U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 11:27 AM

21 posts, read 19,498 times

Advertisements

In about nine months, I will be finished with my dual graduate degree program and will have earned masters degrees in both Landscape Architecture and Urban Design. Ever since taking planning electives as an undergrad, and later driving across country from Maryland to drop my best friend off to film school, I've been obsessed with growth and development in LA and Angeleno culture. Despite being ~2400 miles away on the east coast, I've never felt more at home anywhere else in the US. I know for sure want to move to Los Angeles and begin a career in urban planning when I graduate, but wonder if that would be an easy goal to actualize even with my skills and education.

I know that LA is beginning to think about smarter decisions in regard to housing, transportation, and infrastructure going forward into the 21 century, and I that's something I'd really like to be apart of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:33 AM

9,305 posts, read 12,068,916 times
Starting a career isn't easy, sport.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM

25 posts, read 16,302 times
I envy your place in life. If things had gone differently for me, urban planning and or development would have been my lifes work. I grew up in Los Angeles and remember when LA looked like a gigantic polluted over grown fresno. My how things have changed. I ride the Gold line everyday to my job and marvel at the changes I see everyday. I wish I could live another 75 years to see all that is in store for this amazing place. The mountains, the coast and beaches, the layout of the cities that make up this widely gigantic urban scene makes me very thankful to have grown up here.

If I were you I would submit my resume to every planning department in this area. Start with the Metro Transit Authority. The authority has billions to spend and is planning projects until the day you retire. The transformation of the LA river is also a big deal and will require billions and decades to complete. I remember reading about the possibility of building cog rails or some other such way of transporting people to the Big Bear area of the San Bernardino Forest and connecting to the Metro Link train we already have.

We need young people like you to help undo the many mistakes that were made many years ago. Good luck

Old 12-03-2015, 12:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,343,166 times
LA is the 2nd largest city in the US, wouldn't sweat things too much, but plan ahead. It would be nice if you had a low-level salable skill to keep $$ coming in while you look for the dream job.

Example: (look for CAPITAL PROJECTS MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE)
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty

Or an internship:
Internship Program | Office of Historic Resources, City of Los Angeles

Old 12-03-2015, 02:41 PM

615 posts, read 571,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjim View Post
If I were you I would submit my resume to every planning department in this area. Start with the Metro Transit Authority. The authority has billions to spend and is planning projects until the day you retire. The transformation of the LA river is also a big deal and will require billions and decades to complete. I remember reading about the possibility of building cog rails or some other such way of transporting people to the Big Bear area of the San Bernardino Forest and connecting to the Metro Link train we already have.
I would second this advice. Look into the local city planning and regional transportation agencies like LACMTA (Metro) and Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG). I would also inquire with the American Planning Association (APA) https://www.planning.org/; particularly their local Los Angeles section: APA LA. Another resource would be Planetizen:Jobs | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network.

Given the recent emphasis on Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) and the expansion of the rail system, I'm sure you could find your career niche in the planning and urban design fields. All the best to you.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,343,166 times
BTW, have you checked out this forum?

//www.city-data.com/forum/urban-planning/

Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM

21 posts, read 19,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjim View Post
I envy your place in life. If things had gone differently for me, urban planning and or development would have been my lifes work. I grew up in Los Angeles and remember when LA looked like a gigantic polluted over grown fresno. My how things have changed. I ride the Gold line everyday to my job and marvel at the changes I see everyday. I wish I could live another 75 years to see all that is in store for this amazing place. The mountains, the coast and beaches, the layout of the cities that make up this widely gigantic urban scene makes me very thankful to have grown up here.

We need young people like you to help undo the many mistakes that were made many years ago. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
LA is the 2nd largest city in the US, wouldn't sweat things too much, but plan ahead. It would be nice if you had a low-level salable skill to keep $$ coming in while you look for the dream job.

Example: (look for CAPITAL PROJECTS MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE)
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty

Or an internship:
Internship Program | Office of Historic Resources, City of Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I would second this advice. Look into the local city planning and regional transportation agencies like LACMTA (Metro) and Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG). I would also inquire with the American Planning Association (APA) https://www.planning.org/; particularly their local Los Angeles section: APA LA. Another resource would be Planetizen:Jobs | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network.

Given the recent emphasis on Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) and the expansion of the rail system, I'm sure you could find your career niche in the planning and urban design fields. All the best to you.

Thanks everyone for the links!!

The friend I mentioned in my op has been tying to get me to move to LA for years now. Our half-baked plan is to find an apt in his current neighborhood [Koreatown/Larchmont] were he's paying ~$900 for a decent sized studio. Just need to figure out how to pay for it.

I've been looking at the Metro site and noticed that they have an Entry Level Trainee Program (ELTP) giving graduates an opportunity to gain professional work experience in public transportation. I'm not sure how competitive it is though. I think it'd be a good way to at least get my foot in the door. The pay is okay I guess, and includes benefits. After looking on Glassdoor, I saw that a GIS [Geographic Information Systems] Trainee was making around $49k/year. I'll be shooting my resume and portfolio to their contact in the new year/after finals.

My dad and step mom JUST moved from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara last year, but I've got an open invitation to move home so I can be on the same side of the map as the jobs I want. We'll see.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:47 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,088,100 times
LA is a great place for that field. So many exciting things going on and expected to happen over the next 10 - 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles