Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,506 times

Advertisements

Okay, above is the proximity of my new house in LA. Tell me what you know about the area.

I'll forewarn you, I'm a positive, diverse, upbeat person who really is only looking for helpful advice - not anything that is meant to be controversial or hurtful to anyone. (I say this because I've been on this site for long enough to know what can happen when asking for input about certain areas)

I want it all: the good, the bad, & the ugly but I'd like it to be constructive above all else. Thanks...

The Thinky Think.R

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 54,894 times
My mom lives donw the street from 64th and La Brea. This is right at the border between the City of Inglewood, L.A city and the unincorporated county areas.

The good is that this area is primarily made up of Single family homes that are well maintained. With the exception of the Ladera Townhomes, most of the other apartments are duplexes and triplexes. This part of Inglewood is predominately black with more latinos going south of Centinela. There are still a number of older white families in the area as well. I do see more white families moving into this part of Inglewood.

The Homes West of La Brea were build in the 40's and are of the Ranch house variety with a few spanish style ones thrown in there.

As far as crime goes, that part of North Inglewood is much lower that other parts of the city. To get detailed Crime info, you can go to the cities website or call up the department. There are rough patches south of Centinela with gang activity. With the exception of the Starbuck's on La Brea and Centinela, most of the businesses are of the mom and pop varieties.

If you have school age children, then I would send them to private schools. The local schools (Parent, La Tijera) have declined and I can't recommend them.

I like the proximity to shopping areas (ie Fox Hills Mall, the Bridge) and the ability to use surface streets to get to the airport or downtown if need be. The commute time between places like El Segundo, Playa del Rey and Culver City are reasonable by L.A standards.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 PM

119 posts, read 880,981 times
Thats Morningside Heights.the best neighborhood in Inglewood Many single family homes built between 1940's to the 1960's, Spanish Colonials, Cap Cods, English Tudors, French Country homes. Lot of homeowners there vs renters solid middle class neighborhood.Plenty of restaurants, shops Very close to employment centers in Westchester(LAX area); Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City,Westwood. Nice Apartments my Aunt lived there for two years. Very Close to the San Diego Freeway and LAX.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 AM

167 posts, read 557,551 times
I have several friends that live in the area so I'm in the vicinity quite a bit. It's a nice, quiet residential area, especially for the heart of the city, lots of families, convenient to all areas of LA. The above posts describe the area well so I have nothing more to add. You should be very happy with your new neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,630 times
Mainly older black families living in single family homes, Slauson is sort of shakey however.

P.S: Good soul food eateries are nearby.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Mainly older black families living in single family homes, Slauson is sort of shakey however.

P.S: Good soul food eateries are nearby.

Are you referring to Slauson around La Brea? Because just down the road a spell in Culver City, Slauson is just fine. Right where La Brea meets Slauson - there's that McD's & a Home Depot - that area does seem a bit, "less desirable", shall I say?!

My street (I'm renting) is all lovely, well kept homes, with impeccably maintained yards & neighbors who know one another & are watching what's happening on their street. I took out my camera to photograph the house but also some in the area to give my son an idea of what the block looked like. Two neighbors came out to see what I was doing & why. They were friendly & nice once I explained - but clearly wanted answers as to why I was photographing their houses. That scares me & makes me feel comforted all at once... lol! You certainly want neighbors who are paying attention - just not noting your every move & gossiping about your comings & goings over morning coffee... lol!

I like my privacy but I also like to enjoy my neighbors...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Thumbs up Thank you everyone...

... for all of your helpful information & input. It would seem that just as things appear to be a "done deal" something new arises & screams, "wait a minute, you don't have that house yet, girlie!!!". But, I'm glad to consistently hear this is the nice neighborhood it certainly seems to be to me. Shows I have good judgment even in an area I am unfamiliar with. What a relief!

Now, I just have to get the lease signed & secured. I need all the positive energy, prayers, encouragement, love, light - ANYTHING GOOD sent my way, towards the landlord, & the current tenant who is causing all the ruckus - so that everything goes smoothly for her to move out at the end of April, pay all of her rent, & for me to move in on 1 May 2008. Stress - seems like I could explode!

Anything else to add - please do so... I appreciate you all... thinky

Last edited by think.reciprocity; 02-05-2008 at 11:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 AM

76 posts, read 357,114 times
I'm assuming that you are referring to west of West Blvd right ? East of West Blvd is not a good area and I would not recommend it.I actually grew up on 64th & Buckler several blocks west of that area .My dad still lives there.The further west you go the better.Can you find out how many blocks west the house is of West Blvd ?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieC View Post
I'm assuming that you are referring to west of West Blvd right ? East of West Blvd is not a good area and I would not recommend it.I actually grew up on 64th & Buckler several blocks west of that area .My dad still lives there.The further west you go the better.Can you find out how many blocks west the house is of West Blvd ?
I'm a little confused because if you know where the address is, how come you also don't know where it is in relationship to West Blvd? I looked up your dad's house & it is literally, just a couple blocks down the street from "my house".

As for West Blvd, the only street I could find by that name seems to be one block long, way over by Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza, on the other side of Slauson, & way at the opposite end of the Kenneth Hahn State Rec Area.

So, I'm not certain what all of that means, in the end...

Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I'm a little confused because if you know where the address is, how come you also don't know where it is in relationship to West Blvd? I looked up your dad's house & it is literally, just a couple blocks down the street from "my house".

As for West Blvd, the only street I could find by that name seems to be one block long, way over by Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza, on the other side of Slauson, & way at the opposite end of the Kenneth Hahn State Rec Area.

So, I'm not certain what all of that means, in the end...
the other poster is correct. west blvd is between la brea and crenshaw. it basically runs parallel to them, but the road gets twisty and breaks off in a few places. it's fine right around slauson, but can get pretty nasty as it approaches florence (roughly 70th street), where it ends. (it picks up again somewhere on the other side of the cemetery, but that's beyond your area of concern.) as far as i understand, your place is located west of west blvd, and as she said, the farther west, the better.

btw, that's a pretty good rule of thumb for choosing neighborhoods west of downtown: the farther west, the better. however, it might not always hold up when you're going block by block within a particular neighborhood. it does in this case, though.

Last edited by katenik; 02-09-2008 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles