Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Twin Cities, Minnesota across country to Los Angeles, California, fixed income, physical limitations, moving ideas, U-haul, moving truck, U-haul trailer or truck, simplifying life

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:17 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Mpls/St Paul Forum but thought I'd put it here too...

Hello:

I am moving from the Twin Cities (MN) to Los Angeles, CA, 1 May 2008. I am on a fixed income so money is always an issue. I have considered what seems like 1000 different scenarios for how to physically make the move (like: get rid of nearly everything & just pull a trailer of a few things, rent a small U-haul type thing & haul the car, hire movers, etc) - my head is spinning from all the "what ifs".

Here's the deal - I don't have a ton of things but getting rid of everything & thinking I can reasonably replace them right away on my income doesn't seem realistic. I'm concerned about finding a company to assist in the move because I've heard horror stories of folks getting scammed in one way or another.

I do not have a car get but getting one before I move is on a MUST DO list. Physically, riding all the way to CA in a moving truck seems like a near impossibility with my physical issues - but I haven't eliminated it - it would simply take me forever to get there that way because I'd need to stop quite a bit.

I honestly don't know much about the intricacies of these cross-country moves & could use some practical & hopefully first-hand knowledgeable assistance.

I'm looking for the cheapest, easiest, safest, & most reliable way to make this happen. Do any of you have any concrete helpful advice to offer? Perhaps reputable companies you know of (perhaps examples of how you know they are reputable)? Different methods to get the same job done? Basically, anything that can help me narrow down the choices as much as possible.

I'm going, one way or the other, I'd just feel more comfortable if I were remotely close to which way I am going... lol!

Thank you... The Thinky Think.R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
The three constraints to getting anything done are cheaply, fast, and correct. Sounds like you want it done right (within your physical limitations) and you don't want to write huge checks. So it will be cheap and it will be correct but it won't be fast. You didn't write you were in a rush. Without much else to go on: Sell or donate everything you don't need or can't transport, Rent the biggest U-Haul, hire a couple of high school football players to help get stuff in the truck, and take your time driving west. If you have to stop, you have to stop. It's the cheapest, most comfortable way to do it. Can you go 300 miles per day? It may take a week to get to SoCal but you won't go broke. The alternative to so pay someone and fly. Not cheap.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The three constraints to getting anything done are cheaply, fast, and correct. Sounds like you want it done right (within your physical limitations) and you don't want to write huge checks. So it will be cheap and it will be correct but it won't be fast. You didn't write you were in a rush. Without much else to go on: Sell or donate everything you don't need or can't transport, Rent the biggest U-Haul, hire a couple of high school football players to help get stuff in the truck, and take your time driving west. If you have to stop, you have to stop. It's the cheapest, most comfortable way to do it. Can you go 300 miles per day? It may take a week to get to SoCal but you won't go broke. The alternative to so pay someone and fly. Not cheap.
One of the big questions is - how far can I drive "a moving truck". I seem to remember driving 400 - 500 miles a day (although I could be remembering wrong) in 2004 when I was in the lap of luxury in my Volvo. I struggle greatly with an around town move & driving those moving trucks. I am actually greatly concerned I won't make it. The other complicating factor is that I will be purchasing a car before leaving here & then I'd have to tow the car behind the truck. I just don't know about that scenario - all things considered.

I almost wish there weren't so many ways to do it because I am overwhelmed with the possibilities. You are correct that time is not as much of the essence (although JUST GETTING THERE would be great) but money & correct are the priorities - add to that something that will not send me to hospital... lol!

Thank you...

Old 02-04-2008, 04:57 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Be careful if you tow your car behind a U-Haul. There was a big article in the paper recently about how U-Haul and other companies are very negligent with renting out tow trailers for cars. They were renting out too small of trucks to pull these trailers and people have been getting in accidents and killed because of it. It is kept "secret" by U-Haul tho.

IMO...get rid of most of your stuff and rebuy it out there. You can always replace stuff like furniture. It probably will cost more to move it than it is worth.

It is cool to hear that you are finally going to go ahead with the move. I know that you were having skeptical thoughts about it. I really respect that you are doing it for spiritual reasons and that you have found "resonance" in the LA area. You have positive energy to bring to LA. That is nice to hear. If you want to be in LA, then there is a way. Maybe you will find that you will need a roommate to make ends meet, but that could turn out to be a blessing too. All types of different doors could open and you seem like the type of person that is certainly not adverse to change or challenges.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:39 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Hello. My husband I moved here from Wisconsin (after living in Miami for a few years) in 2005 and the cross-country journey wasn't too bad. We left on a Sunday morning and got here on Wed. night. We stopped at a hotel each night after about 11 or so hours of driving.

We didn't have much stuff, either, and just pulled a small U-Haul trailer behind our car. Renting a truck was way too expensive for us, and we were able to cram a lot of our necessities into the trailer. We had to pay a few hundred for the hitch on our car and I think the trailer was around $400-500. We stayed in cheap motels like Motel 6 the entire way and ate fast food to make the trip more economical.

Just bring what you absolutely can't live without and get the rest when you get out here. We didn't have a bed, so we rented a studio apt. at Oakwood in Woodland Hills at first, which had a murphy bed (out of the wall). It had built-in dressers and a computer table, so we didn't need as much right away. Maybe you could look into a place like that. When we moved into our one-bedroom we scored a free mattress on craigslist.org. It isn't the most luxurious mattress out there, but it works until we can afford something better. There are lots of great flea markets and garage sales out there, too. We bought a coffee table for $20 and after painting it, it looks great!

I will post more ideas as I think of them. Best of luck to you on the move, and I think it is wonderful that you are living your dream! I am still struggling with finding a decent full-time job out here (after 3 years!) and it is financially tough, but I love it here. I am sure you will, too.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM

167 posts, read 557,790 times
I don't have any advice to give, but just want to wish you the best with your move. I'm hoping to make a move myself one day and seeing others do it gives me encouragement. Blessings to you.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
I don't have any advice to give, but just want to wish you the best with your move. I'm hoping to make a move myself one day and seeing others do it gives me encouragement. Blessings to you.
It's nice to know, truly, that even in the midst of my own struggles to recreate my life, I can be of some encouragement to someone. I'll take the blessings you offer - I sure can use them... Much thanks & appreciation... thinky

Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Hello. My husband I moved here from Wisconsin (after living in Miami for a few years) in 2005 and the cross-country journey wasn't too bad. We left on a Sunday morning and got here on Wed. night. We stopped at a hotel each night after about 11 or so hours of driving.

We didn't have much stuff, either, and just pulled a small U-Haul trailer behind our car. Renting a truck was way too expensive for us, and we were able to cram a lot of our necessities into the trailer. We had to pay a few hundred for the hitch on our car and I think the trailer was around $400-500. We stayed in cheap motels like Motel 6 the entire way and ate fast food to make the trip more economical.

Just bring what you absolutely can't live without and get the rest when you get out here. We didn't have a bed, so we rented a studio apt. at Oakwood in Woodland Hills at first, which had a murphy bed (out of the wall). It had built-in dressers and a computer table, so we didn't need as much right away. Maybe you could look into a place like that. When we moved into our one-bedroom we scored a free mattress on craigslist.org. It isn't the most luxurious mattress out there, but it works until we can afford something better. There are lots of great flea markets and garage sales out there, too. We bought a coffee table for $20 and after painting it, it looks great!

I will post more ideas as I think of them. Best of luck to you on the move, and I think it is wonderful that you are living your dream! I am still struggling with finding a decent full-time job out here (after 3 years!) and it is financially tough, but I love it here. I am sure you will, too.
It is so important that, no matter what we are facing, we still find a way to pursue our dreams to their limits! I thank you for recognizing that. Actually, one of my favourite quotes is:

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler."

~ Henry David Thoreau

All things happen as they should - especially when we get out of our own way often times! I am sending well-wishes your way for 2008 to be the greatest year yet!!

As to the rest:

I'm greatly considering getting rid of as much as possible if it will really mean saving me a couple thousand dollars. I believe the problem is that I have just enough things like books (as I've whittled my collection down to the bare necessities), one bombay chest that I can't / don't want to part with, kettles that are too expensive to just replace (freecycle find), photos, family mementos, etc that make it seem unlikely that I'll cut the costs that dramatically. I hate that movers go by weight because the few things I want to keep are inherently heavy!!

I am planning on buying a certified used vehicle so that a warranty comes with it - hopefully that will make the cross-country move a bit less stressful. I will be travelling with my son (who's just coming to help), my dog, & somehow my cat (who does NOT travel well) - gonna have to leave the fish behind but want to take one of the 20 gallon tanks & rocks with - expensive to replace.

Given the animals in the equation, I won't have as much room in the car, & now that I think of it - my options for "couchsurfing" (google it) may be more limited or eliminated - couchsurfing is a free option to paying for motels along the way.

I'm connected to online networks that will make it easier to pick up items after the move for free - I may just have to be uncomfortable in the meantime.

Each day seems to be bringing a new challenge so anyone willing to send out warm thoughts, prayers, positive energy - things of that nature, I would appreciate. One day the house is a done deal & it's mine - the next the current tenant is causing some sort of stink. I just want to send everyone the greatest of good & have the current tenant pay her rent, stay through April, allowing me to rent it 1 May 2008. I claim it & so it is... AMEN!!!

Thanks everyone...

Last edited by think.reciprocity; 02-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Always missing something...

Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Be careful if you tow your car behind a U-Haul. There was a big article in the paper recently about how U-Haul and other companies are very negligent with renting out tow trailers for cars. They were renting out too small of trucks to pull these trailers and people have been getting in accidents and killed because of it. It is kept "secret" by U-Haul tho.

IMO...get rid of most of your stuff and rebuy it out there. You can always replace stuff like furniture. It probably will cost more to move it than it is worth.

It is cool to hear that you are finally going to go ahead with the move. I know that you were having skeptical thoughts about it. I really respect that you are doing it for spiritual reasons and that you have found "resonance" in the LA area. You have positive energy to bring to LA. That is nice to hear. If you want to be in LA, then there is a way. Maybe you will find that you will need a roommate to make ends meet, but that could turn out to be a blessing too. All types of different doors could open and you seem like the type of person that is certainly not adverse to change or challenges.
Thank you... Thank you! It's sometimes difficult to put one's support behind someone trying to achieve something that seems monumental for their circumstances. So I truly thank you for your words.

As for pulling a UHaul, a friend of mine just told me I'd be crazy because no car I'd be buying will be big enough to allow for towing - I'll kill myself! lol

I have to get my butt in gear, label what's staying & what's going & get a mover in here for an estimate. Given that I'll be buying a Certified Used Vehicle, I will have a warranty & will just have to believe the best - that It'll make it across country just fine! I don't know how I'll manage with the cat & the dog in the same car - my son was supposed to keep the cat but has since changed his mind.

Details, Details... Think the cat could go in a luggage rack on top of the car? I'M KIDDING - OF COURSE!

Take good care & thanks again... Thinky

Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 PM

226 posts, read 576,715 times
Well, U-Haul is usually the cheapest way for people without the benefit of a large company paying for their move.

Put it this way: In your shoes, it probably is best to get rid of anything and everything you can part with -- and sell anything you can for money to help with the move. I'm not sure how much you have, but of course, the bigger the truck, the heavier the load, the more gas, equals the bigger the price you will pay.

On certain things, you may have to weigh how much the item cost you, and if it is even worth holding on to (verses just rebuying it out west). However, if you pay for a big enough truck, you may be able to take that item, and not get rid of it. Therefore, you have to first establish how much you are willing to pay for the move, and therefore, then establish what size of truck you will get. You then know how much you room you will have, then be able to start establishing how much you will be able to keep, and how much you'll have to part with. You'll be able to think clearer, and make better decisions, when you get those things established.

Remember, you can always send a bunch of stuff in boxes to an LA post office, or local LA address. However, if your renting a U-Haul for larger furniture, you may not need to mess with sending boxes of small stuff.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a good, smooth move. Going west to California is always exciting for the first-timer. Whatever happens, I hope it goes well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles