Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 10,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie'sMom View Post
$1.5 and 1600-2000 square feet? Yeah, um…no thank you. We could buy a place south of Ventura blvd in woodland hills, pay insane property taxes, be built into the hill, and come in under 2500 sq ft , with zero safe yard for my kids etc…but that's just not my bag. On top of it, when a semi decent house comes on the market, it's over bid on, and many times paid for in cash, off the market within the same 2 day span.
Los Angeles isnt even that expensive when you compare it to other major cities. You actually get a lot for your money here compared to NYC for instance. Youre complaining about paying $1,000 per sq ft for a property? thats laughable. The most expensive parts of LA (bel air 90077, hollywood hills 90069, beverly hills) have nice houses that range from $1,000 - $1,500 per sq ft which is actually a decent price once you start seeing what you get elsewhere for that money. Goodluck getting into a decent building in NYC for anything less than $2,000 per sq ft, and youll still be in an apartment at the end of the day.

Quote:
Some ppl are completely fine, spending $1+ mil on a mid grade home, in an ok neighborhood, with sort of crappy schools in a city like this, more power to them.
on the topic of schools, i dont know anyone who sends their kids to public school. you mentioned being a person of means. LA has great private schools which shouldnt even be a big deal to you. Didnt you mention in another thread that you plan on homeschooling your kids anyways?

Quote:
It seems you enjoy LA and love the lifestyle, cost of living, etc…that's great. Most people truly don't and are only tolerating it for various reasons. So it's refreshing to see someone who actually enjoys it, the struggle, hustle, etc. More power to you man!
Los Angeles isnt for everyone, but everyone that i know who is successful enjoys living here. I love having nice things and flying under the radar. I love the weather, the endless opportunities, i enjoy meeting interesting people and being here actually makes me happy. That might be hard to believe but its ok, i dont empathize with complainers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,254,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Well, y'know I get it. But c'mon Angelenos, we know about the self-valorizing people do in relation to Los Angeles and its residents. It's fine. OP, I'm happy you've found a place to go.

Now, you do seem a nervous type. But put in perspective, you have gained an awful lot of personal security working in a niche of a place you hate. You can be grateful for that. 99.999% of people here are at quite a distance from that Hollywood scene you lived. I grew up in the working class L.A. burbs, am frugal and value money just as you do, and am happy you achieved what you have.

I also lived in Colorado, so good luck. It wasn't home, but it was nice, though to be honest that's really about all I can say. Still, people really are not so different everywhere unless your self-perception makes you desire that. As a writer, how would you write yourself in L.A.? Not L.A. but you, warts and all?

I think part of it is, you and I grew up here. This is home. And we know that LA is much more than the Valley and to a lesser extent Hollywood.

So I think we all get defensive because 1. We know LA and the surrounding areas are much more, and 2. I think we feel that we're the only ones that can talk bad about it. Or at least that's how I feel about it.

I love the fact that Whittier is a very quiet very suburban city that's 25 miles from downtown, where you could live a very nice (quiet) life in the hills for under/around 1m. And very nice tree lined streets for 6-700k.

I also think part of the trepidation on the part of the OP is that it WILL be too boring. Because..well it is. That and the fact that I think she wants a more fab lifestyle, house...and you can only really get that in LA if you spend 10m+.

The good thing is I can live vicariously through people with a hop skip and a jump. I a few friends in the business and my wife works in entertainment, so that's all the industry I can handle.

Last edited by harhar; 12-15-2015 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: added a part

Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 PM

64 posts, read 80,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Oh man. I went to go read that thread on the Denver forum. Thank god she's leaving LA we don't need people like that here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think part of it is, you and I grew up here. This is home. And we know that LA is much more than the Valley and to a lesser extent Hollywood.

So I think we all get defensive because 1. We know LA and the surrounding areas are much more, and 2. I think we feel that we're the only ones that can talk bad about it. Or at least that's how I feel about it.

I love the fact that Whittier is a very quiet very suburban city that's 25 miles from downtown, where you could live a very nice (quiet) life in the hills for under/around 1m. And very nice tree lined streets for 6-700k.

I also think part of the trepidation on the part of the OP is that it WILL be too boring. Because..well it is. That and the fact that I think she wants a more fab lifestyle, house...and you can only really get that in LA if you spend 10m+.

The good thing is I can live vicariously through people with a hop skip and a jump. I a few friends in the business and my wife works in entertainment, so that's all the industry I can handle.
Actually my ultimate trepidation is that I'm a first time home buyer and tend to be a noncommittal frugal person. Not it being 'boring.' I'm a family person, with children and a husband. A husband, who works successfully in entertainment. We do the red carpets, we go to the premieres, and great parties, when we choose. We have some friends who are are legends in this business/industry, so yes, we can live 'vicariously' through them as well. We also have a plethora of friends who are struggling to 'make it,' pay the rent, finally get that big job, etc. We live through them and their hardships as well.

As for a fabulous home, as you mentioned, fabulous to me, simply means, good/above decent school systems, a neighborhood that is safe, and not a block away from a 'hood' or industrial environment. No earthquakes and worth what it cost to purchase it. My definition of what's nice and 'worth' lets say, $700,000 let alone $1.5mil, may vary from many people, especially if you are born and raised in SoCal, whereas, the places I've lived and state I'm from, the cost of living is just waaaay lower. So I still carry those values with me.

I guess it's hard for folks to comprehend. We will live in Colorado, work in LA part of the year and then spend some time in Florida and at our home in the Caribbean. Moving to Colorado doesn't lock us into only being there, b/c we work here, NYC, Atlanta etc. It's more about us having an escape from L.A. that we call 'home' vs only having that here. Fortunately, unlike most, we have the luxury to have all of that vs having to solely stay here.

I'm glad you enjoy Whittier and the life you and your wife have created. I'm interested in knowing how your home/neighborhood is. What did you pay? Would you post a photo of your home? I'd love to see what you define as nice/comfortable.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondguy View Post
Los Angeles isnt even that expensive when you compare it to other major cities. You actually get a lot for your money here compared to NYC for instance. Youre complaining about paying $1,000 per sq ft for a property? thats laughable. The most expensive parts of LA (bel air 90077, hollywood hills 90069, beverly hills) have nice houses that range from $1,000 - $1,500 per sq ft which is actually a decent price once you start seeing what you get elsewhere for that money. Goodluck getting into a decent building in NYC for anything less than $2,000 per sq ft, and youll still be in an apartment at the end of the day.

on the topic of schools, i dont know anyone who sends their kids to public school. you mentioned being a person of means. LA has great private schools which shouldnt even be a big deal to you. Didnt you mention in another thread that you plan on homeschooling your kids anyways?

Los Angeles isnt for everyone, but everyone that i know who is successful enjoys living here. I love having nice things and flying under the radar. I love the weather, the endless opportunities, i enjoy meeting interesting people and being here actually makes me happy. That might be hard to believe but its ok, i dont empathize with complainers.
LA isn't for everyone, everything isn't for everyone either. Like, living on city-data isn't for me per se, as it is for many of the older, middle aged moody men I've encountered on here. Where are the women? I expect the snark from females at times, which hasn't happened, I guess females tend to gravitate to FB, instagram, twitter where you actually have to have a visible identity, vs the weird anonymity of this website where ppl feel comfortable to be complete d*cks behind a screen. But I digress.

It's funny, you mentioned 'successful people enjoy it here' and yet everyone we know, who you would know off of name in the business has a home here, but has homes in a multitude of states where they escape to spend their time. (Kidman is just one example.) Once the taxes got insane on people grossing into the millions, many of our friends jumped ship and bought out of state.

What is it you do for a living? How much do you make a year? Would you mind posting a photo of your 'lifestyle'? I love to see actual images of the lives of people who say how wonderful/affordable LA is. What part do you live in?

As for NYC compared to LA, last time I checked, there's an entire country and endless cities beyond those two. Is LA the most expensive place in the entire world? No, but I was TRYING to keep it in perspective. Apparently that was a failed attempt. lol.

How much is your home? Your monthly mortgage? What private school do you send your kids to and how much does it cost? Maybe you make more than my husband and I I'd love to see your life in REAL life. Forget all of this typing, lets put it all on the frontline. That's the best way to learn about someone, not typing on the internet.

Again, I'm happy you're happy in LA. That's great! Many people aren't. I thought I mentioned that before. Apparently being happy for your happiness in this city, really enraged and insulted you, which is…well, odd to me. I didn't question your love of the city, or debate you on your perception, b/c it's just that..YOUR perception and therefore your reality. Which is wonderful, b/c it's where you live and are choosing to live your days. I wouldn't wish daily misery on anyone, not even a stranger or enemy. So for the third and final time…I AM HAPPY THAT YOU SIR, ARE HAPPY HERE.! CONGRATS TO YOU AND ENJOY YOUR DAYS HERE IN LA/SOCAL.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Cool. Here's one in Altadena for 1.5 M. It's only 3,900 square feet so that's probably too small for you.

3845 Old Toll Rd, Altadena, CA 91001 | Zillow

I get it. You're an unhappy person and think that moving to Denver will magically allow you to find a community. It won't as you will bring all your baggage there and eventually find yourself in the same situation, but this time blaming it on Denver instead.
Yes. I'm an unhappy person. You've figured me out. I won't be able to find any happiness anywhere b/c I'm completely and utterly miserable. Apparently, only 'happy' people, live on city data, bash random strangers/females, label them as if you, yourself are God, simply b/c they don't agree or share your viewpoints. Yes sir. That is definitely the marker of an insanely content and happy individual.

If happiness is what you do online, like this….then color me crazy and insanely miserable then. As a side note, reading comprehension prior to responding from emotion, provides a much more educated dialogue. Also, everyone who leaves LA or any city for that matter, isn't unhappy…it's called life, change and desire.

Get off city data once in a while and into the real world. I have zero problem exchanging photos with you and comparing lives. As a matter of fact, I have no problem inviting you to our home, our lives, around our friends and to our jobs..seriously. As long as you're willing to do the same. I have zero issue putting my life under a microscope of your judgment…I admire people's audacity and flagrant disrespect to total strangers.

You must be a real gem of a winner and life and I (we) would love to learn from you.

Also, this listing sold for $1.3mil in Time Magazine's 'Top places to live/raise a family' Parker ranked in at number 12 out of 50 chosen places for safety, cost of living, schools, amenities, etc…didn't see 'Altadena' on there buddy. lol.

Again, it's personal preference, but I'd spend $1.3 on this:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale..._rs/?3col=true

Did you even look at the pictures of the house you posted? lol. Or you just saw that it looked 'big' and was over 3500 sq ft. Sorry, altadena and being 14 miles from 'downtown/skid row LA' isn't my idea of luxury.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
So you don't like Los Angeles/California, you're moving to your "dream come true" home in Denver, but you don't feel comfortable and you're not sure what the problem is...

Not exactly sure what you want us to tel you. I find it odd you posted this thread here in the Los Angeles forum. If you're so unhappy, move and don't feel so nervous about it. If you feel you've made the right decision, then leave without regrets.
After reading these responses, I wonder why I posted it as well. lmao!!! this sh*t is pure comedy. My point was moreso of being a first time home buyer and super frugal in general. Also that though I've never pictured living in LA longterm, the fact that I'm actually moving (sort of), is still amazing/shocking b/c as I stated I'm a creature of habit.

I guess I'm one of those odd souls, who when faced with a major life change, regardless of how wonderful it is, still has doubts, excitement, questions, insecurities of the 'unknown/change' that is impending. I admire all of you city data pros. You guys really have it all figured out.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,254,304 times
Quote:
Actually my ultimate trepidation is that I'm a first time home buyer and tend to be a noncommittal frugal person. Not it being 'boring.' I'm a family person, with children and a husband. A husband, who works successfully in entertainment. We do the red carpets, we go to the premieres, and great parties, when we choose. We have some friends who are are legends in this business/industry, so yes, we can live 'vicariously' through them as well. We also have a plethora of friends who are struggling to 'make it,' pay the rent, finally get that big job, etc. We live through them and their hardships as well.

As for a fabulous home, as you mentioned, fabulous to me, simply means, good/above decent school systems, a neighborhood that is safe, and not a block away from a 'hood' or industrial environment. No earthquakes and worth what it cost to purchase it. My definition of what's nice and 'worth' lets say, $700,000 let alone $1.5mil, may vary from many people, especially if you are born and raised in SoCal, whereas, the places I've lived and state I'm from, the cost of living is just waaaay lower. So I still carry those values with me.

I guess it's hard for folks to comprehend. We will live in Colorado, work in LA part of the year and then spend some time in Florida and at our home in the Caribbean. Moving to Colorado doesn't lock us into only being there, b/c we work here, NYC, Atlanta etc. It's more about us having an escape from L.A. that we call 'home' vs only having that here. Fortunately, unlike most, we have the luxury to have all of that vs having to solely stay here.

I'm glad you enjoy Whittier and the life you and your wife have created. I'm interested in knowing how your home/neighborhood is. What did you pay? Would you post a photo of your home? I'd love to see what you define as nice/comfortable.

I think that's what it all boils down to (bolded for emphasis) expectations.

I agree I think Angelenos have always kind of tempered their want because the COL has always been higher in LA...and it's gotten worse in recent years.

I grew up between a refinery, train tracks and a dairy on the border of La Mirada and Santa Fe Springs. Not giving a sob story, just stating facts. My parents still live in that house and a couple of years ago it was valued (not worth) over 500k.

That has obviously changed. But housing is and will always be high here.

So, seeing the ups and downs in the market and seeing what my wife and I could afford we've always watch House Hunters with a bit of contempt because we'll see a Student and a Writer (in an area other than New York or LA) complain that there isn't that 5th bathroom that they've always wanted.

---

That being said, we're still renting. I won't post the house, but its a 3 bed 2 bath (originally 3 bed 1 bath) that was originally around 1k sqft. And to be honest this works and I couldn't imagine having that much of a bigger house.

Here is a link to a neighborhood we're eyeing: https://www.redfin.com/city/20869/CA...6&market=socal

This house is out of our budget, and it has a guest house which we don't need at the moment (houses in this area are around 550-650k). But the area is middle-class families, finishes are clean and the main house is big enough.

Schools are OK, there are some 'hood' areas a couple miles West and South, but nothing too rough. But also this area is semi-secluded and some streets are very nice (Think: Beverlywood or Pasadena). There are even nicer areas in the hills that I don't think even many Angelenos know exist.

So that's what's comfortable. Its nice knowing that my family is 10 minutes away and all of that which is priceless.

So as much as I like being snarky like Hyperion, I'll try to temper that and wish you luck. Change isn't easy, but if you're really worried about your frugality, possibly consider spending a bit less and use that extra money to invest in case of a rainy day.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I'll bet you're a writer. Novels?
Lol.
Novels. TV. Features.

You, a comedian?

Old 12-15-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think that's what it all boils down to (bolded for emphasis) expectations.

I agree I think Angelenos have always kind of tempered their want because the COL has always been higher in LA...and it's gotten worse in recent years.

I grew up between a refinery, train tracks and a dairy on the border of La Mirada and Santa Fe Springs. Not giving a sob story, just stating facts. My parents still live in that house and a couple of years ago it was valued (not worth) over 500k.

That has obviously changed. But housing is and will always be high here.

So, seeing the ups and downs in the market and seeing what my wife and I could afford we've always watch House Hunters with a bit of contempt because we'll see a Student and a Writer (in an area other than New York or LA) complain that there isn't that 5th bathroom that they've always wanted.

---

That being said, we're still renting. I won't post the house, but its a 3 bed 2 bath (originally 3 bed 1 bath) that was originally around 1k sqft. And to be honest this works and I couldn't imagine having that much of a bigger house.

Here is a link to a neighborhood we're eyeing: https://www.redfin.com/city/20869/CA...6&market=socal

This house is out of our budget, and it has a guest house which we don't need at the moment (houses in this area are around 550-650k). But the area is middle-class families, finishes are clean and the main house is big enough.

Schools are OK, there are some 'hood' areas a couple miles West and South, but nothing too rough. But also this area is semi-secluded and some streets are very nice (Think: Beverlywood or Pasadena). There are even nicer areas in the hills that I don't think even many Angelenos know exist.

So that's what's comfortable. Its nice knowing that my family is 10 minutes away and all of that which is priceless.

So as much as I like being snarky like Hyperion, I'll try to temper that and wish you luck. Change isn't easy, but if you're really worried about your frugality, possibly consider spending a bit less and use that extra money to invest in case of a rainy day.

Yes. I can totally understand the family being close aspect. If either of our families were close, I think moving would be that much harder. As for being frugal, we were approved at well over $3m and are buying under $1…so in terms of our finances, I think we are being frugal. BUTTTT…me being how I am and from the midwest, I still look at homes back there that are $400,000 and amazing. lol. Alas, we can't move back there for various reasons. We have great retirement, close to a mil in cash, 401 k, life insurance, I think we're pretty covered, not to mention our investments, so my worry really is self created only b.c of my weirdness about saving, when in reality, the world could end tomorrow and then what?

Sidenote, Pasadena (south) is one of my favorite places.

Thanks for keeping it level headed and wishing us well. We wish you guys the same. x

Old 12-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Reality is harder to digest then imagination.
You're filling your mind with worry.
Just stick to the facts about what you need and throw in a little of what you want.
Write it all down since your a writer and then read it back to yourself in a third person frame of mind. It'll help you listen to yourself think.
No one here has the answers you seek, they are all locked up inside you.
You just need to let them out and capture them so you can know yourself better.
Words of wisdom and exactly what I do through my writing. I guess I shouldn't have necessarily written on city data and instead in my MACbook, then I could bypass all of the angry folks. Thank you for the reminder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles