to be a great resource to prepare for a new city. Since there are so many knowledgeable souls on here, I felt it might be a good place to ask a rather strange question that might sound stupid to some people. It's been stuck in my craw for over a decade now, though, so here goes.

I was perusing the Data Lounge forums earlier and I stumbled upon what seemed a standard boiler plate hate thread about Los Angeles, and, as someone who spent most of his childhood and adolescence in Pasadena, I felt compelled to read what the OP had to say (for the yuks). It was all quite boring and typical, but then I came across one comment that worded a feeling I have had since I was very young in a way that sent chills up my spine.

Anonymous said: "Whenever I've been in LA, I always feel an unnatural - almost supernatural - undercurrent of evil. I'm serious. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't feel it in any other city."

Now I've been to every major city in the US and am familiar with many of them (currently residing in San Francisco cause work), and I totally agree with this guy. I feel like someone put some sort of a hex on the area. Especially LA proper, which has an almost mystical satanic-dystopia vibe about it (from my POV, at least). I don't know why, but the Grove has always caused my geiger counter of evil to go haywire.

I went to college in the Midwest for four years (yuck! sorry Midwesterners, not a fan ) and I will never forget the day I rolled back into LA for as long as I live. I didn't even have to get all the way into town before the evil vibes came rushing back--I could feel them from the freeway. It was like coming up on one of those really bad acid trips that you know is going to be awful before it even starts.

These vibes don't exist in any other place I've been, they have a very distinct flavor. I'd say Las Vegas and NYC are the only cities that sort of compare, but they are still not on the same level. Not the same particular, desperate sort of sadness.

I have a theory that all of the broken dreams and sad stories (looking at you, Hollywood) have coagulated into a massive occlusion which has shadowed the city, but then again that sounds completely insane! This all sounds completely insane, but I promise I'm not crazy. I tried really, really hard to ignore it while I lived there but deep down I couldn't deny it. It was the definition of a vibration, impossible to ignore, innate, resonant...the feelings were involuntary and I was therefore unable to completely discount them, try as I did.

Now, does anyone relate, even a little bit, to what I am saying? I have felt this way for years and have never spoken up about it, since I had to live with my parents as a kid I had no choice but to force myself to ignore it. Also, defensive LA people, I am not trying to crap on LA. I know people do that a lot and you don't like it. I just want to know if it's just me or there really is something strange under the floorboards of the City of Angels.

Also, here's a link to the page I found the original comment on FYI, refer to reply number 45:

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/10...f-los-angeles-
Im a New Yorker (city) who moved here (also lived in London and Ohio) and trust me there are negative things I can say about LA, but evil? Nah, thats silly. Bad things have happened here, more bad things will happen. People can be arrogant (they can most places). There are slums. But evil? I dont get that, but Im hard around the edges myself so it wouldnt even phase me if I felt that way, which I dont.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,483,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
In my opinion, Hollywood feels like desperation to me, as does Las Vegas. Two towns that give me the skeevie weegies. They both have an off-putting energy to me.

Malibu at night feels haunted in my opinion, so quiet you can hear your heart beat in your ears, I can't sleep there.
Wow the OP is sort of on to something. I lived there almost 20 years and I felt it too, not so much when I first got there (unless I drove up to the Sharon Tate house or some such place) but the longer I was there, the more I sensed it. I don't know if I'd call it "evil" or just negative energy or desperation or if it is just the remnant of so many tragic real-life stories.

It's funny you'd say Malibu feels haunted. That's the only place I've lived in LA where I felt no negative energy at all, maybe because it was so quiet and removed from the city. The Hollywood Hills always seemed the most creepy to me, beautiful but creepy.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 2,278,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
Im a New Yorker (city) who moved here (also lived in London and Ohio) and trust me there are negative things I can say about LA, but evil? Nah, thats silly. Bad things have happened here, more bad things will happen. People can be arrogant (they can most places). There are slums. But evil? I dont get that, but Im hard around the edges myself so it wouldnt even phase me if I felt that way, which I dont.
There's just as much evil in NY and Chicago, isn't there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Wow the OP is sort of on to something. I lived there almost 20 years and I felt it too, not so much when I first got there (unless I drove up to the Sharon Tate house or some such place) but the longer I was there, the more I sensed it. I don't know if I'd call it "evil" or just negative energy or desperation or if it is just the remnant of so many tragic real-life stories.

It's funny you'd say Malibu feels haunted. That's the only place I've lived in LA where I felt no negative energy at all, maybe because it was so quiet and removed from the city. The Hollywood Hills always seemed the most creepy to me, beautiful but creepy.
I've felt negative energy in NYC, though that was quite some time ago.

Isn't the Hollywood Hills the area where the "Wonderland" murders happened? They made a movie about it.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,483,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
There's just as much evil in NY and Chicago, isn't there?

I've felt negative energy in NYC, though that was quite some time ago.

Isn't the Hollywood Hills the area where the "Wonderland" murders happened? They made a movie about it.
Yes that was in Laurel Canyon. I'm pretty sure the house it still there.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:08 PM

99 posts, read 125,328 times
*sigh*

Evil vibes?

And Californians wonder why the rest of the nation hates them.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 AM

47 posts, read 144,812 times
The only places I ever felt "evil vibes" at were in New Orleans, Newark and Camden.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,773 times
YES, I agree absolutely with the OP. I lived in Los Angeles and there is a very bleak, evil feeling radiating from many areas there. Lots of spiritual darkness. I actually met a witch there who said that there are 'vortexes' around certain areas including Skid Row where evil just bubbles up from meridian lines in the earth. I agree completely. Los Angeles is the most depressing area, despite some of the physical beauty. I found it bleak, barren, dry (it's a desert, most people don't realize that from movies) and a palpable sense of evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles