Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 09:33 AM

755 posts, read 671,529 times

Advertisements

1.It was cold as hell.
2. traffic was not crazy (holiday Friday and Saturday?)
3. Friggin mountains were huge and visible.
4. Azusa isn't as bad as people says it is on CD.
5. Parts of West Covina and Covina is soooo dirty.
6. So many places to eat, even in the east valley.
7. Football is top notch
8. Houses are sooo small and old.
9. Gas........ and being charged to use my debit to purchase gas

Btw. Lived there (SGV and SFV) for 20 years, been gone for 10 years. Normally I go to Santa Clarita, but this time I stayed in Duarte/Azusa/Covina areas.

Overall it hasn't changed much since I left.......and that is a good thing. People on here exaggerate LA's demise something terrible.....

If I were someone who was seeking information about LA, I'd be extremely cautious taking advice from disgruntle C-D LA posters, who probably don't even live there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:25 AM

61 posts, read 79,570 times
Many don't venture that east so they just assume all of South Central and Greater Eastside is bad based on Los Angeles. They're so quick to make assumations on areas they never traveled. It's beautiful when the peaks have snow on them.

I'm glad you liked the SGV (: the eastern side of the Inland Empire is still the valley. I recommend next time Claremont, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga areas. If you REALLY wanna venture far out, then Redlands or Palm Springs but that's already getting 50 plus miles inland. It takes 125 miles of Santa Monica to hit pure desert.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR' Us View Post
Many don't venture that east so they just assume all of South Central and Greater Eastside is bad based on Los Angeles. They're so quick to make assumations on areas they never traveled. It's beautiful when the peaks have snow on them.

I'm glad you liked the SGV (: the eastern side of the Inland Empire is still the valley. I recommend next time Claremont, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga areas. If you REALLY wanna venture far out, then Redlands or Palm Springs but that's already getting 50 plus miles inland. It takes 125 miles of Santa Monica to hit pure desert.

Yea, I really did not experience much of the LA basin east of the 605 FWY.....unless I was driving through to get to Phoenix or Vegas or visit a friend a couple of times or go to Ontario Mills ONCE. Man, Azusa and Glendora is sitting right beside the mountains; what a nice view, as well as Durate.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:54 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,832,048 times
The SGV foothill area is very pretty, and it's one of the few places in LA County that still have an authentic nature feel.

The more south you go, the more urban it gets. That's why you noticed West Covina and Covina being grittier. I would say south of Arrow Highway is where it stops being the "foothills."

Lots of good food in the area, not expensive nor too trendy. Mostly oldschool Americana, Mexican, and Asian stuff for locals... like breakfast diners and Chinese restaurants that have been around for decades.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:23 PM

61 posts, read 79,570 times
You forgot that it's a hiker's paradise (: you'll never run out of trails here. And San Diego isn't too far ethier.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:00 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times
Quote:
the eastern side of the Inland Empire is still the valley.
The Inland Empire is further east, though. The San Gabriel Valley has as its eastern limits the cities of San Dimas, Diamond Bar and Walnut. San Gabriel Valley - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-05-2015, 02:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,650,333 times
My best friend lives in San Gabriel and if I ever had to live in SoCal again , I'd pick SG. ( And never cook again.)

Old 12-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You forgot that it's a hiker's paradise (: you'll never run out of trails here. And San Diego isn't too far ethier.
Very true.

Another thing, I think I (and most) people don't appreciate the tranquility and easy going SGV because it is so peaceful and quiet (most would call boring); the antithesis of LA. I despised it (Pasadena, Monrovia, Arcadia, Duarte, Glendora, San Dimas, and Claremont) and would only venture out by necessity when I lived there, but I was a teenager and young adult (17-36) my entire time. Now after raising my oldest in Arizona and in the process of raising my other child, I have learned the value of community and outdoor activities such as hiking, bike riding, park and recreation leagues, and community gatherings juxtapose to clubbing and the Hollywood scene.

The SGV is a good thing; plus it is just 20-30 miles from all of the action if and when you need it. If people want to bash and misdirect other as if LA is this homogeneous city full of nothing but negatives, thus making them feel better because they can't grasp all of the things that LA Coutny has to offer, that is on them.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:34 PM

23,280 posts, read 23,649,722 times
Having lived in SoCal for 20 years, I was fortunate enough to have had a chance to live in Pasadena and So. Pasadena. I miss these two cities and the SGV. So much culture, amenities, great restaurants and things to do, in general. I always enjoyed running at the Rose Bowl or picking up a round of golf at Brookside Golf Course. In the evening, heading to Old Town Pasadena for dinner was always awesome. The SGV will always be a special place.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:59 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,974,525 times
SGV most underrated part of LA County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles