Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:22 AM

22 posts, read 26,503 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing from landlords on this. I have been renting for 30 years. No problem until 2013 I received a UD lawsuit. I have been living in this apartment for 14 years. I promptly paid, in addition to court costs and atty fees by way of agreement. The case was dismissed (no judgment taken). I am still living there. I have never had a judgment taken against me, no liens, bankruptcy, no actual evictions or lawsuits (not counting UD). I make $64,000 yearly and my credit score is good.

Would landlords still rent for me? Obviously if all these others things confirmed true, would an UD action that I took care of help me in the future?

Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:46 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,983,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone65 View Post
... would an UD action that I took care of help me in the future?
Wishful thinking. Ask yourself: if a secretary embezzled money from a boss, got caught, paid it back under court order, would you hire that secretary for your business? Would anybody?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 AM

No, I paid everything without a court order. We never made it to court. It was dismissed before the hearing.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,983,486 times
Quote:
No, I paid everything without a court order. We never made it to court. It was dismissed before the hearing.
Ok. Why so worried? Are you considering moving? Is the landlord looking for a reason to trip you up?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:07 PM

I worry a lot. I plan on moving this summer to be closer to a high school that my son will attend. Otherwise I wouldn't move. I love where I'm at. No problems with management. I've pulled my credit and tenant background screening which shows nothing negative. However, of course, the Los Angeles court site lists this UD. It shows dismissed by agreement. So I'm anxious about that.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 PM

8,479 posts, read 10,892,244 times
What were the circumstances for the landlord starting eviction proceedings?
This information could be important to a perspective landlord.
Many landlords check court records of perspective tenants, while many do not.

Bob.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:25 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,050,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What were the circumstances for the landlord starting eviction proceedings?
This information could be important to a perspective landlord.
Many landlords check court records of perspective tenants, while many do not.

Bob.
Agreed, we need a bit more historical context. Especially since you claimed to have lived there for 14 years and are a good paying tenant. So, what lead to the UD? I'm glad you got it resolved but... there's something missing from your story.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:26 PM

I wrote to management asking if I could pay the full rent on the 15th. I had a couple thousand car repair and just didn't have it until then. So they filed but then immediately agreed to dismiss if I paid outstanding rent, court and atty fees, which I did. About a year later they offered a one year lease at a lower rent. I declined. It's been 3 years since then. (I'm not offering the above as an excuse. This is just what happened.) I've never avoided management nor bounced a check in the almost 14 years I've been there.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:35 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,050,235 times
Quote:
I wrote to management asking if I could pay the full rent on the 15th. I had a couple thousand car repair and just didn't have it until then. So they filed but then immediately agreed to dismiss if I paid outstanding rent, court and atty fees, which I did. About a year later they offered a one year lease at a lower rent. I declined. It's been 3 years since then. (I'm not offering the above as an excuse. This is just what happened.) I've never avoided management nor bounced a check in the almost 14 years I've been there.
Wow, they couldn't offer you a break by paying 14 days later than normal? I've requested paying rent a few days past its due date because of emergency car repairs too. You need a CAR, to get to WORK so you can earn MONEY, to pay RENT. But, some landlords don't see it that way.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:41 PM

Well, at that time they were selling the building. The manager said that they had to have everything paid up. It's a huge historical landmark building with major corporate management. She was nice about it. The new owner is probably even more professional. So I have no day-to-day problems where I'm at. Just worried about the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles